Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buying the Bible

Buying the Bible
reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2019, 05:21 AM

If you've ever wondered what happened to some of those early archeology fragments. Or yearned to own a piece yourself. Well, your questions are answered. Just contact a prestigious Oxford professor, and arrange a suitable payment.
An Oxford University professor has been accused of selling ancient Bible fragments to a controversial US company that has been involved in several high-profile scandals related to its aggressive purchases of biblical artefacts.
A statement published by the Egypt Exploration Society, which manages the Papyri project, claimed it was told by the Museum of the Bible that 11 fragments were sold to it by Obbink in two batches in 2010.
No word on how much it took to buy his honor. Price has probably gone up from 30 pieces of silver.

Apparently one not only renders unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's. The modern technique is to also give Caesar priceless antiquities that do not belong to him. If you cannot beat the Bible -- just buy it.

I'm not religious. Not a believer. But this is one of those things that should earn one a place in hell. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll cast my vote for Dirk Obbink. One express ticket to a warmer climate.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2019, 07:18 PM

Id just say I hope he got enough, or better can hide enough, to live out the rest of his life. He's not getting another job in his field.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2019, 10:06 PM

Something’s not adding up for me. Revoking privileges seems like a slap on the wrist for fraud and grand theft.

Who did Hobby Lobby cut the check to?

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 17, 2019, 02:43 PM

I suspect "revoking privileges" is the first step of the investigation. Not the last step. And payment details (or even a price) are missing from the story. Presumably that's a main focus of the investigation.

Here's hoping there is no statute of limitations on art & antiquities theft. Hobby Lobby should have known the professor did not have permission to sell the fragments, so they're receiving stolen goods. And possibly solicited him into the crime - unless he approached them with the offer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2019, 03:16 PM

The investigation should take less than 5 minutes.

“Yo, Lobby... who did you cut the check to?”

Forum Links
Forum Rules