Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 iMac - the rumor mill is getting in gear

G5 iMac - the rumor mill is getting in gear (Page 3)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by no1allowed:
The only thing worst would for them to put in an 9100 integrated - believe it or not that's even slower than the 9200. I'm not totally convinced the iMac is pure consumer since a lot of businesses purchase them. Although Apple seems to lump it as such with the eMac. So we probably won't be seeing Firewire 800 or video spanning. I would like to see a TV Tuner capability. If they used the 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drive from Hitachi/IBM they could use the power savings to insert a better video card with, say, 128MBytes of Video RAM. This would also help with cooling since there would be air circulation inside. Maybe they'll go SATA which would force them to have something of a high performance hard drive subsystem. I also don't like the USB 2.0 in any of the current crop of Macs. A USB 2.0 PCI card with an NEC chipset is faster. I've sent my test findings to Rob at Bare Feats on my G5 1.6 in which the PCI USB 2.0 is about 20% faster than the on-board USB 2.0.

How about software packaging? I'd like to see a Home Office edition with MS Office packaged. This would of course include VPC v7.0.
In general, the Radeon 9100 is faster than the Radeon 9200.

The 2.5" drives are very expensive, and they're much slower than 3.5" drives, even at the same rpm.

Yeah, it'd be nice if they could sell an option for a basic MS Office version but I'm not sure I see the point of including VPC 7.

I agree with some of your other points though.

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 02:53 PM

What I really hope Apple does is to deliver a one-two punch of a G5 with lower prices. They wouldn't have to upgrade the rest of the specs signifcantly if the cost was brought down by a significant amount, say to $999 or $1099 for a base model.

My theory is that there will be at least a 1.6 GHz G5 model with 80 GB of hard drive space (probably Serial ATA), and a 64 MB GeForce FX 5200 or Radeon 9600 Pro (depending on how much of a premium the 9600 chip commands over an FX 5200).

I'm getting to the point where I'm very hesitant to make a guess as to the display size, or even the form factor. Apple's options are open: they could, if they really wanted, go with a super-mini tower. Knowing Steve Jobs, they could persist with the AIO design. I've even heard someone on the MacRumors forums claim that Apple would have a design with a detachable display!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ZZZman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 11:14 PM

New G5 iMac eh? I found out couple of interesting things about what Apple is doing here in China. Those iMacs are in production already with 1.8 and 2.0GHz G5s. What is strange (or not) is that they looked still the same. I'm not sure where they are heading but Chinese university market is pretty big, Shanghai alone is producing around 40000 grads per year. Last time when I was trying to buy an iBook some college had bought all the stock (about 600) leaving me waiting for couple of weeks.

Another thing is that all the Apple models are also manufactured in China ! I know most computer companies are doing it but this seems to be a trade secret. Again the high import taxes and tricky import/export procedures are probably to blame. A lot of things are made in China but not sold here. Foreign companies are just using the cheap labor and leaving Chinese consumers out of the loop.

So it looks to me that the pro PowerMacs will have 2.5GHz and up CPUs and new consumer level iMacs 1.8 to 2.3 or so.

BTW does anybody know why the www.apple.com website is blocked in China, only the www.apple.com.cn works. Does the Chinese site work from outside China? Is Apple creating two markets?? There must be a good reason.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2004, 11:56 PM

2.0GHz G5 iMacs would actually surprise me a little. I think it would show that Apple does feel that the iMac is important to them still, that it hasn't done as much for the company as it could. If they still believe that, they haven't been doing a good job of showing it in the past year or so.

Keeping the same form factor would actually not surprise me. The only reason, IMO, that Apple killed the El Capitan case and did a redesign for the G5 was because the El Capitan was very dated. Yes, it was nice, but it was also designed with 1999 G3 hardware in mind. The MDD may have had a different internal layout than the traditional El Capitans, but it still had one nagging flaw: Cooling. So, Apple felt that a redesign was in order. A case that was actually designed with G5 and even G6 hardware in mind.

The iMac is a different story. It was never really designed with any specific generation of hardware in mind. Just so long as good cooling isn't required. The 1.25GHz 74x5 G4 in the iMac currently is already a pretty hot processor. The current round of G5s and the next round of G5s (970FX) both run cooler as far as I know. So, given that, the main obstacle in putting a next-generation processor into the iMac without redesigning it is not an issue.
( Last edited by Lateralus; May 17, 2004 at 03:35 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 17, 2004, 03:51 AM

I have to say that I very seriously doubt that a G5 iMac will come out before the entire "pro" product line has been updated. Processor updates in Macs traditionally take this path: Power Mac -> PowerBook -> iMac/eMac -> iBook.

That said... Ryan: cut it out. You're being a pompous asshole. You have no seniority here, and your attitude is not conducive to making you gain respect here. In particular, your stubborn refusal to provide any kind of evidence for your "facts" is extraordinarily disconcerting. Without evidence, it is not fact, it is conjecture. There's nothing wrong with conjecture, but don't tell us it's fact when you can't back it up. Refusal to post evidence is pretty much a dead giveaway that you have no evidence at all.

Note also that we really don't approve of name calling and other rudeness around here. If we see a pattern of it, you may be subject to temporary or permanent banning, after due warning.

tooki

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by ZZZman:
New G5 iMac eh? I found out couple of interesting things about what Apple is doing here in China. Those iMacs are in production already with 1.8 and 2.0GHz G5s. What is strange (or not) is that they looked still the same.
Interesting, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think 2.0 is plausible, but higher than I was expecting. As for the form factor, I was guessing they would change it, but if it's the same case it's not hugely surprising either. The 970FX is a reasonably cool chip up to about 2.0 GHz or so, so it'd work fine in an iMac.
I'm not sure where they are heading but Chinese university market is pretty big, Shanghai alone is producing around 40000 grads per year. Last time when I was trying to buy an iBook some college had bought all the stock (about 600) leaving me waiting for couple of weeks.
So how big is the Mac market in China? ie. In schools, how common would they be?
Another thing is that all the Apple models are also manufactured in China ! I know most computer companies are doing it but this seems to be a trade secret. Again the high import taxes and tricky import/export procedures are probably to blame. A lot of things are made in China but not sold here. Foreign companies are just using the cheap labor and leaving Chinese consumers out of the loop.
What do you consider to be "China"? Does that include Taiwan? If you just mean mainland China, that's not correct, since many Macs come from Taiwan. Anyways, Apple does not hide the fact that their computers are made outside the US. In fact, when we get our computers shipped to us from Apple, they are often shipped straight from Asia, including from Taipei or Shanghai.
So it looks to me that the pro PowerMacs will have 2.5GHz and up CPUs and new consumer level iMacs 1.8 to 2.3 or so.
You said 2.0, so why are you saying 2.3 now? I'd be very surprised if the iMacs went that high.
BTW does anybody know why the www.apple.com website is blocked in China, only the www.apple.com.cn works. Does the Chinese site work from outside China? Is Apple creating two markets?? There must be a good reason.
Interesting. Both sites work outside of China. I'm not sure why they would block www.apple.com but maybe those "Think Different" ads give headaches to the Chinese censorship people.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 17, 2004 at 09:15 AM. )

Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Processor updates in Macs traditionally take this path: Power Mac -> PowerBook -> iMac/eMac -> iBook.
True, but considering the poor sales of iMacs, do you really think Apple would sit on a G5 update until they could also get it into a Powerbook? With a low and falling market share, they can't afford those kinds of market segmentation games.

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 10:37 PM

Apple doesn't always have to update the PowerBooks before the iMacs. Remember September? While there was only a week before the PowerBooks, the iMacs got their update to 1.25 GHz alongside the iPod capacity upgrade.

Besides - the G5 looks like the sort of chip that would be ready for more desktops before it'd be ready for the laptops.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
I have to say that I very seriously doubt that a G5 iMac will come out before the entire "pro" product line has been updated. Processor updates in Macs traditionally take this path: Power Mac -> PowerBook -> iMac/eMac -> iBook.
In general, I agree.

But here is what makes me wonder:
Suppose, Apple had a heat problem with putting the G5 in Powerbooks.
Suppose, that problem requires some serious engineering, which can not be done overnight. Let's say it will take them till 2005.

Do you think they will hold back on new G5 iMac's, just because PowerBooks with G5 are not feasable yet ?

After all, it's not like iMac will be canabalizing PowerBook sales !

Well, we'll see...

-t

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 10:42 AM

The iMac is due for an update. The PowerBook isn't. It's a heluvalot easier to stick a G5 in an iMac than a PowerBook. And WWDC is coming.

I fully expect a 20th anniversary iMac G5 at WWDC.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 12:08 PM

I'm beginning to believe an iMac G5 will be introduced at WWDC, and my only reason for that hunch is that the iMacs haven't been upgraded already. In successive weeks the eMacs and iBooks+PowerBooks were upgraded. If the iMacs were to be bumped to a 1.33/1.5 GHz G4, it would've been a trivial matter (in my layman's opinion) to do so shortly thereafter. The fact that they haven't suggests that a more aggressive upgrade is in store.

I think that gigabit ethernet will be standard, only for the rumors that Apple will be bringing clusterable rendering for the pro apps. While I doubt that any major house would by iMac G5s for a render farm, it would be advantageous for small firms to have the ability of using the receptionist's iMac during off-hours.

(100BT would work, too, obviously but gigabit switches are dropping in price)

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 03:41 PM

If Apple makes the g5 imac the same style but aluminum, I'll head all the way down to Apple HQ to beat the designers into realizing how stupid it was. LOL
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Link:
If Apple makes the g5 imac the same style but aluminum, I'll head all the way down to Apple HQ to beat the designers into realizing how stupid it was. LOL

...No, not LOL.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
...No, not LOL.
Yes, LOL. LOL LOL LOL LOL

I love you
Aloha

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 05:22 PM

I personally would love an aluminum iMac. However, I suspect it will be plastic.

Jens Peter
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 03:23 PM

I hope a new iMac would be out to WWDC, because then it would probably be avaliable in Europe late summer, when I have been working all summer and saved a bit.

I would hope they would use a G5 chip, and not just a 1,5 Ghz G4 chip or something.
I like the current design, but in aluminum I think it would look.. special.

My old iMac (G3/600) needs a update soon, so let's see...

no1allowed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 12:29 PM

The new iMac is so late it's probably likely that it will get a new architecture. I still believe they'll offer a model based on the older G4 architecture, like they usually do for the price concious among us. As they have in the past, the iMac has ALWAYS ended up using the same old CPU as the PowerBooks and ALWAYS within a couple of months of the new PowerBooks' introduction. However, it appears this time it is a whole lot longer, > a year since the PowerBook was bumped up to 1.25 GHz. This makes me think they'll start making the eMac follow the PowerBook lead and strike out in a different direction with the iMac. I'm almost beginning to think this new iMac might contain the new HyperTransport 2 spec, it's taking so long. That is if they introduce it with a G5. The G5 also gives them some extra elbow room in introducing speed differentiations. Like a 1.8 GHz 17" and a 2.0 GHz 20". This let's them also keep a 1.5GHz G4 15" with the older architecture. But since the new architecture requires matching DIMM upgrades, is it possible to put 4 DIMM slots in an iMac? Now that I think about it, they might just offer upgrades like the PowerBooks for the two low end models, 1.33GHz G4 15" and a 1.5GHz G4 17". And save the G5 for the 20" probably at 1.8 GHz, since 1.6 GHz is too close to the 1.5GHz G4.
G5 1.6GHz, 1.256 GBytes RAM, Belkin 5-
port USB 2.0 PCI card, Sony Clie T655C,
80 GByte Firewire drive (kit), LaCie
Firewire/USB2.0 48x24x48x CDRW,
1993 Toyota T100

no1allowed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 08:21 AM

Apparently a French site with a broad history of nailing predictions on the nose says:

Mono PPC 975 @ 2.2 GHz, AGP 8x, FSB 1.1 GHz Superdrive

Dual PPC 975 @ 2.6 GHz, PCI Express train 16x, FBS 1.3 GHz Superdrive Extreme (double layer)

Dual PPC 975 @ 3.0 GHz, PCI Express train 16x, FBS 1.3 GHz Superdrive Extreme (double layer)

According to Croquer dans la Pomme, the above will be announce at WWDC and out by Apple Expo (Paris?).
1993 Toyota T100

no1allowed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 08:27 AM

I'd say based on this prediction, an August announcement of a G5 based iMac will be following.
1993 Toyota T100

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by no1allowed:
Apparently a French site with a broad history of nailing predictions on the nose
Do you have a link that shows how well the site has predicted products? I have seen this site quoted a lot, but nowhere have I found anything supporting their reputation...

no1allowed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 08:43 AM

Nope. They nailed the latest PowerBooks specs dead on. That's probably not saying much though. You'd have to have a history of what they actually have said as time went on. Small sites like this, especially in another language, have a habit of being ignored. I have problems with this announcement, although I've heard the 975 is actually a 970 with a bigger cache and reworke core to allow higher operating voltages. It dissipate 65W at 3.0 GHz.
1993 Toyota T100

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2004, 10:21 AM

Croquer dans la Pomme is known as MOSR for the French.

EDIT: Somebody has pointed out that these specs were posted in a Japanese blog just as a guess, the day before Croquer dans la Pomme did. It seems somebody must have emailed it to Croquer, who in turn posted the specs as gospel.

来月発表だっつーし、
次のG5モデルの予想でもするか。

Single2.2GHzモデル: AGP 8xGPU/Bus1.1GHz/Superdrive
Dual2.6GHzモデル: PCI-express 16xGPU/Bus1.3GHz/Superdrive Extreme(DVD+R DL)
Dual3.0GHzモデル: PCI-express 16xGPU/Bus1.5GHz/Superdrive Extreme(DVD+R DL)
各モデルともドライブベイ2段、HDは4個まで増設可能とか。

ま、こんな感じ?
ホンとに出すんか>禿
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 24, 2004 at 12:26 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2004, 08:33 PM

Special Pricing on Power Mac G5 1.6GHz

ADC is pleased to offer ADC Select and Premier members in the U.S., special pricing on the Power Mac G5 1.6GHz. Through June 26, ADC Select and Premier members can purchase up to five (5) Power Mac G5 1.6GHz systems through the ADC Hardware Purchase Program, without affecting annual hardware discount purchase limits.

Interesting date...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2004, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Interesting date...
Duh, everybody would expect stuff to come on June 26. The real question is: what?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Duh, everybody would expect stuff to come on June 26. The real question is: what?
At least a Power Mac update of course.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2004, 10:25 AM

At least a Power Mac update of course.
Riiiight.

no1allowed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 07:08 AM

Croquer dans la Pomme is known as MOSR for the French.

EDIT: Somebody has pointed out that these specs were posted in a Japanese blog just as a guess, the day before Croquer dans la Pomme did. It seems somebody must have emailed it to Croquer, who in turn posted the specs as gospel.

来月発表だっつーし、
次のG5モデルの予想でもするか。

Single2.2GHzモデル: AGP 8xGPU/Bus1.1GHz/Superdrive
Dual2.6GHzモデル: PCI-express 16xGPU/Bus1.3GHz/Superdrive Extreme(DVD+R DL)
Dual3.0GHzモデル: PCI-express 16xGPU/Bus1.5GHz/Superdrive Extreme(DVD+R DL)
各モデルともドライブベイ2段、HDは4個まで増設可能とか。

ま、こんな感じ?
ホンとに出すんか>禿
Hmmm. I can't even remember when and where I read that a 5th anniversary iMac would be released at $4999 this summer. I also read that it might have dual G5s and a huge screen. Ahhhh it's definitely spring as the rumours are flying fast and furious for summer releases. I do know I'll be in line to see Predator vs. Aliens movie this August.
1993 Toyota T100

mr2boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
Call me what you want, I really don't care.

I'm the only one being realistic in this thread... everyone else is just dreaming.

-Ryan
Try pessimistic. You see the glass as half empty when you should be seeing the glass as half full.

And honestly, don't you think that the iMac would be redesigned with a new processor upgrade?
---
iMac G4 20" 768mb ram, 80gb hdd
Powerbook G3 "Pismo" 512MB ram, 30gb hdd

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
How about a 7,3 and a 8,1?

OS X.3.4 includes support for new machines, and they are called "PowerMac7,3" and "PowerMac8,1". Bets are that the 7,3 is the new G5 Power Mac update, and the 8,1 is the new G5 iMac.

In case you're wondering, for the OS, iMacs are called "PowerMac" actually, and historically iMacs have gotten even numbers. See below:
Code:
PowerMac1,1 Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) PowerMac1,2 Power Macintosh G4 (PCI-Graphics) PowerMac2,1 iMac (Slot-Loading CD-ROM) PowerMac2,2 iMac (Summer 2000) PowerMac3,1 Power Macintosh G4 (AGP-Graphics) PowerMac3,2 Power Macintosh G4 (AGP-Graphics) PowerMac3,3 Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) PowerMac3,4 Power Macintosh G4 (Digital Audio) PowerMac3,5 Power Macintosh G4 (Quick Silver) Power Macintosh G4 (Quick Silver 2002) PowerMac3,6 Power Macintosh G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) Power Macintosh G4 (FW 800) Power Macintosh G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors 2003) PowerMac4,1 iMac (Early 2001) iMac (Summer 2001) PowerMac4,2 iMac (Flat-Panel) PowerMac4,4 eMac eMac (ATI Graphics) eMac (1 GHz G4) PowerMac4,5 iMac (17-inch Flat-Panel) iMac (17-inch 1 GHz) PowerMac5,1 Power Macintosh G4 Cube Power Macintosh G4 Cube (Early 2001) PowerMac6,1 iMac (USB 2.0) PowerMac6,3 iMac (20-inch Flat-Panel) PowerMac6,4 eMac (USB 2.0) PowerMac7,2 Power Macintosh G5

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 02:55 AM

Awesome. Hope it comes to light. The iMac really needs a G5.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 03:21 AM

Very interesting and good news.
( Last edited by Simon; May 31, 2004 at 03:35 AM. )

beb
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 12:53 PM

I don't think that an iMac at either 1.8 or 2Ghz is too far off the mark when the entire PowerMac line is set to be refreshed at WWDC anyway.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 07:55 AM

How about a 7,3 and a 8,1?

OS X.3.4 includes support for new machines, and they are called "PowerMac7,3" and "PowerMac8,1". Bets are that the 7,3 is the new G5 Power Mac update, and the 8,1 is the new G5 iMac.

Gosh, maybe there will be a G5 iMac...
I still have a hard time believing it.

I think, there more probable explanation would be some sort of anniversary iMac, but not G5 based...

The Appleinsider thread is quite interesting.

-t

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 04:03 PM

*quietly sneaks his imac 8,1..e errr powermac 8,1 into his closet*

I cannot confirm nor deny that the powermac 8,1 is a G5 consumer machine which I cannot confirm nor deny is in the imac's class, which I cannot confirm nor deny will be released at speeds between 1.5 and 2.2ghz.
Aloha

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 04:05 PM

I cannot confirm nor deny...
Of course you can't. Why should you be able to?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:32 AM

*quietly sneaks his imac 8,1..e errr powermac 8,1 into his closet*

I cannot confirm nor deny that the powermac 8,1 is a G5 consumer machine which I cannot confirm nor deny is in the imac's class, which I cannot confirm nor deny will be released at speeds between 1.5 and 2.2ghz.
I can't confirm or deny that Link is pulling our collective legs...

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 09:11 AM

no denying we need an iMac update. to be honest, i had heard of iMacs (before my conversion) but I had NEVER heard of Power Macs. I had heard a little of iBooks. BUT I KNEW THE iMAC! and apple needs a new imac that people will know. the original iMacs had all the buzz, but apple went wrong by trying to replace their education (yet consumer) postition with eMacs. i hadnt heard of eMacs either. a cool one like the CRT monitors, (i dont like that really retro stuff but if it gets the kiddies) yet with a futuristic design.perhaps a cube shaped iMac? or one that is not a notebook but that can be folded/compacted for easy transport.

anoetic
Jun 5, 2004, 07:25 PM

If we look at the information posted on Appleinsider about the new PowerMac user's guide showing that the new PowerMacs will have a single heatsink; indicating an all dual powermac lineup. It is easy to assume that the iMacs will now have single processors and probably G5s. This would create a very clear line between the workstation PowerMacs and the personal computer iMacs. It makes sense production, business and marketing wise.

If I were to make a prediction I'd say the iMacs will be updated to 1.8 & 2.0 GHz G5s.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 08:17 PM

If the powermacs will have dual processors, firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, a MUCH higher ram capacity, dual dvi outputs, and much better video cards, it would be rediculous to space the imac out by a whooping 1ghz.

Powermacs will probably start at 2.2-2.4ghz and work their way up to 3ghz *IF* the top end is 3ghz, especially if it's a dual top end. Even if the high end imac is the same speed as the low end powermac, you're missing oh-so-much.

Personally I wouldn't mind an 'ultimate' imac that was 2.5ghz, while the entry level powermac would be 2.4ghz. It'd make for some extra sales on that upper end.

Then again, that's highly unlikely. If the powermacs start at 2.2-2.4ghz though, don't expect the imacs to be too much slower (it wouldn't look good for their sales, for one).

So what if imacs are faster than powerbooks. They're portables, and it'd be even more so annoying if they decide to level a desktop machine to a portable.
Aloha

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 10:28 PM

If the powermacs will have dual processors, firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, a MUCH higher ram capacity, dual dvi outputs, and much better video cards, it would be rediculous to space the imac out by a whooping 1ghz.

Powermacs will probably start at 2.2-2.4ghz and work their way up to 3ghz *IF* the top end is 3ghz, especially if it's a dual top end. Even if the high end imac is the same speed as the low end powermac, you're missing oh-so-much.

Personally I wouldn't mind an 'ultimate' imac that was 2.5ghz, while the entry level powermac would be 2.4ghz. It'd make for some extra sales on that upper end.
If you're even half-expecting a dual 3 GHz Power Mac then prepare to be disappointed.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 11:09 PM

If you're even half-expecting a dual 3 GHz Power Mac then prepare to be disappointed.
Hope for the best, expect the worst. It'll probably be a Dual 2.2 and dual 2.4 (along with single 2.0)...

Maybe a $100 price drop or something too.
Aloha

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 05:09 AM

If the PowerMac gets a Yikes-style entry level machine with just a single G5 running at roughly 2GHz the iMac could get castrated (again). But they could also beef it up to have similar specs as the low-end PowerMac and differentiate the two by expandability. The way I know Phil Schiller, they're capable of both. Of course I'm hoping for aggressive marketing of the iMac (fast G5, lower price) because it's not been doing to well lately and because it's a key product for Apple.

If the PowerMacs go dual throughout the whole line the G5 iMac will certainly have good chances at getting +2.0GHz.

Even more so if Steve actually delivers the promised 3GHz (which I highly doubt). However, if he doesn't deliver on that promise the Mac geeks will tear him apart. But, to be fair, he still has more time to announce those until the end of September. Now, how likely is a new line-up of PowerMacs at WWDC and then a refresh in October? Doesn't sound too good.

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 02:09 PM

I think the time is ripe for an iMac mini.

An entry level iMac mini to replace the eMac.
In various flavours/colours ala iPod mini.
15", G4, etc...

...with special emphasis on a design & colours that consumers will instantly identify with the iPod mini.
(Perhaps even a built in dock for iPod mini?)

Use design/colour and packaging as a marketing ploy.

Then there will be space for an iMac G5.
17" and larger screens, G5, etc.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by rmendis:
I think the time is ripe for an iMac mini.

15", G4, etc...
Interesting idea.

Could be a hit, if the price is right.
Technically, it should be possible to make such an iMac (G4) for a price not much higher than the entry-level iBook.

Have entry-level G4 iMac's with colors, and
mid-level G5 iMac's with bigger screens.

-t

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by rmendis:
15", G4, etc...

Then there will be space for an iMac G5.
17" and larger screens, G5, etc.
What you are basically suggesting is dropping the CRT eMac for a TFT eMac and calling it iMac mini.

Even if 15" TFTs would cost Apple no more than the eMac's 17" CRT (which they don't) Apple would still have reason to use the CRT. The iMac's TFT is not robust enough for education use. Since schools have these machines for young kids they don't want screens that will break if you poke your finger at its surface, etc.

I agree however, that the 15" iMac should be removed form the iMac line. The iMac (even if marketed aggressively) is too expensive for a 1024x768 resolution. The iMac is a prosumer machine, not a budget machine and thus there is no advantage in having a 15".

The headless 'eMac mini' which is basically something like the old Mac LC with the board of the current eMac would probably be a good idea for all those people who want to continue to use their peripherals, but try out a Mac. It would cost Apple almost no R&D and it could be sold very cheap. Web, Mail and Office would need no more. So, it would also cater to the corporate market -> Xserve as a server, eMac mini as client machines or network nodes.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 07:40 AM

what an awesome idea. i agree though: TFT is not good for an eMac replacement. At our secondary school people have nearly damaged the TFTs on iMacs. Perhaps this iMac mini could be the new face of portables: lightweight, compact, yet it unfolds to be a desktop type machine.

anoetic
Jun 9, 2004, 10:02 AM

So now the PowerMac line is all dual.

So Ryan, what do you think that means for the iMacs.

a. Apple is no longer going to offer a single cpu G5 and the iMac is staying with a G4

b. The iMacs will now be single processor machines with a G5 while the PowerMacs will be dual CPU workstations providing a clear distinction between the two lines.

I's love to hear your evidence that it will be a. I think the better odds are with choice b.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by anoetic:
[BThe iMacs will now be single processor machines with a G5 while the PowerMacs will be dual CPU workstations providing a clear distinction between the two lines.[/B]
Yeah, I think this will now be well possible.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2004, 10:29 AM

So now the PowerMac line is all dual.

So Ryan, what do you think that means for the iMacs.

b. The iMacs will now be single processor machines with a G5 while the PowerMacs will be dual CPU workstations providing a clear distinction between the two lines.
There's NO doubt.

Once iMac's go G5, they for sure won't be dual processor.
Still the question remains: next iMac update, a G4 or G5 ?

Yes, eventually, it'l be G5. But the next revision, due sometime soon, what's it going to be ?

-t

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
There's NO doubt.

Once iMac's go G5, they for sure won't be dual processor.
Still the question remains: next iMac update, a G4 or G5 ?

Yes, eventually, it'l be G5. But the next revision, due sometime soon, what's it going to be ?
There's NO doubt.

It's gonna be a G5, and specifically it's gonna be called the PowerMac8,1.

And yes I expect it to be a 970FX too, but I agree - single processor.

So Ryan...
Be careful, or he'll accuse you of stalking him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules