Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook dying, what should I replace it with?

TiBook dying, what should I replace it with?
cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 10:37 AM

So my rev A. TiBook 500 which has been showing its age, has finally started to have significant power source problems (the metal tip in the middle of the power adapter plug broke off inside the PB and now you have to put a weight on the cord to get a charge). Bottom line? It's near time for a new Mac.

Now I know pretty much anything will feel fast compared to my TiBook, but I have a few questions:

(1) I know Memron just started shipping and so presumably there will be MBP updates soon. Any ideas on whether this will result in updates or price changes on the MBs?

(2) I'm not a heavy gamer (TiBook has limited me that way for quite some time now), and I don't do much in the way of heavy graphics lifting. I do much more heavy browsing/downloading/emailing/word processing/x11 - remote access type work. That said, I do like longevity in my Macs, and screen real-estate is a good thing. So, MPB or MB?

(3) Anybody have any luck with negotiating something other than the standard packages offered by the catalogue people? With who? (I already own a reliable laser printer for example, and would rather have, say, a discount on a Nano or Airport Express, than the case/printer deals that are usually offered).
cpac

Dr.Michael
Jul 26, 2006, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by cpac
So my rev A. TiBook 500 which has been showing its age, has finally started to have significant power source problems (the metal tip in the middle of the power adapter plug broke off inside the PB and now you have to put a weight on the cord to get a charge). Bottom line? It's near time for a new Mac.
Are you the kind of guy who buys a new car when the ashtray is full?

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Are you the kind of guy who buys a new car when the ashtray is full?
No - I'm the kind of guy who's had a TiBook for the past six years or so, and doesn't want to spend any money repairing a very out-of-date machine.
cpac

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2006, 10:37 AM

If you plan on using your new Mac for a long time, get a MacBook Pro, or a refurb PowerBook. I would wait to get a MacBook Pro until after WWDC however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules