Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Milk

Milk
Ham Sandwich
Dec 15, 2019, 02:17 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 15, 2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Maybe if they cared more about their own health and the environment they would drink more milk
Is there scientific research saying that people don't drink enough milk? Drinking less than they used to doesn't mean they're drinking less than they need. The "official" US dietary guidelines of decades past were heavily influenced by corporate lobbyists.

When our version of the Food Guide came back to us revised, we were shocked to find that it was vastly different from the one we had developed. As I later discovered, the wholesale changes made to the guide by the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture were calculated to win the acceptance of the food industry. For instance, the Ag Secretary’s office altered wording to emphasize processed foods over fresh and whole foods, to downplay lean meats and low-fat dairy choices because the meat and milk lobbies believed it’d hurt sales of full-fat products; it also hugely increased the servings of wheat and other grains to make the wheat growers happy. The meat lobby got the final word on the color of the saturated fat/cholesterol guideline which was changed from red to purple because meat producers worried that using red to signify “bad” fat would be linked to red meat in consumers’ minds.
More here: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-food-pyramid/

We don't need milk to be healthy. We don't need as much red meat as we consume.

Cows and goats have been pooping for thousands of years.
Sure, but the earth hasn't housed a billion cows before the last couple decades.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2019, 05:28 PM

It’s not about how many cows there are (the USDA says that number has been declining over the last few years). It’s about how “efficiency” in cattle production, particularly milk cattle production, has changed how most cattle eat. And that is a major contributor to greenhouse gas production.

The best quality beef is grass fed from a variety of grasses in open fields. But that’s more expensive than feeding grains - particularly corn and corn byproducts - and open grazing is itself expensive. The same is true for milk cattle, plus there are added levels of overhead for milking equipment, storage, calf management, and so on. So cattle farmers go for less expensive feeding sources when they can.

The problem is, just like in people, cows make more gas when they eat lower quality food. The environmental issue is that cows make methane as part of their ungulate digestive system, and they burp and fart that into the atmosphere. When we stress beef and milk production numbers over quality, we increase the amount of methane cattle herds produce.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Dec 15, 2019, 08:11 PM

I don't drink (cow) milk anymore, at least for the last few years, and I severely limit my daily intake of milk or its derivatives. I do enjoy some nice vanilla ice cream from time to time (In fact, I have 2 half gallon tubs of Costco's vanilla ice cream in my freezer now). The reason is that cow milk is for a baby cow, which is supplied by a mommy cow. This mommy cow is very hormonal right now as she has just given birth to a baby and must supply all nutrients to her baby in the form of milk. These are cow hormones, not human hormones.

I guess the same can be said for chicken eggs, but I still eat them on a regular basis.

I do drink soy milk on a regular basis.

Some cultures thrive on animal milk, basing their entire diets on milk and the byproducts of milk. These are like the Norwegian culture, Greek, and Mongolian. Also, I read the famous book called "The China Study" (which is a misnomer because the vast majority of the book mentions very little about China and the analysis of which is very, very poor), but the guy basically says drinking milk can cause health issues.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Sure, but the earth hasn't housed a billion cows before the last couple decades.
They're not dairy cows, their beef cattle.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
They're not dairy cows, their beef cattle.
Their beef cattle what?

edit: Sorry that was dumb.

But I don't know why it matters if they're beef or dairy cows, the OP listed both uses.
( Last edited by Laminar; Dec 16, 2019 at 01:47 PM. )

andi*pandi
Dec 16, 2019, 12:57 PM

a lot more people are lactose intolerant than before. Whether we can blame that on antibiotic overuse, pesticides, other chemicals in our bodies, who knows.

I drink almond milk more than regular milk now. I gave it up after going through an allergy elimination diet, and although I drink milk now, I can accept almond milk as a substitute, satisfying and tasty. For cheese and ice cream though, gimme the real thing. Soy milk, GTFO. Oat milk just seems silly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2019, 01:47 PM

Lactaid is good stuff.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2019, 05:52 PM

Setting the environmental argument aside ... am I the only one who finds it "odd" that we are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk from another species? Especially when nutritionally it's not necessary?

OAW

mindwaves
Dec 17, 2019, 09:10 AM

That is the argument some people make, but others may say that we are the only humans capable of drinking milk from another species, therefore it is ok. I find it weird myself, but I'm not against it for that reason. I just don't think it because it comes from a hormonal female cow who, when drinking its milk, may influence your own hormones or growth pattern.

I drink soy milk and occasionally almond milk. I even own a soy milk machine, but I rarely use it. Buying it is much easier and way less messier.

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2019, 01:25 PM

I don't know about the environment, but from a health aspect, I try and avoid dairy.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-and-cancer/
one post closer to five stars

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2019, 12:31 AM

I'm always deeply skeptical of websites with nutrition in the name.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2019, 08:43 AM

Understandable, but they site all their sources so you can interpret yourself. The sources are reputable.
one post closer to five stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules