Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Looking At Buying A 300Mhz iBook.. anything I should know?

Looking At Buying A 300Mhz iBook.. anything I should know?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2002, 09:48 PM

Yeah I'm looking to try and buy a used 300Mhz iBook. And I'm just wondering what the responce has been to those machines. It won't be like for anything big, just typeing up notes portably at college, using to write stuff in places other than a dorm room, that sorta thing. I'll have another Mac for my heavey work.

And can anyone comment if the differnce between a 300Mhz and a 333Mhz iMac running OS X is much differnt?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Oh and I saw something in another post about apple selling refurbs, do they still do this for the older level iBooks?

bfyost
Apr 9, 2002, 10:17 PM

I Have an original blueberry iBook that I got in october of 99. Works fine with osX and is very fast in os 9. I just put it in the local paper for sale. I don't really think you would notice a difference with the extra 33mhz of the 333. The best thing is to have plenty of ram for osx. mine has 160mb. It has been a great machine, not a problem one. Its in very good condition, usual wear and tear. Like I said, im lookin to sell it. I have all of the original packing and software discs. plus I will give a copy of osx and the 10.1 upgrade cd, and the 9.2 cd. So the real question is when do you want me to ship it to you. Really though, post if you want to know more, really want to get rid of it, i want an iPod.
17" iMac 800Mhz G4
12" iBook 600Mhz G3
10GB iPod 2nd Generation
15GB iPod 3rd Generation

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 10:37 PM

My poor Blueberry 300mhz iBook has been collecting dust since I got this new Dual USB model in December. Poor thing

Anyway, it's more than fine for iTunes, the web, typing, etc. Heck, I even did some rather basic Photoshop on it from time to time.
As for OSX, you'd notice a pretty big difference with a 333 iMac because of the faster processor, more video memory, and the fact that desktops generally outperform similarly equipped laptops (for a variety of reasons). One thing is a MUST though: upgrade the RAM! The stock 32MB is just bad, so add an extra 256 and max it out.

Those old iBooks are great machines, and there are only 2 major reasons why I decided to replace it: For one, the 3GB hard drive was getting VERY cramped with my 2+GB mp3 collection. Second, it was a pain carrying that weight on my daily commute. My new iBook has a 20GB drive, is much smaller/lighter, and has nice conveniences like builtin DVD, CDRW, a 2nd USB port, etc.
You may want to look around and see if you can find a deal on a 500Mhz CD-Drive model Dual USB iBook (check places like www.dealmac.com, www.pbcentral.com, and www.dealnn.com). Apple usually only offers refurbs on more recent stuff (check the "Special Deals" section of www.apple.com/store), so you won't find one of those old iBooks there.
If not, then the 300 mhz model should suit your needs OK.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2002, 10:22 PM

thanks for the info.

I live in Canada, so I'm gona try and get one within the country so I don't have to pay duty.
I ran upstairs to my mom today when I saw a 300 for sale on a site, and then my mom was like "599 american works out to around 800 Canadian" I was like SWEET! "But you'll also have to pay duty on it"

So... yeah, I just kinda realized that today so I'm thinking of checking ebay.ca when the time comes to buy and stuff. But I'm not even sure i"ll be graduating this year (yes I know very bad, but it's all my math's fault).
Yeah...

thanks for the info though.

One question is, bout the keyboard, is it around as stable as the old iMac blueberry, same sorta design or might I want to take my Pro keyboard with me to class?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2002, 10:38 PM

Don't even think about running OS X on that thing.

The iBook's keyboard is relatively stable and I would recommend it highly for a notebook. Unless the one you buy is full of dust and hair, it will perform adequately. A Pro Keyboard is giant, and you would look extremely stupid toting an external keyboard to class for use with your notebook. It might not be so insane if you buy one of those jelly keyboards that roll up. There are better keyboards than the Apple Pro Keyboard, anyway.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Don't even think about running OS X on that thing.

</STRONG>
Seanyepez is insane, of course;

I run OS X on iMac 233 machines at 800x600, and on powerbook 333mhz machines at 1024x768.

It works fine. It may not be comfortable for the way you work (lots of windows open, lots of palettes open) but, would it be any better (in terms of resolution in OS 9? I don't think so.

As for speed, a 300mhz G3 with as much RAM as you can put in it will be fine for OS X. (Note: in the two machines I mentioned above, each has 512mb RAM.)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 02:30 AM

Hi Ken. The toilet seat iBook is an outstanding computer. One thing though is that I would strongly recommend you spend the extra few dollars and get the Indigo version. You get the video out, FireWire, next generation LCD and 66mhz faster G3 processor. What's not to like?

My wife had a choice of keeping either of out iBooks last year after I got one of the new dual usb models on a lark. She refused to part with her Indigo because of the keyboard. With the PB 1400, it's probably the best laptop keyboard Apple has ever made. We have 320mb of ram and run 9.1 and are very satisfied.

PeteWK

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2002, 05:34 AM

I don't think I'm asking for too much. OS X boots in a minute and a half on my 500-megahertz Pismo with 512 megabytes of RAM. That's unacceptable; my 350-megahertz Pentium II notebook boots into Windows XP in a mere 27 seconds. Boot-up on a 300-megahertz iBook can only take longer than my Pismo. A two-minute boot-up time is unacceptable to me.

OS 9, for all practical purposes, will suit your needs better than X. There are late versions of e-mail programs and browsers for 9, too. You will spend more time waiting for windows to redraw themselves and the eye candy of Aqua is pretty ugly when viewed at two frames per second than X is worth.

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2002, 06:47 AM

I have the original iBook and the good thing about it is that it's built like a tank (and feels like one too) I have accidentally dropped it several times and it had been rock solid. I even dropped it from about five feet onto a hard tile floor and survived a lot of abuse. When the new iBook 500 combo came out I thought that it would take at least half the abuse and it did the first few spills but the last time it fell it broke the magnesium support frame and messed up the LCD screen display wire so it would boot up but the display was turning different colors and to make a long story short I took it to the Apple store and they fixed it in a week for $170.00 since I have previously voided the warranty by installing a Toshiba 30GB drive in it a while back. I was happy that the repair cost was $110.00 less than what was quoted for the repair. During that time it was being fixed I dusted off my old Smurfbook and I had a new appreciation for the neglected iBook. If you are looking to buy a original iBook I too would suggest a firewire model since it will be more useful for a longer time but, for $800.00 you can probably find a iBook 500CD model and would make running OSX a little more tolerable so shop around and good luck.

Markus
Markus 8^)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2002, 06:47 PM

Heck, 400-megahertz G3 iMacs aren't good enough to run OS X. If you want OS X, you want G4 power.

All but the fastest G3 machines are best left in 9.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2002, 10:04 PM

<STRONG>Don't even think about running OS X on that thing.

</STRONG>
I ran X on my iBook 300 (160mb ram), and found it quite satisfactory for the basic tasks this user is looking at doing. Sure, it's not going to be any speed demon, but as long as you don't have to launch Classic very often, then it'll be just fine.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 09:35 AM

I'll have to agree that OS X is fine for all consumer-type tasks; I use it all the time on the exact same computer.
What kind of computer(s) do you use sean?
you are not your signature

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2002, 10:34 PM

OS X is no speed-demon on an iBook (or anything else for that matter) but it is usable. Sean -- what difference does it make how long it takes to boot up? I very rarely reboot my computers in OS X.

skalie
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by PeteWK:
<STRONG>Hi Ken. The toilet seat iBook is an outstanding computer. </STRONG>
Is that how they are referred to?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2002, 12:19 AM

hah.

Well you know I was looking at the 300 Mhz because I didn't want to make my 333Mhz Blueberry iMac that I'm using right now (his name's Fred by the way) Jelious.
But he's going to be getting a G3 600 if all goes according to plan, with a Firewire port.

So I've acctually been seriously considering the indigo version more and more.

I run OS X at 160 right now.
And I'm prolly gona upgrade the RAM on both computers if I can spare the cash. I'm acctually gona try to get a job fixing Apples this summer, so that hopefully won't be to hard

But yeah I've been thinking that maybe a Firewire hard drive would be a good solution to the small hard drives on both computers, and then I could transfer info by usng that as a glorified really experncive zip disk right?
hah

Anyway, soo yeah, anyone know if you can network two computers using Firewire?[

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2002, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
<STRONG>hah.

Anyway, soo yeah, anyone know if you can network two computers using Firewire?[</STRONG>
Network.... No. Use one in Target mode as an external drive, YES and very handy.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2002, 02:07 PM

Target mode?
Wow you know if I had known before that this was a stupid question, I never would have asked (never assume a PC user friend no matter how high his marks are are right about networking comps using USB... twit.)

Anyway, so how exactly do you do this?

skalie
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2002, 02:28 PM

You can use firewire to transfer files, treating another Mac as an external hard drive?

That sounds supercool.

Degree of difficulty?

crawlingparanoia
Apr 18, 2002, 02:31 PM

Just connect the two computers with a Firewire cable, then hold the T key while you start one of them up. It will then show up on the other computer as a Firewire HD.

msykes
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 03:05 PM

<STRONG>I don't think I'm asking for too much. OS X boots in a minute and a half on my 500-megahertz Pismo with 512 megabytes of RAM. That's unacceptable; my 350-megahertz Pentium II notebook boots into Windows XP in a mere 27 seconds. Boot-up on a 300-megahertz iBook can only take longer than my Pismo. A two-minute boot-up time is unacceptable to me.
</STRONG>
Well, kudos for at least emphasizing the "me". My Lombard 333MHz 320 Megs of RAM boots (from hitting the power key to login screen) in 1 minute and a half. I only know this becuase I was curious, so just rebooted and timed it. What I'm more curious about though, is how often you reboot your Pismo? I guess if you boot into 9 maybe it's a slight issue, but otherwise I don't really miss the 1.5 minutes it takes to reboot every month or two when I install some new software that wants a reboot.

But I'm a graduate student, I guess my time isn't all that valuable! I figure of all the things to complain about with OSX/Apple, boot times are the least of anyone's concern.

And to the original poster, I've run OSX on a beige G3 266/ 320 Megs RAM and it worked fine....

There is a thread called: "Whats the slowest system you've run on X?" in OSX: General Discussion which is semi-interesting.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 08:06 AM

I don't shut down my OSX computers (an iBook/600 and a G4/450). Ever. If I need to reboot them for a software update, I do, but I never shut them down. The iBook sleeps between destinations, but it wakes from sleep before I can get the lid all the way open.

Boot time is a non-issue if you use OSX the way it was intended.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2002, 08:56 AM

just to chime in.

i run OSX on our 366mhz graphite ibook with 312 ram. we pretty much just use it for web surfing via airport and the wife takes it to school with her to take notes on and some other small time stuff but its good.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 09:28 AM

I'd try to get a graphite one, just so I don't look like a complete fairy

I'd actually buy a 466 if it had 1024x768: anyone hacked the display, yet, to perhaps insert a used icebook panel in the 466SE ???

From what I hear they're VERY (VERY) sturdy. Just about the most bullet proof Mac notebook ever made. If you're a klutz, you should consider it. But I think you'll be happiest in OS9.1
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

NDBounce
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 11:51 AM

Unfortunately I am a poor schmuck, so I have a blueberry Rev A (300mhz) ibook.

I upgraded the HD to 12GB, I run OS X (since 10.0.0, but currently with 10.1.4). I also upgraded my ram to 288mb (max for a rev A).

I work in the non profit sector, so I can't afford to upgrade that often, but let me say this to all you nay-sayers. I have designed professional websites on this machine for a soup kitchen in Brooklyn, and for a Parish in Brooklyn. Both websites required me to use photoshop (nothing too major though, just to touch up some photos, perhaps add a feature here or there), IE, Netscape and even VPC (to test the way it would appear to windows users). While this is no Dual 1GHZ G4, the machine worked just fine for what I was doing.

OS X is slow, but (usually) not too painfully slow. My boot time is probably around a minute and a half, but like most people I sleep my machine, so it's not a big deal.

I have an airport network installed (with a cable modem), and that works great.

My one qualm is that I wish I had firewire, mainly b/c I want an iPod, but since I can't afford that at the moment (pipe dreams) I don't get too worked up over it.

So, that being said, I feel that a STUDENT should be able to work just fine with a rev A iBook. If that is what your budget calls for, by all means it will suit your stated needs (word processing, email, and net surfing). If you can find someone selling one with a larger HD you may want to look in to that, as 3GB is small. And you may want to also consider using OS 9 rather than OS X, but as I said, I use the Rev A as my primary machine, OS X as my primary OS and I'm fine.

So take it from someone who ACTUALLY USES THE MACHINE day in and day out, it will be fine. Sure it would be nice to have a better machine, but you don't need to bust the bank for one. A blueberry ibook will be fine.

omac
Banned
Apr 28, 2002, 01:48 PM

the ibook old one is much better made than the new one - the keyboard for starters is superior..

it also feels much more sturdy all round, i dont mind dropping it - did the same with my icebook and the thing broke..

not impressed.

hypermac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 03:58 AM

I am writting this on a Tangarine Rev. b iBook (300mhz, 320 MB RAM, 6GB HD, dsl and airport) running 10.1.2. It is built like a tank, and speed is livable. I'd recommend an indigo or lime (or graphite) 366-466 though, because of superior video and firewire. And you need lots of ram for X (mine is maxed out with 256 added). It is somewhat slower in OS X than OS 9, but acceptable. Boot times? I try never to reboot. Normally, once a month or every two months, so if it is two minutes, it matters very little.

Problems: Batteries last a lot at the beggining, then wear out in no time. Mine came with two, one is gone, and another very much on the way out . Replacements are reportedly hard to come by, since even thouse in storage seem to be having problems. My original power cord bent and eventually sparked. It has been replaced. Otherwise, no problems. For the right price, it would be a great machine for you. And, airport reception is great.
hypermac

SillyMe
May 20, 2002, 11:32 AM

The iBook rev A and B are GREAT tanks (blueberry, tangering, and original graphite on translucent plastics)! I love them. They run OS X OK, given enough RAM. The biggest issue with these computers is that it is all but impossible to upgrade the hard drive. It CAN be done, however, the entire, (let's say that again), the ENTIRE computer must be dismantled to get the that 3GB or 6GB (rev a vs b) hard drive.

My recomendation, if your heart is set on the iBook, is to get the Revision C, which is the indigo, graphite and lime on SOLID white plastic. These have the all important FIREWIRE port. Some have DVD too. These little beauties can get you passed the hard drive issue by allowing for an external to plug in.

All in all, the iBook has a place in my heart. I use my revision A daily, my brother beats the hell out of our revision B, and it still goes strong. My animals walk all over the case, and I never worry like I did for my rev A Titanium. The iBook is a champ, but you knew that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules