Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MS plans retail stores

MS plans retail stores
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 04:12 PM

As I'm sure most people here have already heard, Microsoft is planning on copying apple again, this time opening up retail stores. MSNBC is just one news outlet that is carrying the story.

What I find surprising (and the news story touches upon it) is the timing. Retail, specifically electronic stores is a vast wasteland. People are buying stuff, especially expensive stuff.

The second thing is who's computers will they sell, Dells? gateway/emachines, their own, etc? Either way they'll anger some of their direct customers. Then there's the price of the software/hardware. Unlike Macs, there's a ton of places to buy the software at cut rate prices.

apple sells both hardware and software and before opening their own stores and issues with the retail channel. MS sells software to consumers, using just about every retail pipeline known to man, best buy, amazon, walmart. How are they going to differentiate their experience with established stores not willing to give up their sales.
~Mike

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:15 PM

Finally... I'll be able to buy a Windows PC in a retail environment...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 04:22 PM

I'm willing to bet it'll be 95% XBox.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 04:24 PM

Apple's stores were designed with the retail guy from the Gap. Microsoft's stores will be designed by the retail guy from Walmart.

I wonder if Microsoft's stores will have a McDonald's inside it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm willing to bet it'll be 95% XBox.
Ditto. If they are really dumb, they will sell Dell, HP, Sony, etc. PCs but not actually in store. Rather, it'll be set up to enable you to go to the store to custom order from the third party vendor online. But of course, with the benefit of the Microsoft Experience™.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Ditto. If they are really dumb, they will sell Dell, HP, Sony, etc. PCs but not actually in store. Rather, it'll be set up to enable you to go to the store to custom order from the third party vendor online. But of course, with the benefit of the Microsoft Experience™.
Like Gateway did?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:38 PM

Can you imagine their geniuses bar?, that's going to be more crowded than the iPhone app store.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
Like Gateway did?
I never understood that concept, why should I buy a gateway in a store and then wait the two weeks to be delivered. You have to wonder what goes through some executives head. Gee lets have a chain of stores but not sell anything.
~Mike

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
Like Gateway did?
Yep! Can't fail.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Can you imagine their geniuses bar?, that's going to be more crowded than the iPhone app store.
I'm expecting a lot of these kinds of incidents: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/7...t-Office-88272

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 04:49 PM

This is pretty funny macworld
1. Instead of Apple's sheer walls of glass, Microsoft's stores will have brushed steel walls dotted with holes—reminiscent of Windows security.

2. The store will have six different entrances: Starter, Basic, Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate. While all six doors will lead into the same store, the Ultimate door requires a fee of US$100 for no apparent reason.

3. Instead of a Genius Bar (as Apple provides) Microsoft will offer an Excuse Bar. It will be staffed by Microsofties trained in the art of evading questions, directing you to complicated and obscure fixes, and explaining it's a problem with the hardware—not a software bug.

4. The Windows Genuine Advantage team will run storefront security, assuming everybody is a thief until they can prove otherwise.

5. Store hours are undetermined. At any given time the store mysteriously shuts down instantaneously for no apparent reason. (No word yet on what happens to customers inside).

6. Stores will be named Microsoft Live Retail Store with PC Services for Digital Lifestyle Enthusiasts.

7. Fashioned after Microsoft's User Account Control (UAC) in Vista, sales personnel will ask you whether you're positive you want to purchase something at least twice.

8. Xbox 360 section of the store will be organized in a ring—which will inexplicably go red occasionally.

9. DreamWorks will design a scary in-store theme park ride called "blue screen of death."

10. Store emergency exits will be unlocked at all times so people can get in anytime they want even if the front doors are locked.
~Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 05:17 PM

pffffffffffffffffffffffft hahahhahahaahaha

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
i can't wait for the stories

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2009, 07:53 PM

MS already tried this in ~1999, before Gateway and Apple. I think they only had a handful (or perhaps just one in SF) and it didn't work very well.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
i can't wait for the stories
It's just a sign behind a desk that reads, "It's a hardware problem."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
This is pretty funny macworld
haha, reminds me when David Pogue used to work for MacWorld.

MS already tried this in ~1999, before Gateway and Apple. I think they only had a handful (or perhaps just one in SF) and it didn't work very well.
Yes, I think I still have a press ad over here about it… the store looked nifty, more like a boutique than nothing else… I will try to find it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
What I find surprising (and the news story touches upon it) is the timing. Retail, specifically electronic stores is a vast wasteland. People are buying stuff, especially expensive stuff.
I don't find the timing surprising at all. Microsoft is sitting on a ton of cash, and since retail is reeling, there's probably a lot of prime retail space for rent, cheap.

I am surprised at the fact they're doing this at all. It's basically admitting that they're playing catch-up with Apple.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 09:48 PM

I'm really wondering if this will boost their profits any at all, the only thing that I can think is they're gonna steal sales from their partners which will make their partners look for new options.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2009, 04:47 PM

Apple's stores were designed with the retail guy from the Gap. Microsoft's stores will be designed by the retail guy from Walmart.

I wonder if Microsoft's stores will have a McDonald's inside it.
Or a Walmart having a Microsoft store inside it. Maybe they'll call it The Social or something gay like that.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I don't find the timing surprising at all. Microsoft is sitting on a ton of cash, and since retail is reeling, there's probably a lot of prime retail space for rent, cheap.

I am surprised at the fact they're doing this at all. It's basically admitting that they're playing catch-up with Apple.
What? They've never done that before.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 05:30 PM

It's just a sign behind a desk that reads, "It's a hardware problem."
Hehehe...... i can imagine an extremely high turnover rate for their 'geniuses', if they have the guts to actually have geniuses.

I can imagine a "stress room" at the back for customers. it'll have old PCs and baseball bats.

This could turn out to be a rather big PR mess for Microsoft if people actually start going in there to solve Windows/hardware related problems.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules