Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Difficult choice?

Difficult choice?
Jean-Luc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 05:06 PM

Hi!

I'm a freelance graphic designer who do a lot of Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator. I'm also planning to work with FCP and After Effect. I have to buy a new computer. Now here's my dilemma: I have to choose between mobility and power. The Ti PB looks like a great machine but how does it compare with G4 Dual 533? (i.e. faster system bus, dual CPU, etc.) Seems like the choice is obvious but I do seek for your opinion.

Also what do you think of La Cie electron blue 19" monitor ($850 CAN) vs. Apple 17" Studio Display ($750 CAN)? I need a very color accurate CRT do perform retouching in Photoshop.

Many thanks in advance.

Jean-Luc
iMac DV SE
256MB/13GB

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2001, 05:27 PM

Well, I would go with the tower. Photoshop has built in support for dual processors AND AltiVec. So if you get the DP533 (which I have) I guarantee it'll blow your socks off.

As for monitors, I would suggest Apple's 17". Sure, it's 2" smaller but you can still push 1600x1200 on that puppy AND it's crisp clear. Not to mention that Apple's CRT has HARDWARE support for ColorSync. A must for graphic designers. Not to mention it's great looking toboot.

If you're looking for a graphics card eventually, I would skip on the ATI and the nVidia and go straight for the ProFormance 4 card (if it ever ships. Sheesh.) I had a ProFormance 3 card and it was just completely AWSOME when it came to Photoshop. Back on my 233MHz G3, I could scroll 80MB Photoshop files like I was on some GHz computer. Completely amazing, unparalleled in 2D and Vector graphics. Speaking of Vector, not only does the ProFormance 4 come with 2 128-bit processors, it comes with a THIRD Geometry processor to handle highend 2D and Vector graphics like no other card. If the ProFormance 3 card was that good on my 233 G3, then I can't imagine a ProFormance 4 on a DP 533. Good lord!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

slimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 05:46 PM

I have a LaCie electon 22 blue and it has been the best monitor I've had so far. The colour is consistent and accurate. The warrenty is 3 years with next day replacement. I have had problems with several Apple monitors in the past and have vowed never to buy another one. I would spend the extra $100 and get the LaCie.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 05:56 PM

I`ve always heard only the best about the Lacie/Mitsubishi monitors, although i never had the joy of trying one. If mobility can be sacrificed i would go with a desktop mac. Packs more power and that is something AE needs.

Tom

sangwoo
Mar 11, 2001, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Jean-Luc:
Hi!

I'm a freelance graphic designer who do a lot of Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator. I'm also planning to work with FCP and After Effect. I have to buy a new computer. Now here's my dilemma: I have to choose between mobility and power. The Ti PB looks like a great machine but how does it compare with G4 Dual 533? (i.e. faster system bus, dual CPU, etc.) Seems like the choice is obvious but I do seek for your opinion.

Also what do you think of La Cie electron blue 19" monitor ($850 CAN) vs. Apple 17" Studio Display ($750 CAN)? I need a very color accurate CRT do perform retouching in Photoshop.

Many thanks in advance.

Jean-Luc
iMac DV SE
256MB/13GB

Hi Friend..

I am Korean. I can speek English ...little...

I think you have to buy Power Mac G4 ..Because You are pro freelance

graphic designer .. I think you need more power computer..

and Monitor.....That is 19" because 17" monitor is too small ..I think you

need more big screen about 1152x864..

Do you Korean monitor Samsung ,,in Korea many mac graphic designer use

Samsung monitor,,,

Are you a Canadian ? Where do you live ? Last year 2000 I lived in Toronto

and Lindsay. I went to many computer shop in Toronto. such as Future shop,

Compusmart,In Toronto down town King street some Mac computer shop ,,they

have Samsung,Sony,Apple,Kds,Compac monitor....

Now I have a internet cafe. we have 45 PC and 1 very qute my imac,,

I will buy Cube....anyway..

Byebye Jean-Luc

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2001, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Jean-Luc:

I would get the LaCie monitor in a heartbeat. They look great and they are one of the few monitors specifically designed from graphic design. If you are really concerned about the color accuracy you can also purchase the blue eye hardware calibrator. Granted, it costs almost as much as the monitor itself, but it allows you to adjust each electron gun in the monitor individually and created a ColorSync profile for your individual monitor. These monitors are the ONLY monitors the art department at the college I attended would purchase.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2001, 01:19 AM

The tower has obviously more power. If you travel a lot or do on site
work then go for the Ti. Ideally, you should buy both machines for
maximum power and mobility. Difficult decision, ay ?

GK

Leonis
Senior User
Mar 11, 2001, 01:33 AM

LaCie all the way!

Keep in mind that the Apple monitor is using the proprietary ADC connector.......that can cause headache when you want to use this monitor with other machines.

------------------
My comic web site

I don't use spell checker.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Ham Sandwich
Mar 11, 2001, 09:03 AM

Another vote for the Lacie, if for nothing more than the warranty - it is so much better than Apple's!

-s'fit

digires
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 02:08 PM

I bought a sony GDM-F500 a while ago. Looking back, I wish I had gone with the LaCie. The sony is good, but for GD, I think the LaCie will be a better choice.

For a computer, I would always recommend you have a solid workstation at home first. If you find yourself traveling a lot, then get a PB down the road (hopefully the extra travel means that extra $$ are coming in as well;-)

John

Bigc
Mar 11, 2001, 04:08 PM

apple monitor bad

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2001, 04:45 PM

Well, your dilema is a tough one........but I would start with the desktop mac first, get real good at what you do, and then take it on the road. As for sheer, raw power, the DP machines would definitely be the way to go, especially with the newer mobo, bus speeds and overall faster system architechure, considering your chosen line of work.

As for the monitors, get the largest one you can afford, you will NOT be sorry down the road, but be sure to get either the Radeon or a Proformance 4 to drive it, as the other poster said. Just imagine, with a 21" screen, you can view 2 complete 11X 17 images/documents side by side at 1600 X 1200 and still see your HD's and other desktop items......what a sweet picture..........

I have had a 17" Apple Studio Display for almost 2 years now, and it is STILL as sharp, clear and crisp as it was the day I got it. But for my PS work, I eventually found that a 21" is essential if you work with very large images.

I wish apple had not discontinued their 21" model, just as I was getting ready to buy one. I bought a Mitsubishi that uses the same tube inside though, and it is fabulous, it just doesnt look as good sitting beside my B&W G3 as my ASD does

And using a Proformance 3 makes everything that much faster in ALL applications. I can only imagine how fast the Pro 4 would be with a DP 533...um um um

[This message has been edited by muttfree (edited 03-11-2001).]
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Tristrami
Senior User
Mar 11, 2001, 09:35 PM

Easy choice....DP 5333 and La Cie.

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 11:21 PM

if you dont absolutly need the portability go with the DP. i like powerbooks becaue i need to travel between dorm and home and i cant lug a tower and a 60lb monitor back and forth. right now i am facing a similar decision as you, either a

DP 533/60gb/1gb ram/studio 17, electron blue 19, eletron blue 22, or cinema display 22
or
PB 400/30gb/512 ram

right now im most seriously considering the 17" studio display or the 19" lacie because they seem to offer the most bang for the buck, just like the 400 pb and the 533 dp, but that cinema display keeps on tempting me every time i go to the apple site with its wonderful screen and all its sexyness. its not that i couldnt afford the $3g its just that thats sort of rediculous and i could be spending that on a car. the 22" lacie comes into play because everytime i decide to get the cinema i remember that for $2g less i can get a larger monitor. anyway rationality will probably win and i will go with either the studio or 19" electron blue for now.

from what i have heard/read in magazines, if you arent going to get a hardware calibration system (around $400) then the apple may be the best bet due to the built in hw calibration. if you do go with the lacie and get an external color calibrator i have read that it doesnt play nie with most brands and provides much better performance with the $600 lacie calibrator.

i will probably end up getting the studio display for now being that i dont want to spend more on a calibrator than a monitor. then if i begin to feel cramped in the future i will upgrade to the 22" electron blue with the lacie calibrator or the cinema display. anyway theres my 2�.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 11:23 PM

if you dont absolutly need the portability go with the DP. i like powerbooks becaue i need to travel between dorm and home and i cant lug a tower and a 60lb monitor back and forth. right now i am facing a similar decision as you, either a

DP 533/60gb/1gb ram/studio 17, electron blue 19, eletron blue 22, or cinema display 22
or
PB 400/30gb/512 ram

right now im most seriously considering the 17" studio display or the 19" lacie because they seem to offer the most bang for the buck, just like the 400 pb and the 533 dp, but that cinema display keeps on tempting me every time i go to the apple site with its wonderful screen and all its sexyness. its not that i couldnt afford the $3g its just that thats sort of rediculous and i could be spending that on a car. the 22" lacie comes into play because everytime i decide to get the cinema i remember that for $2g less i can get a larger monitor. anyway rationality will probably win and i will go with either the studio or 19" electron blue for now.

from what i have heard/read in magazines, if you arent going to get a hardware calibration system (around $400) then the apple may be the best bet due to the built in hw calibration. if you do go with the lacie and get an external color calibrator i have read that it doesnt play nie with most brands and provides much better performance with the $600 lacie calibrator.

i will probably end up getting the studio display for now being that i dont want to spend more on a calibrator than a monitor. then if i begin to feel cramped in the future i will upgrade to the 22" electron blue with the lacie calibrator or the cinema display. anyway theres my 2�.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2001, 01:04 AM

I have a G4 dual 500 and a 500 TiBook if you really need extreme speed the dual processors will be nice when OS X comes out but for now I don't see that much of a difference between my TiBook and my G4. It's nice to be able to use the TiBook the minute you think of an inpiring idea instead of having to wait till you go to the office.

Forum Links
Forum Rules