Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo)

MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo)
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi.

Does anybody know when these will be due for release?

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 03:16 PM

Nobody knows for sure, but there are rumors around saying that it will be tomorrow (Sept 25th)...Apple is pretty unpredictable, so we have to wait and see....I am ready to buy!
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

kernokerno
Sep 24, 2006, 04:41 PM

im almost ready to order and ready to replace my g4 iMac

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2006, 05:53 PM

Anyone know when tomorrow Apple's event is supposed to be?

shecky
Sep 24, 2006, 09:10 PM

16:30 local Cologne, Germany time.

thats 10:30AM Eastern Time, USA and 7:30AM Pacific Time, USA.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2006, 09:27 PM

Excellent. I can get my hopes dashed for a revision early in the day, then

Honestly, I'd be happy even if the only revision were a move to a 2.33GHz Yonah, never mind the Merom.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim
... I'd be happy even if the only revision were a move to a 2.33GHz Yonah, never mind the Merom.
Not me. I have been waiting for true 64-bit capability in MBPs because I believe that now that true 64-bit capability is ubiquitous we will see heavy apps like the ones I use taking advantage of 64 bit capability during the life of any new computer purchase.

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 02:52 AM

I'm interested. What kind of 'heavy app' gains from a 64 bit CPU when only 3 GB RAM are available? And yes, I'm serious. I do some parallel HPC and I know applications that benefit from 64 bit CPUs, however those also require more RAM than what you could put in a MBP. So what kind of stuff do you use?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 07:56 AM

I just want one that doesn't unexpectedly shut down or get overheated unless you underclock the GPU. If they could do that in a redesign a Merom would be icing on the cake.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by thiagofll
Nobody knows for sure, but there are rumors around saying that it will be tomorrow (Sept 25th)...Apple is pretty unpredictable, so we have to wait and see....I am ready to buy!
okay, it's 7a here in houston (germany is what... 6 hours ahead, meaning it's 1p there) ... and no announcements that i've seen yet.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'm interested. What kind of 'heavy app' gains from a 64 bit CPU when only 3 GB RAM are available? And yes, I'm serious. I do some parallel HPC and I know applications that benefit from 64 bit CPUs, however those also require more RAM than what you could put in a MBP. So what kind of stuff do you use?
is 3GBs not enough for 64bit?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by shecky
16:30 local Cologne, Germany time.

thats 10:30AM Eastern Time, USA and 7:30AM Pacific Time, USA.
oh snaps. i didn't read your post. guess i'll add the photokina rss feed to thunderbird so i can keep up with all the news.

i did see the fuji s5 and man ... talk about a sweet camera!

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 10:51 AM

who is livebloggint this apple event? Should have been in progress for 20 minutes now

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 11:10 AM

Macrumors has updates:
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...25104838.shtml

So far just Aperture .

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 AM

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 11:24 AM

i thought i saw adobe lightwave (universal) now in beta.

salaryman
Sep 25, 2006, 12:08 PM

So no MBP updates at Photokina. Anyone willing to wait another month or two?

A "Special Event" for a point upgrade of Aperture is pretty lame. My guess is that they're still trying to fix the myriad of problems with the MBP and MB - they'll only release with Merom when they're fixed. See you in January!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

I don't want to wait anymore, but the negatives I've read in the forums force me to.
Don't care about the speed bump, but the paint chip and battery issues bother me.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

salaryman
Sep 25, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by osiris
I don't want to wait anymore, but the negatives I've read in the forums force me to.
Don't care about the speed bump, but the paint chip and battery issues bother me.
For me it's:
  • The Whine
  • The Heat
  • The Battery
  • The Price :-)
Couldn't care less about the Core2 Duo - I just want a reliable Revision B MBP

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:07 PM

i want it all, and i know apple can do it.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:08 PM

do you think it could still happen tommara?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I consider it likely that the Mac OS as well as relatively "heavy" apps like Photoshop, Aperture and their ilk will take advantage of true 64-bit technology as their versions evolve over the next few years. I have also stated that laptops have always been, and are today, seriously compromised for usage on heavy pro apps. However, folks like me still use such compromised boxes part of the time since portability is such a huge benefit. IMO we will be running apps/OS that take advantage of true 64-bit on Merom MBPs even though they will indeed be RAM limited.

I have stated ad nauseam on these forums that being limited to 3 GB of RAM for pro desktop boxes is lame. Also I have repeatedly expressed my hope for additional RAM availability in Mac laptops. Hopefully when they give us true 64-bit they will also gives us more RAM. Hopefully. The extra heat from added RAM is of course a limiting factor.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Sep 25, 2006 at 03:35 PM. )

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

day's almost over and no new macbook pros with core2duo ... this sux.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 04:34 PM

I think you guys should hold out for Core3Duo just to be safe.

Graham UK
Sep 25, 2006, 08:51 PM

Yeah I'm not convinced the Core 2 Duo machines will make that much difference. Most of the issues have been fixed with recent MacBook Pro machines, and from what I've read (though happy to be corrected on this), the Core 2 Duos don't represent that much of a difference. I think the big re-design will come next year with a new case, and perhaps Intel's new flash storage technology to boot the OS instantly.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 11:59 PM

right now all i need is a macbook with ACD

salaryman
Sep 26, 2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Graham UK
Yeah I'm not convinced the Core 2 Duo machines will make that much difference. Most of the issues have been fixed with recent MacBook Pro machines
Most of the issues? Which ones? I'd be interested to know.

As I understand it, the CPU still whines and it gets hotter than hades. This is why I got a refund on mine three months ago and still haven't had it replaced.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
I consider it likely that the Mac OS as well as relatively "heavy" apps like Photoshop, Aperture and their ilk will take advantage of true 64-bit technology as their versions evolve over the next few years. I have also stated that laptops have always been, and are today, seriously compromised for usage on heavy pro apps. However, folks like me still use such compromised boxes part of the time since portability is such a huge benefit. IMO we will be running apps/OS that take advantage of true 64-bit on Merom MBPs even though they will indeed be RAM limited.
What do you do that will actually benefit from this?

And for "heavy pro (audio) apps", the MacBook/MacBook Pro both compare *very* favorably to the last generation of G5 computers.

If you consider not having QUAD processors in a laptop a "compromised box", I'm not quite sure what you're arguing.

I have stated ad nauseam on these forums that being limited to 3 GB of RAM for pro desktop boxes is lame.
The pro desktop boxes haven't ever been limited to 3GB. The G4s could take 2GB, and all pro desktops released since the first G5 in June 2003 at least 4GB; most of them 8GB.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
What do you do that will actually benefit from this?
I guess we are just not communicating. The words seem clear enough to me: "I consider it likely that the Mac OS as well as relatively "heavy" apps like Photoshop, Aperture and their ilk will take advantage of true 64-bit technology as their versions evolve over the next few years."

And for "heavy pro (audio) apps", the MacBook/MacBook Pro both compare *very* favorably to the last generation of G5 computers.
I do not disagree with that statement and never have; you said audio, not me. Not true for non-UB graphics apps like Photoshop, however. Photoshop is simply adequate - slower than DP G5s - on MacIntel boxes, and will remain that way until PSCS3 is UB in Q2 2007.

Note that my focus is always on future performance since a box not yet purchased is only used in the future, typically 2-5 years. Admittedly the future requires forecasting, but I consider what happened last generation with last year's apps and OS to be of extremely limited relevance to a new purchase decision. Also boring.

If you consider not having QUAD processors in a laptop a "compromised box", I'm not quite sure what you're arguing.
Pretty simple: in my experience with laptops since day one laptop boxes have always been compromised performers in comparison to desktop boxes for heavy graphics apps like Photoshop and (more recently) Aperture. As a consequence IMO anyone planning heavy graphics usage and buying a by definition less capable ("compromised") laptop box should endeavor to buy the strongest possible laptop. Late September 2006 my forecast is that means waiting a few weeks for Merom.

The pro desktop boxes haven't ever been limited to 3GB. The G4s could take 2GB, and all pro desktops released since the first G5 in June 2003 at least 4GB; most of them 8GB.
Sorry, my statement was admittedly a bit confusing. My oft-repeated point is simply that IMO the 3 GB RAM limitation of iMacs makes them poor desktop choices for pro graphics use. Note that I also considered the 4 GB G5s poor choices for the same reason, and that has now been proven out by the fact that PS now works best with 8 GB RAM, limiting pros trying to maximize PS performance.

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 03:33 PM

since a box not yet purchased is only used in the future, typically 2-5 years.
Let me point out here that this is your personal opinion.

I and most of my colleagues at work replace our performance critical boxes at least every 18 months on average. We would never have 2-5 year old hardware when performance is critical. It is not wrong to buy hardware for 2-5 years, but it is your personal preference and not something that applies to everybody.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 04:11 PM

i'm kinda with you on the last point. i like laptops and would not mind getting a macbook (-pro) because i like to computer mainly in front of television or bedroom and not be stuck at a desk (i'm at a desk all day at work ... ick) ... anyhow, i want the best possibly future-proof chip (and merom seems one step above yonah).

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 12:50 AM

Future proofing is important, especially when the working life of a Mac can be ten years.

I think the lesson here is that you keep the computer for as long as it's useful to you. If your work really pushes the hardware then yes, you'll replace your machines in 18 months, but whoever owns it next (your kids, a student, desktop office user, etc.) will probably keep it for years. Buy a machine today and it will still be productive with MS Word in 2015. The question is how long will it keep up with new applications as they come out?

I have a G3 iBook that is 6 years old now. It still surfs the web great, runs Office, and even Photoshop. The last year or so introduced some things that it just can't cut, like H.264 video and Garageband. So now I'l hand it down to someone who does less with it, like just checking their email and some word processing, for them it still has a couple of good years in it. For me, if instead I had bought the G4 powerbook I could still squeak some more time out of it.

Five years down the road most apps will make use of 64 bits. The software always catches up with what the hardware can do. Even simple email will be encoding, converting and encrypting video. So a machine bought today with a 64 bit dual core chip will be useful just that much longer.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Links
Forum Rules