Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Before Maddow's Sex Change Operation

Before Maddow's Sex Change Operation (Page 4)
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I plainly stated my point a couple of pages back as well. If you don't have any arguments left, then just stop.
Oh yeah me too. I plainly stated why you're wrong a couple of pages back as well. If you ever get curious about what makes you wrong you can just read the whole thread, I don't have time to point it out to you. Also your behavior clearly shows that you have a political identity confusion, that something has happened to you mentally causing you to act this way. Just throwing it out there for you, cause I thought you might be interested to know it.

screener
Senior User
Jul 21, 2010, 04:32 AM

Stupendously stupefying the arrogance.

I don't see anything stupendous about your opinions on this or most anything else you post here.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Not the same wording, no, but roughly the same intent behind both terms in this situation.
So if someone is suffering from some kind of mental or emotional issue, they by default are "insane"? Really?

Are you really going to go on record as stating that you believe that everyone seeking therapy or guidance due to some kind of emotional or mental challenge they are dealing with is "insane?"

If that's really the route you need to take in order to try to make a point, good luck. I don't think it's going to be very convincing.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Jul 21, 2010 at 06:46 AM. )

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Stupendously stupefying the arrogance.

I don't see anything stupendous about your opinions on this or most anything else you post here.
Thank you for your substance lacking personal attack. That really was a substantial contribution to the debate.

Your acknowledgement that you really don't have anything worth sharing but lots of valueless free time on your hands is duly noted.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Oh yeah me too. I plainly stated why you're wrong a couple of pages back as well.
I asked a question. Where did you plainly state why I had a "wrong" question? I can't find it.

On the other hand, if you go a few pages back and simply look for the text "my point is," you really can't miss it unless you are suffering from some kind of reading comprehension problems. It's my belief that you understand the point, but don't really want to know why it is that Maddow made the 180 degree change in question because it might highlight some kind of emotional or mental flaw in her which might make her appear less rational. Much easier to just argue around the point, throw out ad hominems and change the subjecct.

Also your behavior clearly shows that you have a political identity confusion, that something has happened to you mentally causing you to act this way. Just throwing it out there for you, cause I thought you might be interested to know it.
I've shown no confusion in regards to my political identity. I've been pretty consistent. I do believe though that experiences in my life have caused the development of my political beliefs depending on the issues, which I've always been glad to share with others if they are curious.

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2010, 08:37 AM

So if someone is suffering from some kind of mental or emotional issue, they by default are "insane"? Really?

Are you really going to go on record as stating that you believe that everyone seeking therapy or guidance due to some kind of emotional or mental challenge they are dealing with is "insane?"
Perhaps I was indulging in hyperbole, but it certainly was inferred from your tone in your posts. To deny it or try to pretend you didn't intend the implication is ingenuousness I'd be surprised by.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 09:11 AM

stupendousman, since "mentally ill" is rather broad, please explain to us which type of mental illness you were referring to.

also, do you think Maddow (someone I wasn't aware of before this thread) suffers from this mental illness? and, if so, why?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 AM

I asked a question. Where did you plainly state why I had a "wrong" question? I can't find it.

On the other hand, if you go a few pages back and simply look for the text "my point is," you really can't miss it
Are you sure? Did you try that?

Anyway, you asked why someone would choose to look like an attractive lesbian. You were told it was to attract lesbians. If you couldn't figure that one out by yourself, you have a little mental problem of your own. Since I know you are aware of this phenomenon called "homosexuality," it's my belief that you understand the point, but don't really want to know why it is that Maddow made the 180 degree change in question because it might highlight some kind of emotional or mental desire in her which might make her appear less straight. Much easier for you to just argue around the point, throw out ad hominems and change the subjecct.

...unless you are suffering from some kind of reading comprehension problems.
Thank you for your substance lacking personal attack. That really was a substantial contribution to the debate.

Your acknowledgement that you really don't have anything worth sharing but lots of valueless free time on your hands is duly noted.

I've shown no confusion in regards to my political identity. I've been pretty consistent.
Consistently a total hypocrite. I'm glad you've found your niche.

I do believe though that experiences in my life have caused the development of my political beliefs depending on the issues, which I've always been glad to share with others if they are curious.
Until you're asked to own up to them, at which point you evade, backpedal and ad hom with the rest. Example: How does simply "she's gay" not answer your question? I await your evasions, backpedaling and ad homs.real answer: in stupendousworld, lesbians are merely straight girls who are too ugly to attract boys, and since the picture in the OP wasn't that ugly, stupendousbrain threw a spaz

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2010, 10:44 AM

Which questions have went unanswered?
You've repeatedly discussed men who shave in defense of your definition of "naturally feminine". Is a lack of facial hair "naturally masculine"?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You've repeatedly discussed men who shave in defense of your definition of "naturally feminine". Is a lack of facial hair "naturally masculine"?
Well beards are scratchy...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Perhaps I was indulging in hyperbole, but it certainly was inferred from your tone in your posts. To deny it or try to pretend you didn't intend the implication is ingenuousness I'd be surprised by.
I never said anything about insanity. That's the bottom line. Unless of course you immediately infer that all mental and emotional challenges equal "insanity", which would be a problem on your part not mine. You engaged in hyperbole because it's easier to debate issues that you create rather than the tougher ones that are presented to you. It's really not that uncommon here.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
stupendousman, since "mentally ill" is rather broad, please explain to us which type of mental illness you were referring to.

also, do you think Maddow (someone I wasn't aware of before this thread) suffers from this mental illness? and, if so, why?
I don't know if she suffers from some kind of mental challenges or illnesses. I just asked the question, because I do think it's possible.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 07:05 AM

It's in defense of reasonable grooming as compared to your peers. Most men shave. Most women manage their eyebrows. These things are the norm, not an unusual effort made to appear different from the norm.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 07:12 AM

Anyway, you asked why someone would choose to look like an attractive lesbian.
What do lesbians look like? Could you provide me a break-down so I can spot them?

You were told it was to attract lesbians. If you couldn't figure that one out by yourself, you have a little mental problem of your own. Since I know you are aware of this phenomenon called "homosexuality," it's my belief that you understand the point, but don't really want to know why it is that Maddow made the 180 degree change in question because it might highlight some kind of emotional or mental desire in her which might make her appear less straight.
So, lesbians want to look like men?

Until you're asked to own up to them, at which point you evade, backpedal and ad hom with the rest. Example: How does simply "she's gay" not answer your question?
Because I wasn't aware that being gay caused you to want to look like the opposite sex. I know a lot of gay people who don't desire to appear to be the opposite sex. I'm guessing we are dealing with two separate issues here, unless of course being gay is (or can be) just part of some overall sexual identity confusion or something.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2010, 08:31 AM

I don't know if she suffers from some kind of mental challenges or illnesses. I just asked the question, because I do think it's possible.
Alright, then. stupendousman has officially backed away from any claim that Maddow is mentally ill, instead chalking it up to random speculation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Well beards are scratchy...
My beard never scratches me

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 11:24 AM

What do lesbians look like? Could you provide me a break-down so I can spot them?
I take this to mean that you DON'T think all lesbains look the same?
Because I wasn't aware that being gay caused you to want to look like the opposite sex. I know a lot of gay people who don't desire to appear to be the opposite sex.
I take this to mean that you DO think all lesbians look the same?

So, lesbians want to look like men?
No silly, they all want to look like swans

(male swans, I'm sure)

I'm guessing we are dealing with two separate issues here, unless of course being gay is (or can be) just part of some overall sexual identity confusion or something.
Oh just admit it already. You're a lesbian. This is a safe place for you, you're among friends. We won't judge you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 22, 2010, 11:28 AM

defense of reasonable grooming as compared to your peers
Sounds like the sequel bill to the defense of marriage act.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2010, 11:36 AM

Grooming is important to attract the opposite sex, and for your country:
YouTube - MST3K Short: Body Care And Grooming - 0510 - The Painted Hills

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

It's in defense of reasonable grooming as compared to your peers. Most men shave. Most women manage their eyebrows. These things are the norm, not an unusual effort made to appear different from the norm.
Noted.

Third time's a charm. Is a lack of facial hair "naturally masculine"?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2010, 01:32 PM

So. We've learned that you're insane if you wear too much makeup, or if you wear none. Changing from a B to a D doesn't mean you're insane. What about D to B? We need to make a checklist.

Where does the middle ground occur? A woman's choices appear to be either harlot, lesbian, or June Cleaver.

Lesbians wear aprons and cook brownies too you know.
"Math is hard."* A table, or checklist might be confusing.

*sorry, this was for humor value only. Any ref to Mattel's embarrassment over Math Is Hard Barbie brings a smile to that thing I call my face.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2010, 01:32 PM

Also, does someone have brownies? I swear I thought someone mentioned cooking brownies.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

I have brownies. I recommend putting them in the oven for a few minutes before you eat them. That'll make the chocolate chips all nice and melty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 22, 2010, 02:18 PM

I like brownies, but only when they have reasonable grooming as compared to their peers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 22, 2010, 02:35 PM

Michael retrieves Oscar and asks him to give her some "Afternoon Delight" to relieve her stress. Oscar mistakenly believes that Michael is referring to a particular kind of marijuana ("Afternoone Deelite") and tells Michael that he'll put it in her brownie.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 06:31 AM

Alright, then. stupendousman has officially backed away from any claim that Maddow is mentally ill, instead chalking it up to random speculation.
It's always been random speculation about whether she might have some kind of mental or emotional challenge which has caused such a drastic change. I never claimed one way or another.

No, I don't. I wasn't aware that being a lesbian also made you want to appear to be a man, or at least sometimes that was the case. That seems to be what people are saying here. I'm betting we are dealing with separate issues here.

Noted.

Third time's a charm. Is a lack of facial hair "naturally masculine"?
Not "naturally masculine". It's simply part of a normal male grooming regimen. Some choose not to, but it is the norm and what most men do.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2010, 08:30 AM

No, I don't. I wasn't aware that being a lesbian also made you want to appear to be a man, or at least sometimes that was the case. That seems to be what people are saying here.
I don't think it's that being a lesbian makes one wan to appear to be a man, but, in all likelihood, being a lesbian will probably cause someone to be attracted to different traits, in turn causing some lesbians to groom themselves in ways that will accentuate those traits (just as straight men groom themselves to accentuate traits that they think women are attracted to and women groom themselves to accentuate traits that men are attracted to).

Of course, not all lesbians will be attracted to the same things, just as not all straight men or women are attracted to the same things. Makes it awfully hard to stereotype people, doesn't it?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 08:36 AM

I don't think it's that being a lesbian makes one wan to appear to be a man, but, in all likelihood, being a lesbian will probably cause someone to be attracted to different traits, in turn causing some lesbians to groom themselves in ways that will accentuate those traits (just as straight men groom themselves to accentuate traits that they think women are attracted to and women groom themselves to accentuate traits that men are attracted to).
It seems to me you guys are saying that there are lesbians that are attracted to what typically would be looked upon as traditionally masculine traits. Seems to be a big contradiction there. Women who claim they are attracted to women, who wish to look like men because the mate they are looking to procure finds traits that are traditionally masculine to be attractive. Yeah...I'd say that's probably the result of some kind of gender confusion. Possibly genetic, I suppose. Not normal by any means.

Of course, not all lesbians will be attracted to the same things, just as not all straight men or women are attracted to the same things. Makes it awfully hard to stereotype people, doesn't it?
It's not hard to look at a situation and seeing something that diverges from the norm so greatly, and that seems to make little logical sense, to figure that there's something more to what's going on than simple fashion choices.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2010, 08:43 AM

Not normal by any means.
Not normal from *your* perspective, perhaps (it's annoying how subjective "normal" can be, isn't it?). Certainly not uncommon. I work with 3 lesbians, 2 of whom groom themselves in ways that you would describe as "masculine".

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 09:50 AM

Not "naturally masculine". It's simply part of a normal male grooming regimen. Some choose not to, but it is the norm and what most men do.
Is there a rationale for your application of a double standard?

The male norm is not to look natural. Why is it when women do the same they are natural?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2010, 09:56 AM

I've lost track of the thread of conversation in here. What are we down to now? Last I checked stupendousman used his preference to conformism to infer that the strongly divergent have mental problems. What have I missed?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
No, I don't. I wasn't aware that being a lesbian also made you want to appear to be a man
Well aren't you a man of contradictions. Do you even listen to yourself?

Being a Mac user doesn't make you want to dress like this:

But you can be pretty sure that anyone wearing that is a Mac user. Did I just blow your mind?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 11:39 AM

I let her blow my, uhm, mind

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2010, 11:55 AM

One more time, with feeling.

screener
Senior User
Jul 23, 2010, 12:09 PM

Everything you've posted since proves my post that the above was in reply to.

You know nothing about the subject yet continue with ignorant crap.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 06:54 AM

Not normal from *your* perspective, perhaps (it's annoying how subjective "normal" can be, isn't it?). Certainly not uncommon. I work with 3 lesbians, 2 of whom groom themselves in ways that you would describe as "masculine".
Not normal from any true perspective. Most women simply don't do this. We are probably talking about a tiny fraction of the population of women who could possibly be suffering from some kind of gender identity issues if they feel compelled to do things in a traditionally masculine way.

Is there a rationale for your application of a double standard?

The male norm is not to look natural. Why is it when women do the same they are natural?
The male norm is for them to groom themselves in a way that gives them a clean, minimalist look to their facial hair. The same is true of females. No double standard that I can see.

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Everything you've posted since proves my post that the above was in reply to.

You know nothing about the subject yet continue with ignorant crap.
Your unsupported opinion is noted.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2010, 12:04 PM

Not normal from any true perspective. Most women simply don't do this. We are probably talking about a tiny fraction of the population of women who could possibly be suffering from some kind of gender identity issues if they feel compelled to do things in a traditionally masculine way.
Why? Why? Why? Why? WHYYYY??

If a women wants to have short hair, that is their choice. If they don't want to wear makeup, also their choice. If they want to wear khakis, ditto. If they want to forgo shaving their legs, ditto. None of this means they have "gender identity issues", necessarily. There are no rules for what a man or woman must look like except for the ones in your head.

The male norm is for them to groom themselves in a way that gives them a clean, minimalist look to their facial hair. The same is true of females. No double standard that I can see.
Do men with big ass beards have gender identity issues? Should I ask about metrosexual men?

Your really bizarre and strange narrow minded view of the way things ought to be according to your world (but aren't in reality) is also noted.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 01:10 PM

Aaaaaand he's back!

they feel compelled to do things in a traditionally masculine way.
"compelled?" Not "preferred?"

andi*pandi
Jul 26, 2010, 02:06 PM

Let's not confuse natural with "cultural norms." Cultural norms change with the times, the place, and with whatever advertisers are trying to sell us. Natural is the way God (or other) made us, without added crap. I know lots of hetero women who also look like Maddow. They have attracted traditional male mates and don't have gender confusion.

If we had more than 5 women on 'NN, we could have a survey and see how many conform to television star level of makeup and grooming on a daily basis.

It is really interesting how one can plant ideas with a seed of a word. It can make one feel innocent of slander, yet give one the secret satisfaction of getting a point across and a dig in. Added bonus for hinting that anyone who doesn't understand you literally is intellectually lacking, and well then, icing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2010, 02:09 PM

Not normal from any true perspective.
"True" perspective.

It's always the adjectives that make stupendousman's posts worth reading.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2010, 02:37 PM

Let's not confuse natural with "cultural norms." Cultural norms change with the times, the place, and with whatever advertisers are trying to sell us. Natural is the way God (or other) made us, without added crap. I know lots of hetero women who also look like Maddow. They have attracted traditional male mates and don't have gender confusion.

If we had more than 5 women on 'NN, we could have a survey and see how many conform to television star level of makeup and grooming on a daily basis.

It is really interesting how one can plant ideas with a seed of a word. It can make one feel innocent of slander, yet give one the secret satisfaction of getting a point across and a dig in. Added bonus for hinting that anyone who doesn't understand you literally is intellectually lacking, and well then, icing.

What I'm dying to know is whether stupendousman has a hard time choosing words that appropriately convey what he is intending to say, or whether he truly feels the way he does about the norms of genders, sexuality, homosexuality, and all of the other stuff that gets him into trouble here.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2010, 03:15 PM

I know lots of hetero women who also look like Maddow. They have attracted traditional male mates and don't have gender confusion.
This. Ask my friend Mickey. She's hetero, buzzes her head, doesn't wear much (if any) makeup, and constantly has boys fawning over her.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What I'm dying to know is whether stupendousman has a hard time choosing words that appropriately convey what he is intending to say, or whether he truly feels the way he does about the norms of genders, sexuality, homosexuality, and all of the other stuff that gets him into trouble here.
And this.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 08:12 PM

I'm curious as to how you arrived at such an unsupported conclusion. As I've said before, you don't get out into the public much. I deal with the public every day (in large numbers), and your "clean, minimalist look to their facial hair" just isn't so. There are millions of men with beards, mustaches, VanDykes, etc., and for you to make such a statement shows how little you actually know about the subject, which has been pointed out more than once here, by more than one person.

As is yours, backed up only by your closed mind.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2010, 08:33 PM

Not normal from any true perspective.
How is a "true perspective" defined?

screener
Senior User
Jul 27, 2010, 04:35 AM

How is a "true perspective" defined?
A start would be to admit you don't have a true perspective, then bow out of this thread gracefully.

Not gonna happen, not with someone who needs stupendous as moniker.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2010, 03:37 PM

A woman with very short hair wearing a pretty feminine dress!

YouTube - Erykah Badu 'Orange Moon' Live at North Sea Jazz Festival

Cue exploding heads!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2010, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
A woman with very short hair wearing a pretty feminine dress!

YouTube - Erykah Badu 'Orange Moon' Live at North Sea Jazz Festival

Cue exploding heads!
Clearly she must have some sort of mental illness for not adhering to stupendousman's "true perspective" of what women must look like.

... hmmmm ... in which other cultures have we seen where the men dictate how women should look?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2010, 04:47 PM

Look, proof that stupendousman is right!

Photo of the Day: July 28, 2010 - DCist

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules