Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Digital Audio G4 and itunes speeds

Digital Audio G4 and itunes speeds
little a
Jan 30, 2006, 11:26 AM

looking into macs for the first time and i'm trying to get a sense of what they can do. i'm particularly interested in a DA G4, 533 mhz, 512 MB

the main purpose of this machine will be to house my music collection (1000+ cds) as MP3s. what sorts of ripping speeds can i expect with the standard optical drive? with an updated optical drive?

this is a second system and budget is a concern so i'm trying to stick to around $500. i'll have some upgrading room for RAM and/or a faster optical drive but not much. thanks

a

bossep
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 12:30 PM

I bought one last April and I am very happy with it. I should perhaps add that I more or less has replaced everything possible. New cpu, new graphics card, new hard drive.

little a  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 12:59 PM

can you give me an idea of the specs of the stuff you added? cost? also, any idea on the itunes/ripping speed?

a

bossep
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by little a
can you give me an idea of the specs of the stuff you added? cost? also, any idea on the itunes/ripping speed?

a
Sonnet Encore 1.2GHz, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Sonnet Serial ATA PCI-card, 1GB SDRAM, Seagate 180GB Serial ATA. Hard to calculate costs as I sold the old cpu and graphics card. Itunes/ripping speed? Don't know I am afraid.

little a  (op)
Jan 31, 2006, 08:25 AM

anybody else? i'm still not sure of the speed of these machines. i read through the photoshop benchmark thread and found a couple of cases of dual 533's but that is still comparing apples and apples, i need a cross reference to the PC world.

a

new newton
Banned
Jan 31, 2006, 02:28 PM

You'll get somewhere around 8-9x with that system. I'd be less concerned with the ripping speed and more concerned with methodology. You'll want to set iTunes to import and eject. Anytime you see the tray open, pop in another. There's no way to make the process less painful.

RAM and a faster processor are cheap upgrades. About $100 each for fairly reasonable boosts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules