Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4 Spy Photos!!!!

New G4 Spy Photos!!!! (Page 2)
velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 07:05 PM

These could very well be prototypes or concept models for the original G4. There is no proof that these pictures have been taken recently. And, of course, there is no proof that they weren't.

Personally, I don't think that these are the enclosures that Apple will introduce. And I am not particulaly fond of them. Does anyone else think that the front panel looks like the color of primer on an old beat up Chevy Nova that has been sitting in someone's driveway for a few years?

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 07:22 PM

seems kinda wierd that theyd bother to take the stripes off after putting them on all the displays, but who knows, could be real.

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 07:45 PM

they have been (allegedly) sent a Cease and Desist letter from Apple. Looks like we got ourselves a winner here.

pity to you all who were too late to see it

I kind of liked it. From the mess on the sides it looked as if it were translucent... alas, its just a reflection. The concave speaker is pretty cool. But I think Apple could def do BETTER than this. The colors could be improved upon.

ciao

ZO

nealconner
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 07:48 PM

July 10, 2001, 3:30PM MST- Cease and Desist It took longer than expected but Apple Legal contacted us via telephone this afternoon asking for a complete removal of all photos or links to photos showing the new G4 Titan enclosure.
I personally think it looks stupid.

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 08:06 PM

OR the pictures could be of a prototype G4 that Apple isn't going to make. :o :o :o

tyris
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 08:13 PM

By telephone? Where, if anywhere, does their phone number appear on the web site? Frankly, I think it's a hoax trying to get us to think the picture's are real. But whatever. I'm getting a new G4 regardless of the case.

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 10, 2001, 08:30 PM

I just downloaded them off the link on page 1. Look before they are gone!

barry_black
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by tyris:
<STRONG>By telephone? Where, if anywhere, does their phone number appear on the web site? Frankly, I think it's a hoax trying to get us to think the picture's are real. But whatever. I'm getting a new G4 regardless of the case.</STRONG>

Well if you knew anything about the internet, you'd know that you have to register your phone number with your domain. So its really not that hard to find out info about a site:
&lt;p&gt;Registrant:
&lt;p&gt;J.S. Networth (MACOSX4-DOM)
&lt;p&gt; 2826 44th st
&lt;p&gt; Moline, IL 61265
&lt;p&gt; US
&lt;p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Domain Name: macosx.org
&lt;p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
&lt;p&gt; Schoemaker, jeremy (JS19131) [email protected]
&lt;p&gt; Macquake.com
&lt;p&gt; 2826 44th st
&lt;p&gt; Moline,, IL 61265
&lt;p&gt; 309-762-8306
&lt;p&gt; Technical Contact:
&lt;p&gt; Reveal, William E (WR115) [email protected]
&lt;p&gt; Internet Revealed
&lt;p&gt; 3800 23rd Ave Ste 105
&lt;p&gt; Moline, IL 61265
&lt;p&gt; 309-736-7424 (FAX) 309-736-9414

&lt;p&gt; Record last updated on 28-Nov-2000.
&lt;p&gt; Record expires on 13-Sep-2001.
&lt;p&gt; Record created on 13-Sep-1998.
&lt;p&gt; Database last updated on 10-Jul-2001 08:43:00 EDT.
&lt;p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Domain servers in listed order:
&lt;p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; NS1.CHEVELL.CX 63.226.49.99
&lt;p&gt; NS1.NIHIL.CX 63.226.49.100

tyris
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by barry_black:
<STRONG>

Well if you knew anything about the internet, you'd know that you have to register your phone number with your domain. So its really not that hard to find out info about a site:
</STRONG>
Doh.

Get Cubed
Jul 10, 2001, 08:44 PM

All I'm saying is that if this is the real deal then its obviously using prototype plastics. Just look at how bad the reflective drive bays clash with the matte finish of the rest of the bezel. Apple would never release something that hideous. Really. If they did they would be done for. It would make the Cube look like the best selling Apple product in the company's history.

Get Cubed

Get Cubed
Jul 10, 2001, 08:48 PM

Now if only the Appleinsider forums were up we could ask Dorsal about it...

Get Cubed

Get Cubed
Jul 10, 2001, 09:05 PM

Should have thought about this earlier but the front of this "prototype" looks suspiciously like the top of the current models doesn't it? Same bland matte finish to it. Could they have set a current G4 on its front to make it look like the top was actually the front and Photoshop it from there? Hmmm...

Get Cubed

<PB G3>
Jul 10, 2001, 09:22 PM

Don't you guys remember the prototype ProMouse photos posted on AI by WorkerBee. The plastics looked the same as the one's on this case. These are not photoshop fakes but are clearly in prototype plastics. This will not be released (looking like that) at MW

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 09:23 PM

maybe . . . they just said apple want the pictures down to make you think that they are real.

who knows.

Get Cubed
Jul 10, 2001, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by &lt;PB G3&gt;:
<STRONG>Don't you guys remember the prototype ProMouse photos posted on AI by WorkerBee.</STRONG>
Yup, and it looked like the real thing. This does not.

Get Cubed

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2001, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Get Cubed:
<STRONG>Should have thought about this earlier but the front of this "prototype" looks suspiciously like the top of the current models doesn't it? Same bland matte finish to it. Could they have set a current G4 on its front to make it look like the top was actually the front and Photoshop it from there? Hmmm...

Get Cubed</STRONG>
Wow I didn't even think about this. That makes alot of sense. Makes me wonder.
Regards,
Dave

<designbot>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:46 PM

Why has no one pointed out the most obvious weirdness about these pictures? What the hell kind of drives are these supposed to be? Especially if this is a narrower enclosure, the upper drive looks like it could barely hold a 3" miniature CD (the current G4 CD tray extends to within an inch of either side), and I don't have a clue what that thing in the lower slot is supposed to be! What is that, an enlarged SCSI port?? How is no one noticing this? Come on people, this pathetic amateur isn't even trying!

[img]http://www.macnytt.com/bilder/nyhetsbilder/henrik/g4/newg4top.jpg/img]

<designbot>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:49 PM

Why has no one pointed out the most obvious weirdness about these pictures? What the hell kind of drives are these supposed to be? Especially if this is a narrower enclosure, the upper drive looks like it could barely hold a 3" miniature CD (the current G4 CD tray extends to within an inch of either side), and I don't have a clue what that thing in the lower slot is supposed to be! What is that, an enlarged SCSI port?? How is no one noticing this? Come on people, this pathetic amateur isn't even trying!

[img]http://www.macnytt.com/bilder/nyhetsbilder/henrik/g4/newg4top.jpg/img]

<designbot>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:50 PM

Oops. Here's the pic.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by &lt;designbot&gt;:
<STRONG>Why has no one pointed out the most obvious weirdness about these pictures? What the hell kind of drives are these supposed to be? Especially if this is a narrower enclosure, the upper drive looks like it could barely hold a 3" miniature CD (the current G4 CD tray extends to within an inch of either side), and I don't have a clue what that thing in the lower slot is supposed to be! What is that, an enlarged SCSI port?? How is no one noticing this? Come on people, this pathetic amateur isn't even trying!

[img]http://www.macnytt.com/bilder/nyhetsbilder/henrik/g4/newg4top.jpg/img]</STRONG>
If you read the page they said this case had the exact same dimentions as the el capitan.

Top drive is probally ZIP, bottom looks like slot loading CD.

Personally I think they're still real. I do hope it's not the final design though.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: foobars ]

<soso>
Jul 11, 2001, 12:03 AM

Just so that idiot "Get Cubed" doesn't get credit for the speculation that the pictures are doctored photos of the *top* of the current G4's, let me remind everyone that InterfaceGuy posted this theory quite a few posts prior:

After further thinking about it this may be fake. Here is a possibility. The first reason I did not believe it to be a fake is cause of the front plate missing the stripes. This would be very difficult to do and it look right in photoshop. The second thing is look at the photo where you can see the side, and the reflection of what is sitting next to the computer. There is no handle to open it. I think this could be a picture of the computer actually sitting on its back side and you are seeing the top. That would explain why there are no stripes. The drives, speaker, and power button could have been added in photoshop or physically edited into the machine.

sMACk
Jul 11, 2001, 12:14 AM

What I don't understand is if the bottom slot is a slot loading drive, how come it's covered by plastic? When you insert a zip, the plastic can't fold inward and it doesn't seem to have any kind of hinge. Doesn't make sense to me.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 12:22 AM

So the verdict is... it's a real G4

in somebody's basement, in Omaha.

Can't wait for the 18th.

Z

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 12:25 AM

When you insert a zip, the plastic can't fold inward and it doesn't seem to have any kind of hinge. Doesn't make sense to me.
Well, the lack of an apparent hinge or opening is what makes the design so cool. If this is the design Apple intends to use, it will be cool to see how it works. For all we know, it could slide in and out like a garage door...

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 12:53 AM

I really think this is not a fake. I just think it is a old prototyp of the origanal G4. But it might be a PS mock up and be the top of the G4 that is what it looks like. Ether way we will not see this at MWNY or any other MW to come!!

Dose anyone have the pic of the protyp of the ProMouse Worker Bee Posted?? Thanks a lot

Get Cubed
Jul 11, 2001, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by &lt;soso&gt;:
<STRONG>Just so that idiot "Get Cubed" doesn't get credit for the speculation that the pictures are doctored photos of the *top* of the current G4's, let me remind everyone that InterfaceGuy posted this theory quite a few posts prior:

</STRONG>
Say that to my face you coward, you don't even have the guts to register here. And no, I didn't see his post until you mentioned it. Can you guess what two words I have for you?

Get ****** (formerly Get Cubed but you put me in a pissy mood)

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 01:04 AM

Now that I look at it, it does look like the top of the current G4's.

Hmmmmm...

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]
~Peace~

Eugene
Senior User
Jul 11, 2001, 01:31 AM

Er, hingeless? Folks, it's called the end-plate on a tray.

Anyway, I doubt we'll see these on the 18th, though they do look like actual photos of *something*

sMACk
Jul 11, 2001, 02:04 AM

Eugene, slot loading drives don't have end plates. The lower slot looks like a slot load drive to me.

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 02:21 AM

Who here has seen the car CD players with the faceplate that extends and flips over to allow access to the slot load disc drive? Practically everybody, I'd bet.. Why can't those doors operate that way?

No pinstripes? Good! Who here hates them in OS X? I sure do, and I would be happy if they vanished from the Mac completely. They ruin an otherwise clean look. The TiBook doesn't have them, the iBook doesn't have them now, the Cube didn't have them (did it?). Why should the new G4?

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: itomato ]
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

<Sawtooth>
Jul 11, 2001, 04:09 AM

Well Im not shure if they are a mish-mash of real and doctored images to conceal the identity, but the image of the the transparent side panel with reflection of wires/internals etc... is taken from Macworld UK magazine, from their review of the 733 G4s a few months back.

???

<erohead>
Jul 11, 2001, 04:13 AM

Uhh. I think they "pulled" the link just to make it look authentic. Go check out the actual links
http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4close1.jpg http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4close2.jpg http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4side.jpg http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4front.jpg http://www.macosx.org/images/newg4top.jpg

The pics are still there.

I think it's fake. Look at the speaker. It doesn't look like there's a way to put a protective cover on it. I don't think they'll do something that stupid.

Cipher13
Jul 11, 2001, 04:43 AM

If Apple sells that, I will laugh Jobs out of Cupertino.

Come on, how does one put a new drive in there if it has additional drive bays? Its a one-piece front!

And if they haven't realised that people want more drive bays...

Those things are UGLY, and the pictures are awful. Come on, look at the transparency on that shot!

Get real.

I'm sorry if you have been sucked in by this. You have my pity.

New
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 04:55 AM

well, having studied those pictures closely, I'm conviced its the top of a current G4, and the drives/speaker have been added in photoshop.
The reflection in the speaker "hole" is too bright compared to the rest of the reflections on the front. I believe there is a small mismatch in the angle and colors of the two drives...

Thats my opinion anyway... If this comes out in six days, I'll be the first to eat my keypad...

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 07:56 AM

Here is yet another pic...

much clearer, although smaller.

This may be a proto, but seems strange that multiple sources are getting the same proto.

I personally think it looks cool.

I believe this is just a SMALL REVISION for end-of-life G4s and then next year, when the G5s come out, there will be a more radical design.

Might as well save the MAJOR changes for the MAJOR new processors. This case UPDATE is nice.

I just pray there are TWO FULL BAYS this time and non of the 1 CD 1 Zip bay Bullsh!t

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 08:00 AM

btw, notice that the above mentioned pic HAS AN APPLE LOGO!!! The other pics DO NOT.

Another thing I noticed (or imagined) is that the front looks like a representation of the Sun (the silver speaker), and the Earth with its Moon (power and reset switch).... mmmmmm... I like that idea. Its nice to wonder.

ZO

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2001, 08:41 AM

Bezel....sounds neat...i think i will name my kid that. As for the enclosure....eh it's ok. Seven days baby!

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 08:45 AM

These pics are photoshopped, no doubt about it, but they might be inspired by insider info about the new towers...

I love the current design, it still looks very good. They might just update it and leave a complete new design for the G5 towers.

<real_apple_employee>
Jul 11, 2001, 08:47 AM

these photos are proto-types of the real thing. the smaller picture is a later, almost final version.
there will be 2 optical drives on the new g4s, no more zip drives.
2 colors, graphite and ice

want more?

all dual processors, 133 bus, 40/60/80gig drives, 128,256,512 ram, 733, 866,1.1ghz

1699/2499/3499

os x 10.1 puma will be done on friday, will ship on 7/18 w/9.2

500/600 pbg4 w/cdrw and cdrw/dvd

cube = imac, think cube and 15" lcd 999/1299/1499

osx final cut pro, new itunes, new imovie, web objects

you did not hear this from me

one more thing.

itablet

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 09:13 AM

almost believable... but your biggest point of BS is the Puma status.

There is almost no way Puma will be done for next week. MacOS X will not go from the pitiful state it is in now to a whole .1 update by next Wednesday.

But anyway, heres to wishful thinking.

PS No DDR? still 133Mhz Bus? That sucks... if thats true. BTW, with RAM prices as they are today, the lowest end G4 should come with MINIMUM 256MB of Ram.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by &lt;real_apple_employee&gt;:
<STRONG>itablet</STRONG>
I was laughing pretty hard at the people who said this was a fake- but when I saw this I keeled over and fell off of my chair.

I don't think so.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 09:23 AM

<STRONG>these photos are proto-types of the real thing. the smaller picture is a later, almost final version.
there will be 2 optical drives on the new g4s, no more zip drives.
2 colors, graphite and ice

want more?

all dual processors, 133 bus, 40/60/80gig drives, 128,256,512 ram, 733, 866,1.1ghz

1699/2499/3499

os x 10.1 puma will be done on friday, will ship on 7/18 w/9.2

500/600 pbg4 w/cdrw and cdrw/dvd

cube = imac, think cube and 15" lcd 999/1299/1499

osx final cut pro, new itunes, new imovie, web objects

you did not hear this from me

one more thing.

itablet</STRONG>
Remember, if someone asks you, "Did someone calling himself 'real_apple_employee' give you specs for the new systems?", you didn't hear it from him.

More rumor and hints to stir up the pot .. I love it. I don't even care if it's all lies; it's like March all over again.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by ZO:
<STRONG>There is almost no way Puma will be done for next week. MacOS X will not go from the pitiful state it is in now to a whole .1 update by next Wednesday.</STRONG>
10.1 will be at MacWorld.

APC
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 09:36 AM

The G4 predictions by real_apple_employee seem reasonable, except for the 1,1 GHz part... 1,13 GHz is the 8.5x bus multiplier... seems unreasonable to step from 866 to 1133 MHz. there's 933, 1000 and 1066 MHz in between. I would expect 933 or 1 GHz top, more probably 933.

Just my two cents
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

<Tarbash>
Jul 11, 2001, 09:38 AM

This has got to be either a fake or an old prototype. I've been to Apple, and Ive been behind closed doors in their reliability testing labs. Even reliability testers don't see the final enclosure! With the "ovens" and Sub Zeros, they tape a black cloth over the window and just write the codename on a sheet of paper. Even the head guy I met there hadnt actually seen the new G4 case, nor any other future project. The only people who see the casings are the people doing the plastics and molding. They come in and out and retrieve the test machines in secrecy.

So I doubt some awful photographer just walked in and snapped up pictures. First, no Apple employee is that stupid, second, you need an Apple badge to even get passed the lobby in the tesing building, or any other building for that matter!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2001, 10:00 AM

First... That picture was floating around the net almost a year ago.

Second... All three lcd displays were JUST updated with different horizontal ribbing... the ribs are thicker and spaced further apart then before and on the current G4 Towers so this is obviously a sign of things to come.

Third... I and my co-workers have been getting surveys from Apple now for over a week asking about what we like/don't like about the current tower design which indicates to me that an update (at least major) to the Towers will NOT come at MWNY. Traditionally, this July show has been consumer oriented anyway and we KNOW new imacs are coming. I would NOT expect any major g4 tower chasis.

Finally, I use photoshop for a living and I can tell you that the bezel in the original photos was HEAVILY altered...and quite likely faked... simply zoom in on the unit and even an novice photoshop user will see the signs.

<real_apple_employee>
Jul 11, 2001, 10:00 AM

i cannot resist this.

if you are at mwny come to the apple area. look for me in a grey suit, name badge = hermie

apologize for doubting me

5M31 or 32

and the beat goes on

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 10:03 AM

<STRONG>i cannot resist this.

if you are at mwny come to the apple area. look for me in a grey suit, name badge = hermie

apologize for doubting me

5M31 or 32

and the beat goes on</STRONG>
If that's true something tells me you're not gonna make it to MacWorld, buddy.

Jamie
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 10:12 AM

<STRONG>i cannot resist this.
</STRONG>
I think you should have. Steve will be marching down towards your office in about... NOW!

Hope you enjoyed Apple!

Jamie

el matteo
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 10:23 AM

it would be an early prototype of the BLUE AND WHITE G3, or a Graphite color-test before the pinstripes and drive doors were added.
Ok first of all, this makes absolutely no sense. The BW G3 had translucent handles and sides, with a blue front and blue Apple on the side. So why would a prototype of the BW G3 have CLEAR handles and sides, with a graphite front and Apple logo on the side, almost identical to the G4? Unless Apple operates in some weird time warp, that's a most unreasonable suggestion. Secondly, why would Apple change the drive bays, speaker, and placement of the power and reset buttons for a prototype of the G4, and then scrap it, going back to the old style? Again, that doesn't make any sense.

The clarity through the side is what the current case would look like before the snowy color was chosen/applied.
Ok, how many people in this thread have already noted that the side isn't transparent, you're not seeing wires through it, you're seeing a reflection of something sitting beside the unit? If it were transparent, all you'd see is the bottom of the motherboard.

Want to know why it's not? Look at the photo of the tower at the angle facing you. Familiar? It should be, it's the same angle as the early (pre-multiprocessor) shots of the G4 from Apple's own website. To get that kind of dramatic angle you need a wide-angle lens
bull. take a one-time-use camera from the drug store and look at a G4 through the viewfinder. you don't need a wide angle lense to take a picture of the computer from a 3/4 view.

And look at all that crap behind the "transparent" case of the thing. A REAL computer doesn't use this many wires. What a mess!
See above.

Should have thought about this earlier but the front of this "prototype" looks suspiciously like the top of the current models doesn't it? Same bland matte finish to it. Could they have set a current G4 on its front to make it look like the top was actually the front and Photoshop it from there? Hmmm...
Actually, no. Not unless they did a damn good job of photoshopping the side of the machine, complete with its right-side-up Apple logo. Also, I'm not sure if you have access to a G3/G4, but if you do, try doing what you suggested. First of all, it's a lot deeper than it is tall, enough that you'd be able to tell it by looking at the picture (it would appear way too tall, and not deep enough). Secondly, the handles on the bottom of the G4 are flat on the bottom. The others are curved. If you try to sit a G4 on its side, or upside down, it will fall over. By looking at the pictures, you can see that the bottom of the bottom handle is definately flat, unlike the top of the top handle, which is much curvier.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: el matteo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules