Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking at a car w/ a dead odometer... Any way to get engine mileage?

Looking at a car w/ a dead odometer... Any way to get engine mileage?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2007, 09:54 PM

Well, there's a little shop down the street that is selling a 1990 Volvo 240 sedan. It's in fantastic condition. The interior is immaculate. And I've always loved the 240s.

The owner is looking for $1600 OBO because the odometer is dead; crapped out at around 24k.

Now, this is probably a stupid question and I suspect I already know the answer anyways; Is it possible to retrieve the mileage information on a car this old? ie; is it stored elsewhere in addition to the odometer?

I'm assuming that if I had the odometer fixed, it would not only cost a bit but it would also simply start ticking from where it left off.

Any input would be appreciated.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 10:08 PM

I'd start with a CarFax report. A really good mechanic should check it over for you if possible. Millage with a Volvo 240 is not as important as checking compression and general condition of the engine. Look for records of oil changes, especially important if it is a turbo.

Volvo 240's are great. I had a 1983 240 turbo for years. I loved it. I traded it to a friend at 200,000 miles and he has put on a lot more. I've since had a 740 and 760 and I didn't like them as well. Good luck.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 13, 2007, 10:10 PM

There's no way to get the mileage on a car that old other than from the odometer.

Sounds like a good price though. Oh, and everything that design219 said

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 10:19 PM

Even if it has a ton of miles, that car will run for forever. The 240 is probably one of the longest lasting cars of the '90s.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'd start with a CarFax report. A really good mechanic should check it over for you if possible. Millage with a Volvo 240 is not as important as checking compression and general condition of the engine. Look for records of oil changes, especially important if it is a turbo.

Volvo 240's are great. I had a 1983 240 turbo for years. I loved it. I traded it to a friend at 200,000 miles and he has put on a lot more. I've since had a 740 and 760 and I didn't like them as well. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
There's no way to get the mileage on a car that old other than from the odometer.

Sounds like a good price though. Oh, and everything that design219 said
Sounds good.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
90s.
80s.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

alligator
Mac Elite