Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport express alternatives for iTunes streaming?

airport express alternatives for iTunes streaming?
cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 11:39 AM

Currently I've got a network/music/backup solution cobbled together over the years which has resulted in the following mess:

HP laserjet - cord plugged into laptop as needed to print
Scandisk HD - firewire cable plugged into laptop as needed to time machine/backup
Stereo cord - cord plugged into laptop or ipod to play music
airport (snow) base station fed from cable model and running out to a vonage phone box

Obviously this can/should be consolidated. Time Capsule would seem to address everything (base station, printer connection point, still allowing vonage phone to be plugged in) EXCEPT the stereo cord component. Unfortunately the stereo cord is the one we most frequently plug in at all; but an airport express doesn't solve any of the other issues and in fact, creates one by precluding use of the vonage phone box.

So the question is: Are there other solutions that I could add to a Time Capsule to make this work? Any elegant solutions?
cpac

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2009, 04:14 PM

Time Capsule and Airport Express.

That was easy.

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 05:01 PM

Sure - but it's the redundancy that I hate - I have no need for a second wireless hub or even the second USB port (and could do without plugging another thing in down there.

Having spent more time looking around though, I'm sure you're right. No third parties seem to have solutions, or at least not anything simpler than adding an airport express. Wish Apple would just do that too....
cpac

wrambro
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2009, 04:21 PM

I second mduell. Easiest way to go, hands down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules