Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Was (or is) anybody on OnLive?

Was (or is) anybody on OnLive?
ibook_steve
Aug 18, 2012, 09:37 PM

I tried the demo out when it first started a few years ago and it seemed OK. It sounds like their subscriber base was anemic. I'm not sure why it didn't catch on. It seems like a good idea. Constant Internet connection perhaps?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 18, 2012, 10:03 PM

Lag. My home internet connection is 28 down / 3 up and there was a very very real difference between playing an Onlive game and playing a game locally. I played through Mafia 2 and the driving parts were very difficult because I'd have to start turning in anticipation of the corner arriving in a second or two if I was going to make the corner. Same with shooters - move the stick, wait, character moves. They gave everyone a free $50 credit a long while back to put towards any game and I haven't even bothered using it. I'd rather get a used copy from Amazon for PS3.

Most games will let you play for a half hour for free, so try it out and see if it works for you. At the time, all I had was an old Mini and a crappy work laptop, so it was my best option for games. Since then, I've gotten a new work laptop, built a new worthwhile desktop, and picked up a PS3 so my gaming needs are covered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2012, 07:03 AM

I played a few games on it, quality was nice, lag was minimal, but I ran into a couple bugs that irked me. First off, I get about 10 hours into Bioshock and quit for the day...when I come back my savegame was deleted. Seems they had that sort of problem with a whole host of games.

I just heard, actually, that they laid off most of their staff.

Edit: linky

ibook_steve  (op)
Aug 19, 2012, 09:34 AM

That's why I posted this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules