Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new iMac Amiga-like?

new iMac Amiga-like?
candyman
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 04:29 AM

...and if the new iMac will have an c=64 or Amiga-like case?
A keyboard with, under, the slot loading CD, HD etc...?
With, in stock a 15" LCD drive upgradeable to 17" and Cinema Display? In gray or Bondi Blue...

What do you think?

Hi all,

candyman

<Inkfinger>
Jul 3, 2001, 01:46 PM

I doubt Apple would do it, but it would be a solution to the extra cost of an LCD monitor. Those who can't afford it can get a cheaper CRT one.

Would be an extra incentive to those thinking of migrating from the Wintel side too, since they could use their old PC monitor.

Cheers!

Inkfinger.

teach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 11:06 PM

only a Mac person would still know what an Amiga looks like or even what it is nice to know there are a few of us out there still - my first computer was a c64

criedel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by teach:
<STRONG>only a Mac person would still know what an Amiga looks like or even what it is nice to know there are a few of us out there still - my first computer was a c64 </STRONG>
yeah, c64 was my 1st comp as well, sigh... I was the only one I knew with the tape drive
Rennt um Euer Leben!

<inkfinger>
Jul 8, 2001, 08:59 AM

Never had a C64, but I did have some other tape driven machines.

(For those who are too young to remember, that's tape drive as in Audio cassette, not the tape drives used for making backups these days!)

I later upgraded to an Atari ST and was totally amazed at what a step forward it's floppy drive was!

My how things have changed!

Cheers!

Inkfinger

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by candyman:
<STRONG>...and if the new iMac will have an c=64 or Amiga-like case?
A keyboard with, under, the slot loading CD, HD etc...?
With, in stock a 15" LCD drive upgradeable to 17" and Cinema Display? In gray or Bondi Blue...
</STRONG>
I still have my old Amiga 500, it was the best I ever had, yes even better than my Macs ;-)

You could use it on a monitor or even on TV. It was true plug'n'play, no drivers for printers, joysticks or mouse...Sound and graphics were incredible and there was a lot of games :-))

But I don't think we will see a amiga like iMac...Why ? Because iMac is simplicity and ALL IN ONE. With the Amiga you need wires for speakers and so...

By the way, I would love to have an amiga like Macintosh because it was a small computer, silent and very easy to carry too.

Having the computer under the keyboard was a very good thing except for people who drink cafe on their computer ;-)

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2001, 12:42 PM

Ah yes! The incredible Amiga. I got 8 years out of my A1200, and it still runs like a champ. I just have an equally incredible iMac to neglect it with. hehe

I've also made it a point to collect them for nostalgia and to keep using Lightwave and all the other software titles I still have. A1000, A2000 with x86 bridge board and 5 1/4" floppy hehe. Love those machines! The 1986 A1000 sill works beautifully!

Now THAT'S reliabitlity heh. I don't recall ever crashing an Amiga unless it was an OCS or ECS piece of software on my AGA machine. And the Unix like shell? Delightful.

*sniff sniff* Thanks for inspiring the flash back of good ol' days...

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

maclove
Jul 8, 2001, 12:45 PM

Amiga those days haaaaaaa... I would buy on...

<inkfinger>
Jul 8, 2001, 02:33 PM

But I don't think we will see a amiga like iMac...Why ? Because iMac is simplicity and ALL IN ONE. With the Amiga you need wires for speakers and so...
Well if guts of the machine were all part of the Keyboard instead of the Monitor, then why not intergrate the speakers into keyboard as well? That way you have about the same amount of wires as there are now.
Add a TV-out option and put a decent graphics chip in it and people who mainly want it for games & maybe a bit of net surfing could manage without a monitor all together.

You know the more I think about this, the more I like the idea, but you're probably right, Apple won't do it.

Cheers!

Inkfinger

Starfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 12:23 AM

heres one for the old timers out there

"GURU MEDITATION"

ah those where the days my friends.

I still collect old comps from the 80's and have over 50 in the basement now!!!

Sinclair, Oric, Dragon, Amstrad, Apple, CBM, Coleco, Atari, Amiga, Tandy, etc
Regards

Starfrog
G4 Quicksilver 867 Mhz 1.5 Gig Ram 80GB HD Geforce3 17'Apple LCD Soundsticks + iSub External Lacie 16x10x40 CDRW Epson C80 Printer Canon Scanner 650U and Powermac 5400 all-in-on :) LC 575 all-in-one and a Bag of Jellybeans

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 06:46 AM

hmm, could be neat but probably wont happen. why not just take the screen off the ibook and sell that? wait, why not just sell the ibook...

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2001, 05:06 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules