Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iBank vs. Cha-Ching vs. Moneydance

iBank vs. Cha-Ching vs. Moneydance
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 09:20 AM

I think I'm in the market for a new application to handle my finances. Quicken just isn't cutting it anymore and given the negative feedback on their latest release (in beta form), I'm probably going to jump ship and try another application out.

I'm in the process of demoing, iBank, and Moneydance. I will also be looking into Cha-Ching as well. Iv'e searched this forum, but I've not really seen too many threads comparing these three applications.

My needs are simple, I want ease of inputting transactions, importing (directly or via a file) transactions from my bank and some reporting capabilities and of course simple reconcilations..

So far playing with iBank, typing stuff in is a little different then quicken, while Moneydance resembles the register that is used for quicken.

anyone have opinions recommendations or thoughts regarding iBank, Cha-Ching or Moneydance or even Liquid Ledger (I haven't looked into that one yet_.
~Mike

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 09:37 AM

I got Cha-Ching through a bundle promotion over a year ago. It's OK for my needs but I don't think I can recommend buying it. One reason is that reports are very limited, but the major problem is the pace of development. Version 2 has been at beta for god knows how long now and all that has changed so far is the UI and not a lot else. Reporting is as limited as it ever was. No idea if it is something they aim to improve before 2 goes final, but months go by between each new beta and little feedback comes from the developers about what they are actually doing.

Anyway, I got my money's worth with it but I wouldn't have been happy if I had paid full price for it.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the update, I seem to be leaning towards iBank only because it does seem to be the most robust product. Interacting with it is a little awkward right now because I'm use to working with quicken. Entering stuff doesn't seem as intuitive but I probably could get use to it
~Mike

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

You'll get used to it. I used Quicken for about 9 years before switching to iBank 3. It was awkward at first just because it's a little different. Now I'm right at home with iBank. Also, iBank is actively supported with active forums and regular updates.
Vandelay Industries

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 12:49 PM

I also have a cha-ching license from buying the MacHeist bundle.

Played around with it. Fun, but ultimately doesn't fit my needs.

I'll stick with quicken or quickbooks.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2009, 07:40 PM

I'm still using MS Money 2002 in an XP virtual machine. Cha-Ching had potential, but it's nothing more than a toy compared to Quicken or MS Money. I've not tried iBank, but tried all the rest. Kept going back to MS Money. I'd love to find something native for OS X and sufficiently powerful to handle my Canadian bank and investment accounts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 07:42 PM

I switched to Quicken for Windows (via VMware). Yes, you heard right.
The Mac version just sucked too much, feature-wise.

-t

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2009, 11:21 PM

I have been thinking about doing the same thing... I have no qualms about using Windows in a VM and if it gets me the better app, I'm willing to do it. I want the bank download/integration features that are lacking from the OS X native apps.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I have been thinking about doing the same thing... I have no qualms about using Windows in a VM and if it gets me the better app, I'm willing to do it. I want the bank download/integration features that are lacking from the OS X native apps.
I did it for the multi-currency feature, better tracking of investments (e.g. lots) and much more flexibility in designing reports.

-t

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 09:50 AM

I purchased iBank and getting a feel for it now. There's a lot of the application I like, for instance you can setup import rules to automatically assign categories to transaction.

For what ever reason, quicken 2006 tried to automatically assign categories when I imported transactions from my bank and it always go them wrong. For instance, I get a monthly gym charge, it assigns it to dining, the same goes for when I get gas as Mobile.

The reporting aspect of iBank does not seem as flexible and robust as quicken but its sufficient for my needs.

The budget component seems a little weird, again using the same monthly gym expense, it gives me a monthly average of 6.58 even though I pay 10 dollars a month, every month.

I was expecting quirks and a learning curve but so far I think iBank is much much better then quicken
~Mike

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 02:23 PM

Looks like some of my mutual funds cannot be tracked in iBank since Yahoo Finance doesn't have a listing for them... they have listings in Quicken and MS Money. Shame too because iBank was showing some potential

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 02:51 PM

You can use Google, Yahoo, Motley Fool, or Excite. Change it in the Preferences.
Vandelay Industries

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 03:52 PM

This setting changes only the site used for research (the "Research Selected" item in the Actions drop-down in the portfolio screen)

This thread says it uses Yahoo! Finance for downloaded quotes.

OreoCookie
Mar 23, 2009, 08:50 AM

I've also bought Cha-Ching via the Mac Heist bundle. It's alright. IMO the biggest limitation are budgets. The approach is not very natural. I don't know the other ones … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

hayesk
Apr 1, 2009, 04:48 PM

I use iBank but it's missing some reporting and budget features. For example, I can make a food budget and an entertainment budget, and assign my income against both of them, but it considers my entire income to be available for both budgets, as if I make two complete salaries because my income is in each budget.

Forum Links
Forum Rules