Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Farewell Blaze, my canine friend. [jpg]

Farewell Blaze, my canine friend. [jpg]
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2004, 07:36 PM

After a year and a half, the cancer finally got him.

On Saturday, Blaze was playing ball, romping around his usual self.

On Sunday, he seemed to develop a strange problem, and was in obvious discomfort. We took him to the vet where they ran a full blood work-up and x-rayed his abdomen, but we didn't find anything out of the ordinary (at least for a dog that's had cancer for a couple years). We brought him home, wondering if he would get better.

Sunday evening he would not get up to go to his dinner, and you all know how much Blaze loved to eat. I brought him his bowl, and he gladly scarfed it down, but the lack of mobility was worrisome. A bit later, Blaze got up and went outside to go to the bathroom, and that would be his last time walking.

Because he wouldn't climb the stairs when he came inside, Alicia spent the night on the couch with blaze on the floor beside her.

This morning, Blaze could not get up, and could not walk. We helped him get to the car, and went off to the vet. There is no real way of knowing what exactly went wrong, but Blaze was simply done. He ate treats till the very end, licked our faces, and seemed in no real discomfort, his legs simply weren't working. We stayed by his side as the vet ended his suffering.

We're both very sad (of course) but at least the end was quick and seemingly painless. Hopefully the sadness will be replaced shortly by relief, and memories of good times.

Here's to Blaze, and all the faithful companions out there.

(This one was taken today on the way to the vet.)
( Last edited by AKcrab; Jul 12, 2004 at 07:42 PM. )

quandarry
Jul 12, 2004, 07:43 PM

i have tears in my eyes...

damn that kinda thing really hurts.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 07:52 PM

Condolences. It's hard to lose good friends.

Doesn't look like a puppy. At least you had some good years with him.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2004, 07:54 PM

Yeah, he was 7 1/2. He had a great life, even with three legs.
Thanks for the kind words.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 08:19 PM

What a beautiful friend you had there. (Tears)

My thoughts and prayers.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 08:28 PM

We have a tripod pet (cat). Somehow, they help us appreciate life even more, the way they almost effortlessly persevere.

To Blaze.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 08:36 PM

Have some tears in my eyes as well. It's terribly sad. You have my condolences. I hope you and your wife get over this terrible time soon, and that the wonderful memories of all of Blaze's years remain with you to keep you comfort.
weird wabbit

BustledHedgerow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 08:45 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I lost a dog a few years ago, it's a sad thing to go through. I wish you the best.
The sheep in the meadow go bah.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2004, 08:51 PM

You have my condolences. I had a pet that I had to put to sleep many years ago, and it was not easy.

Gemini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 09:04 PM

He's a beautiful dog. I hope you get to see him again some day.

Gemini

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 09:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Be proud you gave him a good home, and he gave you good companionship.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
We're both very sad (of course) but at least the end was quick and seemingly painless. Hopefully the sadness will be replaced shortly by relief, and memories of good times.

Here's to Blaze, and all the faithful companions out there.
This is what is important for you and for Blaze.
He got a quick, painless end and you didn't have to see him suffer.

My deepest sympathies to you, your wife, and your other pets (who will miss him too).

One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 10:31 PM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 10:44 PM

I'm sorry.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 11:34 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about that, AK. However, it's readily apparent from the photos that Blaze had a great home and a great life. Remember that. For 17 years I had the same dog and cat - I grew up with them - and I still have dreams about them. Good dreams. You will too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2004, 11:56 PM

I'm really sorry to hear it. Hopefully your fond memories of your friend will help ease the loss. Good luck.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 12:18 AM

I don't know what else to say...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:21 AM

My prayers and condolences.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 01:20 PM

i remember reading about blazes amputation a year ago or so. hes a tough one whos been through alot.

my condolences go out to you and yours.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2004, 01:27 PM

Sorry for your loss.

-t

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2004, 01:35 PM

beautiful beautiful dog.

sorry to hear about your loss. i hope all the good stuff lingers for a long time, at that this painful moment now, fades quickly for you.

my mom and i are faced with a similar dilema, that we will have to face, far too soon for my liking.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:43 PM

I'm very sorry. He looks like a wonderful dog.

It's so hard to say goodbye to a dog. I still remember 3 years later what my sweet Sparky's fur felt like against my face. I imagine I always will.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 02:23 PM

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

AKCrab -

Sincerest condolences to you and your family, human and otherwise. The hurt of losing a pet/friend is so sharp at first it makes you wonder why you have pets. But then you think about those 7 1/2 years Blaze was in your life, and you'll remember him not as the cancer stricken dog of the past year or so, but as the great pup who (in these pictures at least) always seemed to have a smile on his face.

You have other dogs, if I remember correctly - it's much harder to deal with a loss when you don't know what happened, I'm sure they are wondering where their buddy is today. These wonderful animals give such intense love, it's even more intense when they are lost.

Just a reminder to us all, be with your family members, whether they are canine, feline, human or otherwise, because our time with them is limited. I'll scritch my critters a little big more tonight.

May Blaze light up wherever he is now!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

My condolences on the loss of Blaze.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 13, 2004, 02:49 PM

I've had my dog since he was a pup. He is 12 now. I've already payed out $500 to get some tumors removed from his stomach a year ago. (Non cancerous) and I know he doesn't have too many years left.

I didn't want to click on this link, knowing it would remind me.

palmberg
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I look at my sweet Beagle Maggie every day at some point and think about how big a hole she's going to leave when she goes. She's over 13 now, and she's been the best dog I've ever met.

Here's to great dogs!
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 03:57 PM

Just a couple of weeks ago I had to put a friend down. His name was Gray Boy, and he was a stray. It took me months to gain trust with him. I finally decided to take him to my vet to have him neutered, where I found out he had kitty AIDS. Here I was all ready to give him a temporary home, and I was forced to say good-bye. Forever. I cried and cried.

Your boy knows how much you loved him. In my heart of hearts, I believe you'll see him again

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 04:47 PM

Sorry to hear that.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2004, 05:11 PM

I feel for you man. Sorry to hear that you had to let your buddy go. But at least you bought him sometime, and it sounds like you all made the most of it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 05:35 PM

my condolences. always think of the good times you had togehter. these memories will last.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 06:51 PM

I read about the leg amputation before, it seems almost like yesterday to me.. Damn. I'm very sorry and sad to read this. My condolences to you all.

Rest well Blaze...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 10:47 AM

Blaze was a trooper- I went and re-read the threads about the initial diagnosis and Blaze's immediate adaptation to his loss of a leg. My condolances on having to say farewell to your companion- you were a very good friend to him. All dogs should be so lucky.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 11:12 AM

You wish they could live as long as you do.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 11:53 AM

cute dog, i'm a cat person but i have been liking dogs more lately. sorry for your loss.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 05:09 PM

Timestamps people, timestamps.

My 3 year old cat "Maia" has been diagnosed with a heart ailment. She hasn't been feeling good the past few days so my sister took her to the vet for me (I work nights, so I sleep during the day). Just got a call from my dad. Vet wants $1,000+ to MAYBE correct the problem. As much as I love Maia, with my weeding and other things coming up, I just don't have the money. There is no guarantee that this will even correct Maia's problem. Who knows what other complications may also arise from this. I'm left with putting Maia to sleep. I think it will be better for Maia in the long run. She was such a great cat, never got mad at anyone. Had all of her claws, yet never scratched the furniture. Maia will be missed.
( Last edited by sideus; Sep 3, 2004 at 06:22 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
I remember this thread from a little while ago and thought it silly to make a new one about my pet.

My 3 year old cat "Maia" has been diagnosed with a heart ailment. She hasn't been feeling good the past few days so my sister took her to the vet for me (I work nights, so I sleep during the day). Just got a call from my dad. Vet wants $1,000+ to MAYBE correct the problem. As much as I love Maia, with my weeding and other things coming up, I just don't have the money. There is no guarantee that this will even correct Maia's problem. Who knows what other complications may also arise from this. I'm left with putting Maia to sleep. I think it will be better for Maia in the long run. She was such a great cat, never got mad at anyone. Had all of her claws, yet never scratched the furniture. Maia will be missed.
Sorry to hear about your cat.

My condolences, and I think you probably did the best thing for her.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 3, 2004, 05:42 PM

It was very kind of you to give him so many chances and to spend so much money on him, you obviously loved him very much and he would have felt the same about you.

Be happy knowing that you gave him a better life then most dogs get.

"Hello, what have we here?

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 05:46 PM

I knew something was seriously wrong with Maia. I said goodbye to Maia last night as she was lying in front of me on my desk. She always would lay between me and the keyboard. A month and a half ago, she stopped jumping up onto the bannister in my hallway. She would jump up there every night and just meow and sing to her hearts content. It was quite funny to listen and watch. Now that I think about it, since she stopped jumping up there, that was probably a sign something was wrong.

Looks like much couldn't be done after all. The vet, who is really good friends with my sister, stated Maia's temperature was very low and that Maia didn't have long before she died. Going to work tonight is going to be rough.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 05:55 PM

I'm sure that Blaze is at the Rainbow Bridge, playing in dog's heaven.

Your post got to me...I'm really sad about it.

But, the best thing is that you gave him a really great life, AKCrab.

Here's to both of you: AKCrab and Blaze.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 3, 2004, 06:07 PM

Going to work tonight is going to be rough.
Tell them you have had a death in the family.

"Hello, what have we here?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 06:09 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, dogs are the best. Fond memories will remain surely

for 13 years, Bob, my dog, was like my best friend. He was put to sleep, and I miss him greatly, but he was awesome. the best.

ice

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 07:09 PM

Frig..

Sorry about your loss.

Remember the happy times.

I am sure that you gave him a great life.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2004, 07:13 PM

If I ever get a three legged pet, I'm gonna name him Lucky.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 07:20 PM

Timestamps people, timestamps.

My 3 year old cat "Maia" has been diagnosed with a heart ailment.

I'm left with putting Maia to sleep. I think it will be better for Maia in the long run. She was such a great cat, never got mad at anyone. Had all of her claws, yet never scratched the furniture. Maia will be missed.
Sorry about your loss, when do you have to do it?

You're probably going to feel like crap for a couple weeks. I found myself with tears in my eyes at the strangest times...

In my case, a quick replacement of Blaze was really a GoodThing�. Sam needed a home, and we had a big void in our household.

Please direct your sympathies toward sideus.
(but thank you to those who missed this thread the first time around!)

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 08:11 PM

She has already been put to sleep. Her temp was 97 degrees. Cats should be about 102. With that low of a temp, the vet stated Maia had pretty much given up. She had heart failure, unusual for a cat that young. Vet said Maia's heart problem probably started 6 months ago or so. A few months ago, Maia was really sick for a week, throwing up and such, but she got better. Now I wonder if the heart problem was the cause of that.

There are other cats in the house, mainly my sisters. I took Maia to be mine and I'll probably never find one with the personality she had.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 08:33 PM

Deeply sorry to hear of your losses.

Gets me choked up, because my daughter had to have her Boxer, Ireland, put down last week. Four years old, got her as a newborn from a neighbor, and she developed tumors about a year ago. They removed them, but they kept coming back, then she took a turn for the worse two weeks ago. It truly is losing a member of the family.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Deeply sorry to hear of your losses.

Gets me choked up, because my daughter had to have her Boxer, Ireland, put down last week. Four years old, got her as a newborn from a neighbor, and she developed tumors about a year ago. They removed them, but they kept coming back, then she took a turn for the worse two weeks ago. It truly is losing a member of the family.
sorry to hear about your loss, and anyone else who has lost a pet. i get worried even if my cat (shadow) doesn't seem himself. i agree that pets are members of the family. so have you gotten a new dog for your daughter?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
sorry to hear about your loss, and anyone else who has lost a pet. i get worried even if my cat (shadow) doesn't seem himself. i agree that pets are members of the family. so have you gotten a new dog for your daughter?
My daughter and son-in-law haven't gotten a new dog yet, but they surely will. They still have a dachshund named Scrappy, and he seems to miss Ireland, so it's just a matter of time.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2004, 02:47 AM

Dogs are the best friends that humans have, period.

They are completely unconditional in their love for us. They never waver in efforts to please us. They continually make us happy.

The truth is that my own personal life would not be nearly as complete as it is if it weren't for having a furry friend. We have a 6-month old Jack Russell puppy who is a little too curious and too energetic for his own good, but he's a good soul.

Dogs, and cats for that matter, have individual and unique personalities. Our Jack Russell LOVES to take a shower -- he'll hop in with anyone and just stand there and wait for you to lather him up. He'd get into the shower with each and every member of the family if he could. He knows how to open the refrigerator door and get out food so we have to watch him. He sleeps at the foot of my/our bed every night. He plays with the kids. He's only 12 pounds but he's 12 pounds of love.

I know that my story is just one of many and each and every person who has a special pet feels very blessed to have that pet in their life.

It's nice to know that animals have good people to take good care of them over the years, just like Blaze did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules