Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Eragon: The Movie

Eragon: The Movie
Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 12:02 PM

Anyone else eagerly anticipating this movie? http://www.eragonmovie.com/

I read the books last year and I was amazed at the ability of such a young author. The trailer looks a bit heavy on the fighting aspects of the story even though they were not major sections of the book. I am hoping it is only to generate interest in the movie for people who have not read the story.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 12:03 PM

BTW: It comes out December 15th for the holiday movie season.

Oversoul
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 12:11 PM

Well, my girlfriend loves the books (although she said the prose in the first book takes a while to get into) and she's eagerly awaiting the third and final chapter.

I found Eragon and Eldest a bit derivative.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
Well, my girlfriend loves the books (although she said the prose in the first book takes a while to get into) and she's eagerly awaiting the third and final chapter.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Oversoul
I found Eragon and Eldest a bit derivative.
Explain.

hart
Senior User
Dec 17, 2006, 06:46 PM

bump bump bump from beyond the grave....

Anyone see this? Yesterday morning the theatre was half empty which I take as a bad sign.

I'm just wondering, was it me or did this movie seem like a mad sprint from plot point to plot point to dash panting over the finish line in preparation for the next movie. And then they didn't even really set up the plot for the next one anyway. I'm trying to figure out why almost two hours wasn't enough even with liberal and vigorous plot cutting. And the cutting and messing with the story didn't even seem that effective anyway. They seemed to be obligated to give John Malkovich lots of screen time which added nothing to the movement forward of the story plus lots of minutes thrown away on admonishing the Ergels (sorry, I listened to these on CD so I have no idea how to spell anything).

This movie covers roughly the same ground as Fellowship of the Rings in terms of it's place in the trilogy but Fellowship seemed relatively luxurious by comparison. I don't know if you could even tell what was going on if you hadn't read the book and it probably wasn't helped by deliberately hasty and blury camera work and editing.

Any thoughts?

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 06:49 PM

From what I have heard it is more fun to watch paint dry.

here is my source: i have not seen it but it sounds Lame with a capital L

Eragon
( Last edited by mania; Dec 17, 2006 at 11:20 PM. )
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 06:56 PM

spoilers

i enjoyed it. and without knowing anything about the books (or there being books; found out afterwards when i heard people talking) i knew there were was going to be more movies. i figured out several items that were making the plot of the second movie. maybe it is just the way i watch?

what made me chuckle was how much the characters reminded me of those in certain bunch from lucas: eragon = luke; brom = obi wan, arya = pricness leia. eragon wanting to get back home to save his uncle just like luke on the farm.

i understand that george's stories had many underlying themes from fables, etc. but at times i thought it was too much to take. i kept waiting for eragon to start wining about power converters.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
plus lots of minutes thrown away on admonishing the Ergels (sorry, I listened to these on CD so I have no idea how to spell anything).
It's spelled Urgal IIRC.

I haven't seen the movie, and don't plan to. It got an amazing(ly pitiful) 14% on Rotten Tomatoes.

You know a movie is bad when the only reviewers they can find to quote in the ads are from some local TV channel in the middle of nowhere. I think the ad for Eragon in the NY Times the other day quoted some website (read: guy's blog), and a local news guy from Cleveland.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
spoilers
What made me chuckle was how much the characters reminded me of those in certain bunch from lucas: eragon = luke; brom = obi wan, arya = pricness leia. eragon wanting to get back home to save his uncle just like luke on the farm.
So its the same as harry potter then? Just saved myself some cash, cheers
( Last edited by Spook E; Dec 17, 2006 at 09:18 PM. )

hart
Senior User
Dec 17, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
what made me chuckle was how much the characters reminded me of those in certain bunch from lucas: eragon = luke; brom = obi wan, arya = pricness leia. eragon wanting to get back home to save his uncle just like luke on the farm.

i understand that george's stories had many underlying themes from fables, etc. but at times i thought it was too much to take. i kept waiting for eragon to start wining about power converters.
I think Eragon did whine about the power converters in the book. Did you notice the tribute shot (I say generously) in which Eragon looks pensively off over the farm into the setting sun? At least there weren't two suns. My 8 year old was pointing out the parallels during the movie. They're actually not so strong in the book; the movie hi-lited the similarities.

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 17, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Explain.
See Review: Woebegone 'Eragon' - CNN.com, notwithstanding mythology that mimics The Lord of the Rings and Dragonriders of Pern, among others.

Still, saw it with my girlfriend last night for the pure escapism value. It's fun, and the locations were beautiful and it's a gorgeous looking movie. I think with this genre it's hard to avoid comparisons to LOTR, especially in film form. But I think Eragon does a decent job translating the world of Alagaësia to film. The movie is much different from the book and the usual liberties that must be taken in the translation from book to film are much more pronounced. The direction and editing also seem a bit confused and it felt like there were a lot of cuts that chopped up the flow of the film.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 11:38 PM

I just read the first "fantasy" novel since I was maybe 13. It was based on the European and historical elements of the Napoleaonic wars. In addition to naval battles they also had air forces, dragons. I read it after seeing a feature on the author in the NY Times. I believe it wa also to be a movie. The title escapes me but I know it had a couple more volumes in the series. Anyone read it?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 11:42 PM

Read up on the Hero Myth Cycle. It's why you have heard this story a million times before.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Ganesha
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 12:07 AM

It's best if you haven't read the books. It be the same as Frodo shooting magic missiles from his enchanted long bow in LOTR.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I think Eragon did whine about the power converters in the book. Did you notice the tribute shot (I say generously) in which Eragon looks pensively off over the farm into the setting sun? At least there weren't two suns. My 8 year old was pointing out the parallels during the movie. They're actually not so strong in the book; the movie hi-lited the similarities.
Yup, I remember that. That too made me comment a few more times. Hahaha. Well, there is only so many ways you can tell the same myth over and over

The Mick
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 12:29 PM

My wife had read the first book and was eager to see the film. She was audibly sighing during the film and immediately after the credits rolled exclaimed, "Well that was a total waste of 20 dollars!"

Having not read the book I can also say that it pretty much sucked, except for the nice visuals and some good CGI. The plot in the movie is rehashed, cliched and derivative.
( Last edited by The Mick; Dec 18, 2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: fixed spelling)

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

hart
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 02:36 PM

I have to say that overall I didn't think it was all that bad. Not as bad as all the bad press it's getting at least.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:41 PM

I haven't read the books but I'd like to see this. Stick a dragon in anything and I'll see it, I love them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 04:54 PM

I was expecting him to fly his Dragon into the Trade Federation Ship and blow it up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 01:00 PM

It is ok but I prefered the Return of the King.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 02:35 AM

What's up with the title? Did they just lack inspiration for their Dragon movie, so they just used the next letter in the alphabet? Don't miss the second and third installments.. Fragon and Gragon

Forum Links
Forum Rules