Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Trouble installing yasm

Trouble installing yasm
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2010, 11:59 PM

Recently had to reinstall 10.6, and it seems to have broken some stuff I did a loooong time ago..
Trying to install yasm directly I get this:
Code:
[iMac:~/yasm-0.8.0] whatever% ./configure checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... config/install-sh -c -d checking for gawk... no checking for mawk... no checking for nawk... no checking for awk... awk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no checking for style of include used by make... none checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no checking for cl.exe... no configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH See `config.log' for more details.
When I try using darwinports, I get this when I try to update the ports:
Code:
[iMac:~] whatever% sudo port -d selfupdate Password: dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): no suitable image found. Did find: /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper while executing "load /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib" ("package ifneeded Pextlib 1.0" script) invoked from within "package require Pextlib 1.0" (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 40)
I do have xcode installed (reinstalled 10.6 to make sure).

Thoughts?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:23 AM

what do you get when you do a "which gcc"?

As far as the "no matching architecture" MacPorts problem, was your MacPorts environment ever on a PPC Mac?

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
what do you get when you do a "which gcc"?
gcc: Command not found.
As far as the "no matching architecture" MacPorts problem, was your MacPorts environment ever on a PPC Mac?
It's entirely possible that I tried MacPorts in the way back and it could have been migrated forward to my current intel. But after the reinstall of 10.6 I'm pretty sure the MacPorts install is brand new. Last time I installed yasm without MacPorts. I'm not really concerned about MacPorts. The error was provided in case the two problems are somehow related.

I'm trying to compile handbrake... Worked fine before 10.6 reinstall, now it's borked.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
gcc: Command not found.
You do not have the Unix compiling tools from the XCode suite installed then. This might be an optional install within the XCode installer, I don't know. Within them, you won't be able to compile a single thing, Unix wise (the open source stuff you'd compile by hand doesn't use Apple's compiler).

It's entirely possible that I tried MacPorts in the way back and it could have been migrated forward to my current intel. But after the reinstall of 10.6 I'm pretty sure the MacPorts install is brand new. Last time I installed yasm without MacPorts. I'm not really concerned about MacPorts. The error was provided in case the two problems are somehow related.

I'm trying to compile handbrake... Worked fine before 10.6 reinstall, now it's borked.
MacPorts is a great way to compile stuff. The architecture errors usually come up when pieces of MacPorts were built for PPC. You might want to try upgrading MacPorts using the binary installer on their website. Then, you should hopefully be able to run your selfupdate.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You do not have the Unix compiling tools from the XCode suite installed then. This might be an optional install within the XCode installer, I don't know. Within them, you won't be able to compile a single thing, Unix wise (the open source stuff you'd compile by hand doesn't use Apple's compiler).
You were right (of course) . I downloaded and reinstalled XCode and yasm compiled fine. So that's out of the way..

Handbrake at least tries to compile, but fails. Could be a bad nightly, or there is still something else jacked up in my system.

Thanks for the help besson.

Forum Links
Forum Rules