Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > New Forum Ruins MacNN Site

View Poll Results: Does anyone else notice a slowdown on front page?
Poll Options:
Yes 2 votes (11.11%)
No 8 votes (44.44%)
Sometimes 2 votes (11.11%)
You Must Be On Cr*ck 6 votes (33.33%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
New Forum Ruins MacNN Site
mrl14
Aug 5, 2002, 02:38 AM

Ever since you installed this vbulletin that makes use of mysql and PHP your front end page that uses mysql as well takes a ridiculous amount of time to load. So long that i get sick of waiting and go to another site.

I might be wrong, but I think your forums being very popular are just killing your entire site. I can confirm that this happens from 4 different computers, on 4 different connections, both mac and windows.

I think you gotta either upgrade to some more memory and faster machine or move the forums to their own entire server...I hope you can get this fixed...great site!

thanks!
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

mkbhatia
Administrator
Aug 5, 2002, 01:45 PM

The server stuff this weekend was in preparation for the move we are about to make in a few weeks. The dowtime and slow MacNN main page were unrelated to the new forum software; however, the forum outage this morning was one of the transition things involved with our new database. We have moved the database to larger drive partition so we should be able to accommodate the rapidly growing database. Neal is out, so feel to drop me a line with other major issues. The moderators and admins here should be able to help with other transition stuff. Thanks again.

best,
monish

golly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 12:32 AM

i dunno... but it's moving pretty quick from where i'm standin'.

i think the boards look and work great.

Can one of the admins or mods tell me what CMS is being used for the news section?

thanks,
golly

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 9, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by golly:
i dunno... but it's moving pretty quick from where i'm standin'.

i think the boards look and work great.

Can one of the admins or mods tell me what CMS is being used for the news section?

thanks,
golly
A custom one that we wrote. It's not availble for download or anything (and would be pretty useless if it was, since it's only really designed to work for MacNN).

And as for the original question, the slowdown was unrelated, as Monish said, and the forums have been on their own server for some time now.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mrl14  (op)
Aug 9, 2002, 02:51 PM

yeah things are fine now. Must have been a coincidence =)

Keep up the good work boys (and girls?)

thanks!
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules