Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Activate XP in Parallels After VPC?

Activate XP in Parallels After VPC?
Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 07:33 PM

This question is a little different than the only one I could find on this subject.

I have a copy of WinXP that I purchased in a store a while back (a regular copy that didn't come with VPC) and installed it in VPC & activated it, back in the day...

I'm wondering if the same copy of XP will work under Parallels software (if I do a new install & register it), or will I need to buy a new copy???

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 08:37 PM

I have read elsewhere that since it is the same machine, even though it is installed twice, it is considered the same install and if you wanted you could use VPC, Parallels, and Boot Camp with three installations of the same copy of WinXP with no complaints from the Windows activation/registration system.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by skipjack
I have read elsewhere that since it is the same machine, even though it is installed twice, it is considered the same install and if you wanted you could use VPC, Parallels, and Boot Camp with three installations of the same copy of WinXP with no complaints from the Windows activation/registration system.
That seems rather odd to me though, and this means no I guess...

I havn't been using VPC on my intel mac, it was on an old G3 iBook (painfully slow)... I thought VPC wouldn't run on intel macs at all... I would assume most users of VPC bought it for their G4/G5 macs origionally, so thats kind of why this whole thing has confused me...

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by skipjack
No, it's not the same machine. The VM in VPC is different from the VM in Parallels, which are both different from the hardware that Windows sees when booting natively.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:04 AM

Correct. Worst case will be you will get the "cannot activate over the Internet, please call the toll free number" bit.

Since it's not a pirated copy, you shouldn't be given too much of a hassle for reactivating it.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
Correct. Worst case will be you will get the "cannot activate over the Internet, please call the toll free number" bit.

Since it's not a pirated copy, you shouldn't be given too much of a hassle for reactivating it.
Indeed, but if you're planning on running the same copy in Parallels and Boot Camp then you'll be on the phone to MS every time you switch...

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
Indeed, but if you're planning on running the same copy in Parallels and Boot Camp then you'll be on the phone to MS every time you switch...

This is what i'd do...:

Make 3 or 4 partitions, one for Mac OS X, one for XP, one for sharing the files in between the two OSes (using a 3rd party app... like "MacDrive"....), and then make a 4th partition for storing a back-up of the pristine, up-to-date (AND ACTIVATED) installation of XP SP2 into a disk image or something.

You can probably do this using Norton Ghost on the Windows side... but i've never tried it since i don't own an intelMac yet... just a thought.

But remember, if you're gonna try this out, don't forget to -ACTIVATE- XP right after you install it, install all the other pieces of software and drivers you need, -THEN- use Norton Ghost to make a backup.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
Just explain what you're doing and ask for a second activation code.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Just explain what you're doing and ask for a second activation code.
...and then wait for the laughter from the other end of the phone.

SkaGoat
Jul 31, 2006, 05:48 PM

If it's been more than 6 months since you last activated you should have no problem at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 08:46 PM

The activation system looks at the hardware. It CANNOT see that you have Parallels and VPC installed because those are both OS X programs and Windows can't see the OS X programs while running in either Parallels or VPC. So at worst it will look like you reinstalled on the same hardware-which happens frequently!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:11 AM

I've installed and activated the same copy of Windows XP on an old Toshiba laptop, in VPC, and now natively on my MB via Boot Camp. All three times, the OS activated online with nary a hiccup... so I'd say you should be fine, though I've never tried it in Parallels.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
...and then wait for the laughter from the other end of the phone.
No problems here...all the calls are outsourced anyway and they don't really care.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The activation system looks at the hardware. It CANNOT see that you have Parallels and VPC installed because those are both OS X programs and Windows can't see the OS X programs while running in either Parallels or VPC. So at worst it will look like you reinstalled on the same hardware-which happens frequently!
True, and the hardware in this case is the VM (as far as activation is concerned, anyway). Thus, the "hardware" in VPC will be entirely different from the "hardware" in Parallels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules