Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple LED cinema display vs. others

Apple LED cinema display vs. others
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2009, 07:38 AM

How does the cinema display stack up against other displays?
Does anyone know the type of display panel being used and is it 8bit, i.e., does it truly show millions of colors or is it dithered.

I'm not sure but my current display is starting to act a little up a bit. The cinema display is pretty pricey at 899. I have an old dell 2405 that has been working great, but lately its not waking up from sleep and when it does takes longer and longer. The brightness is also seemingly decreasing as well.

From what I've heard, dell now uses cheaper display panels that I should avoid.

Any advice on what's a good display for my MBP would be welcome.
~Mike

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2009, 12:51 AM

Sorry, I'm not a graphics guy , so I don't know details, but yes, I've read often that the Apple displays are far more accurate in color display than other monitors, because they're really intended for photo and graphics pros, hence the price premium. I do wish Apple would make a less expensive monitor for those of us who don't need the highest quality, but maybe they figure there's plenty of those out there already , they've become commodified, and there's no profit in it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2009, 04:43 AM

Thing is that any serious, well established brand of display aimed to color work is going to be over what the Apple model goes for, like Eizo, NEC or LaCie just to name a few.

OreoCookie
May 25, 2009, 05:34 AM

The thing to watch out for is most importantly panel type. Any cheap 24" monitor uses TN panels that are not well-suited for serious work on graphics. If you then compare the ACD to the competition (non-TN panel, etc.), it's not really that expensive. Eizo, for instance, is a company that makes very good monitors, but even their small monitors will make the ACD look cheap.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2009, 06:06 AM

So how does the ACD compare?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Eizo, for instance, is a company that makes very good monitors, but even their small monitors will make the ACD look cheap.
Cheap… when it comes to what?, there is more difference between the construction quality (Apple > everyone else) than panel display quality (Eizo's graphic monitors > Apple).

Anyhow, I see more design offices with Apple displays than any other brand, so when ACD may not be the best option for e.g. prepress work, they sure are fine enough for design work.

Oh wait, you're talking about the newest 24" LED display, I was still thinking about the previous 23" & 30" displays which I have… Well, the 24" didn't get brave reviews when it comes to pro work mostly cause the love/hate matte/glossy display thing, which I am not going to argue about.

OreoCookie
May 25, 2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Cheap… when it comes to what?, there is more difference between the construction quality (Apple > everyone else) than panel display quality (Eizo's graphic monitors > Apple).
The built quality of Eizos is not worse than that of Apple (unless you want to talk about design, then you're right). And very often, Eizo uses the same panels as other manufacturers, but (1) they have tighter tolerances and (2) make better electronics to allow for better compensation of problems (construction of backlight, etc.).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2009, 09:12 AM

Yes, I was talking about its design. When I was looking for a new display to attach to a G4 MDD it was between an Eizo 24" and the ACD 23", the Eizo being made of plastic was well, rather disgusting. I understand Eizos are topnotch when it comes to critical work, albeit there is a big gap between most graphic designers and those who really need an ugra certified display suited for ISOcoated/uncoated or ISOnewspaper environments.

What I mean is that Apple displays are not the overpriced piece of cr*p most people like to say cause they perceive it as expensive due to the lack of twelve different video inputs or the frigging 'three hundred and fifty six-in-one' card reader (you gotta need a different one for each day of the year). Quality wise the displays are as minimum as good as any other display below the Eizo/Barco super expensive range, and aesthetically nothing comes close.

All in all, we agree.

LEStudios
Banned
Jun 5, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
How does the cinema display stack up against other displays?
Does anyone know the type of display panel being used and is it 8bit, i.e., does it truly show millions of colors or is it dithered.

I'm not sure but my current display is starting to act a little up a bit. The cinema display is pretty pricey at 899. I have an old dell 2405 that has been working great, but lately its not waking up from sleep and when it does takes longer and longer. The brightness is also seemingly decreasing as well.

From what I've heard, dell now uses cheaper display panels that I should avoid.

Any advice on what's a good display for my MBP would be welcome.
I say, save up for 24" Apple Cinema Display!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3359/...43f5017b_o.jpg

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 05:45 AM

I looked at the cinema displays.

They are not for me.

On my wish list is the Eizo Coloredge.

I have a matte 24" iMac, but whenever I get a MacPro, a Coloredge will come, too.

You got a lot of tips here. Now it's your job to find out what you want to do, and how good a display you want or you need. If you save too much, it might spoil your mood a lot when looking angrily at that display that saved you a few hundred.

Forum Links
Forum Rules