Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Drum Style" Low Profile Window Fans??

"Drum Style" Low Profile Window Fans??
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 04:08 AM

This is my window fan. It works great. It doesn't have a "propeller" like a normal fan. It has a large rotating cylinder that move the air. Its a great fan because it moves a ton of air, it moves it much quieter than a normal style fan, AND it is very short. Which is great because the side windows in my house are small (due to sloped roof). So they fully open to about 8.5". Which is too short for almost any normal style window fan. The only fans that will fit, are tiny fans that barely move any air. These drum style fans move a TON of air.

The problem is that they are over 15 years old. The plastic is very brittle and they are falling apart. One of my two already died completely. The one I have now is many broken parts, but I still use it. Does anyone else make a fan like this? These fans are Holmes models HAWF-3030. I've searched and searched, and they don't seem to make anything like these any more.

ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2012, 06:52 AM

In my experience, these are called "squirrel cage" or centrifugal fans. They use centrifugal force to push a lot of air and are very efficient. A quick check shows that it's easy to find replacement fans, but not replacement fan UNITS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 07:03 AM

I can't see any reason why fans like this aren't way more popular than they are. It's a great fan. And I mean any 16 year old plastic "thing" is going to start to get brittle and break.

andi*pandi
May 30, 2012, 08:44 AM

I've never seen a fan like that, but I like how compact it is.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 08:47 AM

When its on high, it moves easily as much air as a full size window fan. And you can throw a lever to have it blow air out instead of in. Which is great when you want to avoid sucking small flies through your screen and sending them into your house.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 09:54 AM

Question of the most importance: can you easily open it to clean it.? A dusty fan can affect indoor air quality and aggravate existing allergies, so for those of us with asthma, keeping the fan pristine clean is a must.

Thorzdad
May 30, 2012, 10:38 AM

Judging by the Holmes company's own site, it doesn't look like they make that type of window fan anymore.

reader50
Administrator
May 30, 2012, 12:13 PM

Amazon has one such model in stock. And it's a Holmes.

Edit: here's another on the web.

andi*pandi
May 30, 2012, 12:16 PM

reseller though.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 30, 2012, 02:47 PM

I have portable heater that has a fan like that in it. I can't remember what the brand name is. Like you say, they move air and are quiet.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 03:31 PM

That second link looks legit, but then it just sends you back to the amazon link with an affiliate link.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 03:37 PM

And on bestemporium.net, it screams "free shipping", but it sends you to amazon where the shipping is $10.50. What a scam of a website.

reader50
Administrator
May 31, 2012, 05:06 AM

An "Eco Breeze" low-profile window fan. Costs a lot more, though it claims to be smarter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules