Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My D button clicks.

My D button clicks.
sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 04:41 PM

I just noticed on my 17" that the "D" button clicks differently than the rest now. It is both an audio and tactile difference.... I am wondering if this is a future (or sooner) repair issue, or just something I am overly worried about. My track pad is also sporadically sticking (unresponsive). I guess I'll have to call and see if my Applecare has run out yet.
Any ideas or experiences with noisy keys and their repairs?
S

ibook_steve
Aug 2, 2005, 05:07 PM

First thing is to try blowing air under the key to see if anything is under there. Compressed air makes this very easy. If the key still misbehaves, pop the key cap off by carefully lifting it from a corner. Check to see that the white "scissor" is not damaged or has any plastic broken off it. If all is well, just push the key back down to pop it back into place. If you still have the problem after this, I'd be surprised, but if do, I'm sure an Apple Genius can help out. As for an unresponsive trackpad, do you mean it's completely dead or it's skipping or what?

Steve

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 07:06 PM

What happens is that I will go to type or otherwise use the keyboard, and when I return I will have to move my finger around the trackpad for second or two before I have any corresponding action from the cursor. Once I am using the track pad there isn't any skipping or such. Not a huge issue, just weird. Thanks for the response on the D key. I will try it shortly.
S

ibook_steve
Aug 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

Go to your Keyboard & Mouse preferences and see if "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is selected under the Trackpad settings. If it is selected, try turning it off. Perhaps you are going to the trackpad too soon after typing, causing the TP to think that it is accidental input, so the TP ignores you for a second or two until you're sure you want to use it instead of the keyboard.

Steve

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 09:08 PM

It was checked. Thanks for that, I hope it does the trick.
S

Forum Links
Forum Rules