Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Black Friday buys

Your Black Friday buys
mindwaves
Nov 27, 2015, 10:27 AM

I didn't buy anything for today, but 2 weeks ago, got a nice iPad Air 2 64GB for $150 off at Sam's Club. And this was off the typical $587 Sam's price, which made the deal even better.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 27, 2015, 11:26 AM

I got a 42 inch TV from Target on last Sunday for $150, so that was nice.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 27, 2015, 05:42 PM

Old Fire TV stick, $25.

Any special deal shopping that I do this week is online. Crowds can beat it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2015, 06:03 PM

SPL De-Verb plugin for 10€, and the Ableton Live 9 upgrade at 30% off.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 27, 2015, 09:46 PM

I have to admit that I was tempted to buy a waffle iron from Macy's for $8. I resisted.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2015, 09:52 PM

2 Redbox videos, where I had promo codes for 1 free day each.

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2015, 10:00 PM

I bought some baseball cards. Great value.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2015, 10:59 PM

I bought empanadas.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2015, 11:15 PM

I nearly bought some hair clippers but they didn't qualify for free shipping on Amazon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2015, 06:44 PM

I bought a ton of lego dimensions stuff (good deals lego.com), a PS4 bundle (not a deal really), and an extra PS4 controller ($20 off).

Now have a billion tabs open ready for cyber monday deals. I sadly will be buying shopkins. Brrrrr.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2015, 07:34 PM

I picked up the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones on Amazon for $120, and a Kindle Paperwhite for $99.

That doesn't include my Steam purchases.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2015, 03:47 AM

They're good cans for the price.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
They're good cans for the price.
That seems to be the consensus. Think I should pick up an amp for the computer?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2015, 04:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it with those, they're easy to drive without being hypersensitive to noise.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2015, 10:41 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 02:03 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 02:13 PM

Anyone else a sucker for this type of thing?

I can't help myself, then I geek out looking for a place to display it in my HT.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 02:46 PM

Physical media?

Noooooooooo!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 02:56 PM

I can't stand all the artifacting present in streamed movies, even @4k. Visual quality is still leagues ahead with physical media, plus you get better audio.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 03:25 PM

It's ultimately good enough I've kicked the things to the curb.

Perhaps it's a tad early, but since this is the endgame, I've embraced it.

The irony is where I used to keep my DVDs is now where I keep all my motion picture grade lenses.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 03:45 PM

I really don't mind if Blu-rays are relegated to a niche enthusiast audience. In fact, I personally I think it's a better situation, because enthusiast products are generally treated to better extras, premium materials, superior transfers, and better QC all-around. Sure, they cost more, sometimes a lot more ($150+ Criterion Collection Laserdiscs come to mind), but it's real archival quality stuff. In fact, those Criterion LDs look good even today, especially with a good scaler (and that's one reason I still have my LD player setup), especially great because many of them will never be re-released (either due to PC attitudes or lack of public awareness).

So yeah, bring on the boutique, small batch, disc releases, while leaving mainstream video to streaming services, where "good enough" is fine. There are plenty of people who will still want the higher-end product.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2015, 05:48 AM

All I got were some cases and screen protectors for my OnePlus One phone. £1.10 and 50p each instead of £11 / £5, rude not to.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2015, 11:14 AM

I can't stand all the artifacting present in streamed movies, even @4k. Visual quality is still leagues ahead with physical media, plus you get better audio.
Thank you - I tell family and friends this and they laugh this off. Yet somehow they don't mind looking at blotchy sky scenes supposedly streaming in "full HD".
( Last edited by osiris; Dec 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2015, 11:18 AM

oh, I bought a pair of shoes, a 512GB SSD, more Christmas lights, and just ordered a delightful Almond Stollen from the Red Truck bakery.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2015, 11:23 AM

At least with physical media you don't need to worry about the Wi-Fi not working. A lot of home theatre systems still use DVD players because DVD is cheap and a lot of decent classics are on DVD. Many TV series have actually switched away from putting their seasons out on blu-ray, and will only either provide DVDs or stream it online. Streaming high-quality 720p is not such a challenge given the availability of more affordable, higher-speed bandwidth. Streaming high-quality 1080p is turning the corner. Streaming 4K is a "not yet."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 7, 2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
At least with physical media you don't need to worry about the Wi-Fi not working. A lot of home theatre systems still use DVD players because DVD is cheap and a lot of decent classics are on DVD.
Like...the home theater in a box systems? Show me a high-end HTIB that only has DVD. The only HTIB systems that come with only DVD are low-end, garbage, bottom-of-the-barrel, Wal-Mart specials.

I watched a DVD on my projector one time. Never again.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Like...the home theater in a box systems?
I have no idea what that is. I'm talking about home theatres, you know, a DVD player, a 5.1 surround system around the room, a TV, a receiver...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Thank you - I tell family and friends this and they laugh this off. Yet somehow they don't mind looking at blotchy sky scenes supposedly streaming in "full HD".
Yeah, it looks like poo, especially dark backgrounds. The thing is, most sets are so poorly calibrated that it barely even matters; backlight set to torch (demo) mode, contrast and sharpness through the roof, grayscale untouched, and brightness set too low. I doubt most could tell the difference between 720p and 4k. The best money ever spent towards a HT is a proper ISF calibration (or barring that, even just a good setup disc).

At least with physical media you don't need to worry about the Wi-Fi not working. A lot of home theatre systems still use DVD players because DVD is cheap and a lot of decent classics are on DVD. Many TV series have actually switched away from putting their seasons out on blu-ray, and will only either provide DVDs or stream it online. Streaming high-quality 720p is not such a challenge given the availability of more affordable, higher-speed bandwidth. Streaming high-quality 1080p is turning the corner. Streaming 4K is a "not yet."
4k (2160p) isn't worth streaming, at least not if you have caps, network dropouts, or aren't running at least 100Mb/s (buffering... buffering...). You aren't missing anything, 1080p from BD looks far better, even if you are running 2160p.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2015, 10:23 PM

I may be in the minority here but I simply have no use for physical media anymore. The picture quality of a Blu-Ray is arguably better but for me it's not so much better that it's worth sacrificing the convenience, instantaneous, and clutter free living room that streaming provides. It's the same calculus that led me to abandon CD's in favor of the iTunes Store and now Apple Music. I lost my Blu-Ray player (and various other her pieces of equipment) to a lightning strike about a year or so ago. Didn't even bother replacing it because I rarely used it. I'm doing quite alright with my Apple TV and my U-Verse box. And as soon as there is an Apple TV subscription service available U-Verse will be cancelled. I also used to have a full blown 5.1 surround system as well but I found that a simple soundbar with a wireless subwoofer gave me a very enjoyable experience and the modern, minimalist aesthetic that I now prefer. Gone are the days when I liked having my living area dominated by AV equipment. When I'm finally able to ditch U-Verse all I'll have is my flat screen, the soundbar, and the Apple TV.

OAW

PS: That being said, if I had a dedicated room for a true home theater I would definitely do a 5.1 surround sound system in it. Perhaps when my children leave the nest I'll repurpose the family room where they hang out into that. But for me the main living area is cool with a soundbar and a wireless sub.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 7, 2015, 10:26 PM

I have no idea what that is. I'm talking about home theatres, you know, a DVD player, a 5.1 surround system around the room, a TV, a receiver...
When someone wants to set up a "home theater," you typically go one of two directions.

1. Buy a "home theater in a box." In a single box, you buy a receiver/disc-player combo to which are connected any number of included speakers. Hook it up to your TV and you're done.

2. Set up a component system. Buy a standalone receiver, select and buy individual speakers, select and buy a disc player, etc. then assemble each individual purchase as a kit.

When you said

A lot of home theatre systems still use DVD players
I wasn't sure if you meant, "A lot of home theater in a box systems for sale come with DVD players" or "A lot of people that have home theater systems still watch DVDs." It sounds like you meant the latter?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2015, 10:06 AM

Yeah, it looks like poo, especially dark backgrounds. The thing is, most sets are so poorly calibrated that it barely even matters; backlight set to torch (demo) mode, contrast and sharpness through the roof, grayscale untouched, and brightness set too low. I doubt most could tell the difference between 720p and 4k. The best money ever spent towards a HT is a proper ISF calibration (or barring that, even just a good setup disc).

4k (2160p) isn't worth streaming, at least not if you have caps, network dropouts, or aren't running at least 100Mb/s (buffering... buffering...). You aren't missing anything, 1080p from BD looks far better, even if you are running 2160p.
Oh yeah, you have to calibrate the screen. When my I first turned on my TV I almost sent it back. There are a few sites that offer step buy step calibration guides, perhaps not as a good as a calibration disk, but at least I no longer get a sunburn from the TV .

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2015, 02:05 AM

Beyerdynamic T 70 P Over-Ear Closed Premium Tesla Hi-Fi Headphones | Focus Camera

Want to invest in some great cans (headphones) but don't want to shell out a fortune? Focus Camera has those for $200 and they're really something else. Hell, they're great for $400, at $200 they're an absolute steal. Hurry, time's running out.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2015, 01:19 PM

I bought a Martian Notifier watch - got it for $30. I love it for getting alerts, messages, etc... now I don't have to run around with my phone clenched in my hand all the time. The BT range is phenomenal!

This is a good way to transition into wearing a watch again, we'll see how this idea works.

andi*pandi
Dec 14, 2015, 06:00 PM

I bought one of those martians for the husband, glad to hear you like it!

did you shop meh.com?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2015, 12:21 AM

I thought about picking up a Fire 7 tablet for $35 but decided to wait it out. Joke's on me, they're sold out until after Christmas. It would have been perfect in the car or the kitchen.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I bought one of those martians for the husband, glad to hear you like it!
I also picked up a screen protector - the watch screen is not glass. I think he'll like the watch though, it's very simple yet functional.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
did you shop meh.com?
ah, no... amazon. Forgive me, not sure if I get the reference (been partying a bit harder than normal these days so my mind is mush.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules