Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you log out all users with shutdown

How do you log out all users with shutdown
loren s
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 02:03 PM

I use mulitiple user accounts to divide my work flow, But when I try to do a restart I have to shut down each at a time . Is there a script that will let me shut them all down at once.

Also how can I have each one of them log in at start up ?

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 02:56 PM

If you are in an administrator account when you restart, it should prompt you for a password to automatically log all other users off. At least, that's what mine does.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 25, 2003, 05:59 PM

It doesn't really log them off -- it pulls the plug on those users. So if they have any unsaved changes, they will be lost.

In other words, it's for emergencies only.

tooki

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 10:24 PM

But I have to type in all of the information. I hate that, I need it to just go poof * and shutdown, but safely not a hard restart with command ctrl power

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 12:30 AM

I wish there was a way to switch users without typing in passwords all the time. It seems like if you trust someone enough to share a computer with them you just might trust them enough to skip the security protocol. Is there a way to set it up so you can just switch. That would make the multiple logout a lot more painless too. ???

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

LudwigVan123
Dec 26, 2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I wish there was a way to switch users without typing in passwords all the time. It seems like if you trust someone enough to share a computer with them you just might trust them enough to skip the security protocol. Is there a way to set it up so you can just switch. That would make the multiple logout a lot more painless too. ???
Create users without passwords? (At least, that's what I've heard.) Then you'll have to move all the home directory information from the "passworded" user to the "unpassworded" one.

Not the solution you're looking for, but...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2003, 02:45 PM

Uhhh... you don't need to create new users, just go to Accounts in System Preferences and delete the passwords.

tooki

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Uhhh... you don't need to create new users, just go to Accounts in System Preferences and delete the passwords.

tooki

WOW! I had no idea that could actually be done! That's fantastic! Cool, Thanks. It works!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2003, 05:30 PM

Just beware that if you use the machine as a server, all of those accounts can be accessed remotely without a password.

tooki

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Just beware that if you use the machine as a server, all of those accounts can be accessed remotely without a password.

tooki

What if you just use it as a normal computer? Does that drop security thru the net or (obviously) just security from the actual keyboard.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 05:57 PM

Yeah everyone who knows your IP can SSH into your account without passwords.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 10:02 PM

^^^^^^^
This is true only if you have "Remote Login" enabled in the "Sharing" preference pane. If you have users without passwords, don't enable it - or anything else in there!
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

natan
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 10:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gul Banana:
^^^^^^^
This is true only if you have "Remote Login" enabled in the "Sharing" preference pane. If you have users without passwords, don't enable it - or anything else in there!
[/QUOTE

Well, account passwords make no change in enabling Personal Web Sharing and/or Printer Sharing, so there's no harm in enabling those specific daemons.

cms7912
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Yeah everyone who knows your IP can SSH into your account without passwords.
So is there a way to block a user from these?
I want my account to have remote login, file sharing, etc. But never have the guest account open to these.

Forum Links
Forum Rules