Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Meet my new dog - Sam [jpg]

Meet my new dog - Sam [jpg]
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2004, 09:51 PM

Sam got hit by a car two and a half weeks ago, shattering his right front leg in numerous locations. The vet stabilized him, and tried to contact his owners with their options, but they had given a false phone number. The vet waited two weeks with no word from the owners, and decided to called us practically begging us to take him. We agreed, as long as we didn't have to pay for surgery to fix his leg. Unfortunately, the break was so bad that amputation was the only option, hence their interest in our adopting him. They knew we had just lost Blaze, and were experienced with tripod dogs.

On Saturday he had his surgery, and we picked him up from the vet yesterday. (Coincidentally, exactly one month since Blaze left.)

Sam is about 100lbs, 1/2 Mastiff and 1/2 St. Bernard. He's just the sweetest boy, and even the cats are unperturbed by his presence.

We didn't really expect to get another dog, especially so soon, but sometimes life throws you a curve. Heck, 4, 5, what's the difference?

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 09:59 PM

that sux!
do they make prosthetic legs for dogs?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 10:08 PM

he looks in rough shape. I hope he comes around in the next few weeks.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 10:08 PM

thats great that you took Sam. you have tremendous heart. i have a buddy at work who just got a dog from a family friend...they hadn't taken the dog to the vet in a few years. so my buddy takes her in and everything checks out...but then he notices some bumps on her legs and stomach...he finds out she has cancer. kind of sucks since he got attached to her pretty quick. anyways sorry for the sad story...good luck with the dog.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Sam is about 100lbs, 1/2 Mastiff and 1/2 St. Bernard.
That's one big dog! He looks awesome. His head is huge.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 10:11 PM

Way to cool. Big dogs are to much fun.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 10:12 PM

except taking them to the Vet.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2004, 10:24 PM

It looks bad, but dogs recover from an amputation faster and better than you would believe! He'll be fine within a month.

nredman: What kind of cancer? Is surgery an option?

velodev
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 11:25 PM

Man, I want to say you're a hero to that "little" guy. He's going through a real rough time (think about how confused he has to be) and now he will have a caring home. Seriously, that's a great thing to do.

We adopted two dogs from local shelters and one is the funniest comedian I know and the other, well... she's got some health issues and she gets more love than she knows what to do with...

You have a multiple dogs home, so I hope a) not to threadjack and b) get your opinion/advice. What do you use for food for your dogs?

We have used Euk, Nutro, Solid Gold, and now Innova. At this point, I am just looking for brands others have had success with - as with the current Innova, it seems like our guys are hungry ALL THE TIME. Just curious...

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:30 PM

That's awful! Good for you for taking him in!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 11:31 PM

Buddy! I hope he becomes a happier pooch. Good work.

jerry1
Aug 10, 2004, 11:34 PM

Nice of you to adopt him, here's hoping that you & Sam a lot of good times ahead.

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 11:45 PM

i have one question: how come its dark around the amputated area? is it blood or sweat or something?

besides that, its pretty cool of you to give the dog a home. those owners should be locked away for giving a false number.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
You have a multiple dogs home, so I hope a) not to threadjack and b) get your opinion/advice. What do you use for food for your dogs?

We have used Euk, Nutro, Solid Gold, and now Innova. At this point, I am just looking for brands others have had success with - as with the current Innova, it seems like our guys are hungry ALL THE TIME. Just curious...
The thread is about dogs, no derailing here.

Due to the number of dogs in our pack (5) we have shyd away from the "expensive" foods. Iams, Eukanuba, etc.

Our pups get Purina One - Lam and Rice Formula available at your standard grocery store. First ingredient: lamb, second ingredient: rice. No filler, no artificial color or flavor. It's also got Glucosomine, but we give them an additional supplement.

When we are lazy, we split one large can of purina soft food (the kind with nice chunks) amongst the five with their kibble, adding some hot water to make some gravy. We ususally prefer to make our own "stew".

We start with two or three chicken thighs that we boil for broth, add a shot of garlic powder and a bit of olive oil, sometimes some Italian seasoning... When the thighs are done, we take em out to cool, bring the broth back to a boil and add rice, assorted frozen veggies or green beans, and let it boil till the rice is done. While it's finishing we chunk up the chicken thighs and add the meat back in.

At dinner time, each bowl gets some of the stew, which we reheat in the microwave, usually adding additional water.

They also each get a salmon oil capsule and a vitamin E in their food, and once a day they each get a glucosimine/condroiton capsule delivered in a american cheese wrapper.

Don't even get me started on the supplements we gave Blaze when he had cancer!

I'm really just tickled pink at how cool Sam is, and how quickly he has slipped into our household. I think it was just meant to be.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
i have one question: how come its dark around the amputated area? is it blood or sweat or something?
Yep, he's got two drains in right now, one on each end of the suture. When they went in to do the procedure, they found additional damage in his shoulder, so they had to take a little more than expected. They put the drains in to make sure that large pockets of fluid don't build up. The drains (also called shunts) come out on thursday if everything looks good. The leakage should decrease after that.

The fluid that comes out is basically clear, maybe slightly tinged pink.

Don't get me wrong, amputation is a freaky thing to see, but the recovery is an amazing thing to witness.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 12:14 AM

My old boss has a dog of roughly that size who is also an amputee. It really doesn't seem to affect his mood or mobility. His stamina is reduced a little bit, but he has no trouble moving around and is lively as ever. Remarkably adaptable

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Gator Lager:
Way to cool. Big dogs are to much fun.
Except when it comes to sh!t detail! I have a 140# Great Pyr...

Congrats on the pooch! I've always respected people who adopt "used" pets. Good luck!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

boardsurfer
Aug 11, 2004, 12:41 AM

I love his coloring. Way to take him into your home! Good luck.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Except when it comes to sh!t detail! I have a 140# Great Pyr...

Congrats on the pooch! I've always respected people who adopt "used" pets. Good luck!
ha forgot about the land mines. and yes AKcrab ya done good by adopting him.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 12:52 AM

awe.

That's a nice looking doggie.

A hundred pounds ?

Doesn't that qualify as a farm animal?

Might be some tax-saving incentives if you create a "farm".

My father managed to have a "farm" for several decades. He didn't actually produce anything...that's too much work. Depreciation of farm-related assets is where the real money is at.

Your dog is definitely a farm animal. Hell, we depreciated a pair of Irish Setters that barely tipped the scales at 60 pounds.

Oh, you'll need a pickup truck if you haven't got one already. You can't be a farmer without one.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:30 AM

AKCrab, you are a good soul. Sam looks quite content at your place, despite his recent trauma. It always amazes me how adaptable and good-natured dogs are about adversity. It's one of the things I love about dogs.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 11, 2004, 10:17 AM

What a nice dog. I've seen 3 legged dogs lead a perfectly happy life.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 10:47 AM

AKcrab, I'm really happy for you. It's wonderful for you and your wife and gathering from your postings, I think it'll be wonderful for the doggy too. I'm sure he will bring you two and you him a lot of happiness.
weird wabbit

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 10:57 AM

heh- you got another tripod dog. But why not? They get along just fine.

My dog broke her left rear leg just under 2 weeks ago on Thursday- probably by trying to climb a tree after a squirrel. We took her to the vet, and she was more fortunate- she got surgery and a plate screwed into her bone to keep the parts together, and she's home on Saturday, walking around like nothing happened, except for the huge bandage on her leg. You or I would be hobbling around for weeks, and I have to keep her from sprinting after the neighbor dog 48 hours after this happens.

Really rough part of all this is that stupid cone we have to keep on her to keep her away from her stitches once the bandage came off.... she managed to get the cone off once and rip half them out, so she *has* to have it. It's just an awful contraption, but I haven't found a better way.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 11:29 AM

Sam looks like a real sweet dog. He is very fortunate that you adopted him. I think that getting another dog is good therapy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Really rough part of all this is that stupid cone we have to keep on her to keep her away from her stitches once the bandage came off.... she managed to get the cone off once and rip half them out, so she *has* to have it. It's just an awful contraption, but I haven't found a better way.
What about some bitter compound, e.g. something similar to "nail biter" or other Bitrex-based things... maybe they can put that around the wound so that licking it tastes foul to the dog...?

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
he looks in rough shape. I hope he comes around in the next few weeks.
I doubt a human would look chipper two weeks after getting hit by a car, either!!

tooki

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 12:55 PM

what a sweet dog...good for u for taking him in...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 01:52 PM

That's a really great thing you've done. I'm sure both of you will appreciate it for years to come. Glad to read some good doggie vibe posts, have to take my pooch to the vet tomorrow to check on some problems she's had recently (she's 12).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
What about some bitter compound, e.g. something similar to "nail biter" or other Bitrex-based things... maybe they can put that around the wound so that licking it tastes foul to the dog...?

tooki
It's a good idea, but I just don't trust it to work alone. I've already spent $2200 on the inital surgery, then another $130 on her first trip to the vet to get the bandage removed (she had to be sedated, as the gauze had stuck to the wound in a dried, icky mess), then another $150 to replace the stitches she removed. I just can't take the risk that she can tolerate the taste if she can get to the stitches again. I love my dog dearly, but this has been a rough financial hit in the last 2 weeks, with more to come. The stitches have to come out, and the emergency vet who put her back together wants to do a followup X-ray..... I dunno about that. What are they gonna do? Decide they don't like how it healed and re-break it to try again? I don't think so.....

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:

I'm really just tickled pink at how cool Sam is, and how quickly he has slipped into our household. I think it was just meant to be.
Good karma is it's own reward. And for what you did for Blaze karma has sent another dog in need your way.

You realize Blaze is up there in doggie heaven looking down at you and your missus bragging to the other dogs about how awesome "his people" were. This just confirms that. Good on you.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 04:43 PM

Poor little guy, take really good care of him.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
What about some bitter compound
Bitter apple can work for just this problem. You can get it at the pet store.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2004, 06:41 PM

Nice looking pup! Hope his recovery is swift.

15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
http://www.bonafido.com/page6.html

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 08:02 PM

Interesting. Never heard of it.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:14 PM

Now I wish I'd brought this up 2 weeks ago when this all started. That does look like a much better solution, but by the time it showed up, we'd only get a couple of days use out of it. Definitely something to bookmark if the need ever arises again.

Thanks for the tip.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 11:01 PM

It's ugly, but I give you credit for adopting it.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:13 PM

very nice...

You are a true dog lover.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 11:54 PM

AKcrab,

You are a saint! Sam is lucky to have you. My dog Kodi sends her best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery!!!

Get well soon Sam. Woof!!!!

Kodi
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
AKcrab,

You are a saint! Sam is lucky to have you. My dog Kodi sends her best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery!!!

Get well soon Sam. Woof!!!!

Kodi
Aww, Kodi's a doll! (But the Grinch's dog was named Max! )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 12:03 PM

Really awesome of you to take that nice beast in and give him a home.

You've earned some major good karma points in this world.

Now, are you going to need to start some sort of fund for donations to feed him?

We lost our dog about two months ago and got another one. Jack Russell Terror -- er, terrier. Cool dawg. He came from one of the #1 kennels in the U.S. and was given to us by the JRT rescue group because the people that bought him then treated him like shite because he was acting like a JRT puppy and chewed up their expen$ive furniture so they beat him up routinely and finally just gave him back to the kennel. Problem is, now he's been abused. We're trying to get him back to acting like normal, e.g., not cowering all of the time, pissing on the floor if he hears a loud noise, things like that.

Dogs are awesome -- good luck to you, man.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:

Dogs are awesome -- good luck to you, man.

Sounds to me like you're the one who needs some luck!
I'm sure with patience and kindness you'll fix your pup right up. Dogs just want to please their human companions.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 02:04 PM

Jack Russell Terror -- er, terrier. Cool dawg. He came from one of the #1 kennels in the U.S. and was given to us by the JRT rescue group because the people that bought him then treated him like shite because he was acting like a JRT puppy and chewed up their expen$ive furniture so they beat him up routinely and finally just gave him back to the kennel. Problem is, now he's been abused. We're trying to get him back to acting like normal, e.g., not cowering all of the time, pissing on the floor if he hears a loud noise, things like that.
Poor thing! I love Jack Russell Terrors. They are one smart and spirited breed, and independent, like my dachshunds.
Good luck with him. I think with patience and a loving home (and maybe some outside training help, if you need it), he will come around. Let us know how he does.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 09:55 PM

Pretty awful what happened to him, but I'm glad he recovered.

He should be a neat dog.
Genius. You know who.

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 10:13 PM

MORE PIX PLZ CRAB

HE'S TOO HOT...

PLZ A PIC OF HIM STANDING UP

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 03:51 AM

Hey, AK, if you need some $ for dog food and have a Paypal account we could swing a few bucks your way.

Our dog story is nothing compared to yours. Ours is already starting to act more normal (poor bastard is only 6 months old and already f*cked up in the head from abuse -- people should give animals away if they can't keep from abusing or neglecting them) and I'm sure he'll be fine with a lot of love.

But, you, you've taken over a huge responsibility because it involves ongoing health care, not one that a lot of people would do, so if you ever want a few bucks for help for your dawg then let us know. I'd be happy to contribute.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 12:18 PM

Our dog story is nothing compared to yours. Ours is already starting to act more normal (poor bastard is only 6 months old and already f*cked up in the head from abuse -- people should give animals away if they can't keep from abusing or neglecting them) and I'm sure he'll be fine with a lot of love.
Mine's a "pre-owned" dog also. We never saw any odd effects from the other folks that she'd lived with, except for the day I rolled up the newspaper in my hand and swatted at a fly that was in her general direction. She cowered and trembled to prepare to receive a beating- something she'd never come close to doing before. It was a sad sight for us, and an insight into something that had happened in her past.

I'm glad her previous familes (yes, plural) gave her up when they didn't know what to do with her.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 10:41 PM

I think a progress report is required......

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
I think a progress report is required......

I would say progress is excellent!

You be the judge:

(faces cropped to protect the innocent.)

When someone comes that he knows (like when the other half comes back from the store) he "sings". It's the funniest thing.

wooooooo oooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo woooooooooo woooooooooo oooooooooo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules