Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is It True You Get An Upgrade If You Purchase a Mac and Then Someting New Comes Out?

Is It True You Get An Upgrade If You Purchase a Mac and Then Someting New Comes Out?
PJJames
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 03:05 AM

Hi there,

I heard a while back when the Macbooks were released and the bottom of the line processor in the MBP was bumped to 2.0 from 1.83 that Apple was refunding the difference or upgrading peoples purchases within the 14 day period. Is this true they do this? Reason I ask is I just recieved my Macbook Pro and if the Core 2 Duo is put into them, I'd be curious to see if there'd be any refund or exchange I'd be offered.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

pcummins
Jul 31, 2006, 04:03 AM

Maybe a refund of the difference if it's close enough. I doubt an exchange, though. At this point in time everyone + dog (and cat) knows Apple is likely to release a revised MBP within 2 months or so, if you didn't have it already I would have waited to see how it pans out. (If it was still in CTO status, you'd have a leg to stand on, or if you planned on leaving it in the box for a while...)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by PJJames
Hi there,

I heard a while back when the Macbooks were released and the bottom of the line processor in the MBP was bumped to 2.0 from 1.83 that Apple was refunding the difference or upgrading peoples purchases within the 14 day period. Is this true they do this? Reason I ask is I just recieved my Macbook Pro and if the Core 2 Duo is put into them, I'd be curious to see if there'd be any refund or exchange I'd be offered.
yes,
HOWEVER, this is only true if a the computer that was upgrade was purchased in the last 14 days. if you buy something and 15 days later they upgrade it you are as they say S. O. L.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 09:21 AM

I thought that it was 30 days.

goof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 10:27 AM

What is true is that as soon as I buy an Apple product, exactly 15 days later, it will be upgraded, SUSTAINTIALLY upgraded.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 10:57 AM

yep. they're out to get you.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
I thought that it was 30 days.
I actually asked when I was in the Apple store last week. It's 14 days.
cpac

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 02:53 PM

Oh man. Still is pretty considerate of Apple though.

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 02:59 PM

So they'll literally pass on a new computer to someone just because they've released something? Doesn't that seem weird? It's very considerate and cool....but wow....this is a real thing huh?
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 03:14 PM

I would say it is real. They have a document about it on their website if you look hard for it, you can find it.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 04:19 PM

Ever since the Apple store existed there has been a rough policy about doing something like this. Before that, you could not buy from Apple direct unless you were an enterprise customer, so you had to argue your case with the retail store, like Best Buy.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 11:34 PM

My friend was one of the first 500 people to buy the 15" MacBook or something, Apple contacted him, he sent it via mail (after backing up all his stuff and deauthorizing his iTunes), Apple paid for shipping, they sent him a 17" about 5 days later. As simple as that.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules