Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g4 information

powermac g4 information
unknown_source
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2001, 04:08 PM

hello.
i know the speeds and the hard drive sizes for the new powermac g4 towers that are coming out on tuesday.
one thing i will confirm now is the case design you have seen is real.
it is not a photoshop job.
it may have that color the same color theme as you see it now or an ibook color theme to it with white paneling and the handles will be completly clear with no ridges.
if you believe me and want to hear the speeds and the drive sizes i will think it over.[/LIST]

<MacJunkie>
Jul 13, 2001, 04:17 PM

If you believe me and want to hear the speeds and the drive sizes i will think it over.
I for one am game...

Personally, I would like to see Apple offer dual IBM DeskStar 75GXP IDE HDDs (75GB/7,200rpm/2MB buffer) running on an UltraATA/100 interface...

And I realize that it probably wouldn't happen, but if that UltraATA/100 interface were bootable RAID Level 0 enabled...!

Now about that nVidia/Apple Quadro DCC OpenGL AGP 4x card for Mac OS X/Maya...

Cheers!

Maya for Mac OS X

APC
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 04:20 PM

We're listening.

I heard something about 80 GB drives in the high-end models...

for the clockspeed, the possibilities for the top speed, are, IMO, 866,933, and 1 GHz.
I'm betting on 933.

Cheers
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

<agent bender>
Jul 13, 2001, 04:24 PM

so... why do you confirm the case but not post the speeds? i don�t quite get that.
i mean, whatever you post, some will believe you, and some will say you�re talking plain cr*p.
that�s the way it goes... and you can�t seriously ask "will you all believe me?" in advance!
i mean, how do we know? maybe you want to tell us that the speeds will reach 185 mph and the drive sizes will be about 2" x 4" x 6"...

however.
and now, post your specs.

unknown_source  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2001, 04:28 PM

apc you are close.
western digital will be the drive brand.
40, 60, 80.
there will be multi processor configs but for what speed i do not know.
800, 866, 933, ???
mark my words.

APC
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 04:36 PM

the hard drive bit fits perfectly with what I read some days ago... even the brand.

The CPU part, well, that's kinda easy to guess I think... I hope that Steve will announce the GHz machine, without immediate availability of course.

Conclusion? well, I believe you

We'll see in a few days, I have big expectations for this Macworld Expo, despite the latest round of rumors.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: APC ]
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

<mr blur>
Jul 13, 2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by unknown_source:
<STRONG>hello.
i know the speeds and the hard drive sizes for the new powermac g4 towers that are coming out on tuesday. [/LIST]</STRONG>

tuesday?

hmm...steve's keynote is on the 18th, that's wednesday, right? i find it hard to believe that anything comes out of apple on tuesday.......

theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 06:23 PM

Yaeh the finanical results are out on Tuesday..then MWNY on Wednesday

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 06:31 PM

Why is it that the MP configs are such a mystery?
~Peace~

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 13, 2001, 06:39 PM

Ewww ewww ewww Western Digital

Why would Apple choose to use the patented Disposable Hard Disk instead of something reliable? I say IBM Deskstar...

tooki

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 14, 2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
<STRONG>Ewww ewww ewww Western Digital

Why would Apple choose to use the patented Disposable Hard Disk instead of something reliable? I say IBM Deskstar...

tooki</STRONG>
One word: Cost

I have seen a web site of my local computer store selling the 80GB 7200rpm WD hard drive for around $335 CDN while the 75GB IBM Deskstar (also 7200rpm) for $389 CDN.

I too prefer IBM over WD. The WD hard drive in my G4 is noiser than the other 3 IBM drives combined.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Cosmo
Jul 14, 2001, 12:40 PM

I know most people don't like WD, but personally I have no problems with them. I have had this 5400rpm 30gig WD drive in my iMac for about a year now. The noise is no worse than the stock drive and i have had no problems with it. With regards to the low end, i think making 800 the low end would be a great move, this is the first time in recent history (that i can think of) that apple has released an update whose low end was more powerful than the previous model's high end.
As I mentioned before I do not repeat myself.

www.CheerMarkham.com

App-L
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2001, 05:30 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE answer this simple question ....

Will there be DDR???

How about ATA/100???

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: App-L ]

unknown_source  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mr blur&gt;:
<STRONG>

tuesday?

hmm...steve's keynote is on the 18th, that's wednesday, right? i find it hard to believe that anything comes out of apple on tuesday.......</STRONG>
i am sorry.
i stand corrected.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2001, 08:36 PM

<STRONG>800, 866, 933, ???
mark my words.</STRONG>
Maybe this will be the time to replace my three year old Bondi Rev.A iMac with a PowerMac and LCD. A jump from 466 to 800 on the low end would be a miracle. Even if the new low end were 733 I would be flabbergasted.

84.5 hours until Steve Jobs' MWNY keynote.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

<MacAddict>
Jul 14, 2001, 09:23 PM

Arrr...I dunno. Another 200MHz leap is a lot (for Apple of course), and I don't know if they'd pull it off.

I just hope that the entry level model has a more reasonable price ($1699? No way. Considering the rumors over at Think Secret of a $1399 high end model iMac, I think the PowerMac could drop to $1499) , the Mhz numbers take a leap (having a 466Mhz entry level model was embarrassing...we need a high range of at least say, 667 to 933), and more drive bays... I want more drive bays. I hate the fact that I can't have both a 16X DVD-ROM drive and a 24X CD-RW drive without forking over a large sum for external drives.

I hope the linup goes something like this:

Fast
733MHz 7450
256MB DDR RAM
40GB HD
12X CDRW Drive
$1499

Faster
Dual 866MHz 7440
256MB DDR RAM
60GB HD
12X CDRW Drive
$1999

Fastest
Dual 933MHz 7440
512MB DDR RAM
80GB HD
SuperDrive
$2499

Ultimate
Dual 1000MHz 7440
512MB DDR RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
$2999

Apple could allow a BTO option for single processors and take off $200.

I'd expect everything here to be a thousand dollars more, without dual processors.

unknown_source  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2001, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by App-L:
<STRONG>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE answer this simple question ....

Will there be DDR???

How about ATA/100???

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: App-L ]</STRONG>
sorry.
not that i am aware of.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2001, 05:25 AM

7440????????!!!!!!!
That would suck.
That has no L3 cache.
I say it had better be 7450 all the way.

The IBM deskstar is nice, although i get random drive errors and long pauses with it in, which could just be the bus.

When I get a new comp, the 75GB deskstar goes in it, even if the stock is bigger.

It is a nice, quiet drive.
and it only cost me $300, too.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2001, 10:11 AM

I would be surprised but wish they offered a system w/o any disk drive. Any why 75GXP??? It is over a year old and has been supplanted by 60GXP - for months.

I'd prefer the ATTO w/ 2x36GB Maxtor Atlas 10k III, mirror boot system and stripe RAID. And one Deskstar 60GXP.

DDR, G4/733 dual (low-end), and I think ATA/100 is over-hyped - w/o RAID or something still has trouble reaching 40MB/s sustained r/w and saturating bus.

<oranjdisc>
Jul 15, 2001, 10:16 AM

One thing i don't get is why apple is bothering making a new case for the G4 at this time, when (theoretically) there won't be anything all that new in it. I would think they'd save a hardware design change for a chip bump, like from the bondi G3 &gt; graphite G4.

I could care less really about the case...

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 11:12 AM

And why bother change the cases if the changes are so minor as those made in the "spyphotos"? Seems a bit "strange" does`nt it?

Tom

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2001, 11:59 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The speeds will be 733, 867 and Dual 800.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Nimisys
Banned
Jul 15, 2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by &lt;oranjdisc&gt;:
<STRONG>One thing i don't get is why apple is bothering making a new case for the G4 at this time, when (theoretically) there won't be anything all that new in it. I would think they'd save a hardware design change for a chip bump, like from the bondi G3 &gt; graphite G4.

I could care less really about the case...</STRONG>
they got to have something to distract from the fact that after 12-18 month it starting to get some of the same technologies as the PC side... kinda of like the big Pc133 and 133bus thing before. if you do it loud enough and with enough spin you can make a speed drop lookt good. intel did with the P4.

sooshy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2001, 12:24 PM

quote:

JLL

Thats R E A L I S T I C

<erohead>
Jul 15, 2001, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by sooshy:
<STRONG>quote:

JLL

Thats R E A L I S T I C</STRONG>

I still can't see why they'd use a slower chip for the dual config... unless, the prices are something like

733: 1599
867: 2099
dual 800: 2499

Apple can't possibly place those three in the traditional price slots of 1599, 2499, and 3499. No way. Or, if it's a dual 866, then maybe something like 2799 for it might make sense.

Not when a P4/1.7GHz VAIO with the same Pioneer super drives are going for 2499. No way.

<joe>
Jul 15, 2001, 02:02 PM

867 THE HIGHEST SPEED??
THAT IS SAD!!!

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by &lt;joe&gt;:
<STRONG>867 THE HIGHEST SPEED??
THAT IS SAD!!! </STRONG>
No, in Apple �language� the highest speed is 1.6GHz (2x800MHz)

Seriously though, using Mac OS X (which hopefully will be updated) you should get full use of both processors.
JLL

unknown_source  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2001, 03:52 PM

people do not listen to me.
highest speed is 933.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2001, 04:26 PM

<STRONG>people do not listen to me.</STRONG>
OK we won't
JLL

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2001, 04:36 PM

JLL I can't believe you equated a dual 800 to 1.6GHz. Multiple processors != aggregate clock speed. That's jam packed with ridiculosity. If anything you can only aggregate ops per second with a multiprocessor set-up. It isn't like OS 9 or 10 can't handle multiple processors the problem is the nature of SMP and scheduling. Right now people aren't taking advantage of the fact that 10 supports process priorities with more variation than idle, normal, and realtime. In most OS10 apps threads aren't getting launched with proper prioritizing and are thus getting pushed to the wayside by other processes. Behind this problem is the nature of SMP itself.

It is really easy to thread some operation that involves doing the same thing to different bits of data with little comunication to anything else. Thus stuff like rendering engines and server deamons can be easily and well threaded. You'd think something like iTunes would fall into this catagory, afterall you could put the MP3 decoder in a thread and the visualizations in another thread. This might work with two processors but on a single processor you'd find one thread only got a fraction of the processor time of the other. Any programming textbook teaching threading will have some good examples of how poor prioritizing and scheduling can mess you up. Then stuff like AppleWorks or OmniWeb runs into other problems because you're running alot of smaller random functions that it is more difficult to lump into threads. A problem you ran into with OS 9 apps was the lack of any threading whatsoever. Apple hasn't exactly made it easy on programmers by giving them an intelligently threaded libraries like Be did. Dual processors are not a desktop panacea! Especially when said processors are running on a typical memory bus rather than a fat crossbar architecture.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2001, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
<STRONG>JLL I can't believe you equated a dual 800 to 1.6GHz.</STRONG>
I said in Apple �language�.
JLL

<JR / Denmark>
Jul 15, 2001, 04:56 PM

If apple doens't go dual all the way it will suck bigtime !!! especially if the highest clockrate is 867 ...

I'd hate to be one of those doomsday-sayers, but seriously ... we need

733 dual
833 dual
933 dual

and a single 1ghz just for show ...

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 05:36 PM

Look, what is out now are the SKUs for the G4s Apple will ship into the channel in the reasonable future. Steve Jobs may *announce* a faster G4 in the keynote, but it won't be available for a number of weeks/months. You can't tell any of the "under the hood" things from an SKU (just CPU clockspeed and drive size - the things that Apple uses to differentiate between models) - so there could be some good news come Wednesday as far as the bus speed, DDR vs SDRAM, video graphics, etc.

glurx
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2001, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by &lt;JR / Denmark&gt;:
<STRONG>If apple doens't go dual all the way it will suck bigtime !!! especially if the highest clockrate is 867 ...

I'd hate to be one of those doomsday-sayers, but seriously ... we need

733 dual
833 dual
933 dual

and a single 1ghz just for show ...</STRONG>
Apple needs to actually ship 1 ghz+ boxes and not just announce/demo one. If not at MWNY then ASAP thereafter. They need to be dual processor too.

so far, Motorola is the exception to Moore's Law.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 05:49 PM

Oh, and if the spy photos are real (my guess is they are) the reason you change the case (but not very much) is to accomodate what you CAN'T see from the photos. One possibility is they switched the 3 1/2" drive bay to the top of the case so that the 5 1/4" bay is on the bottom which would let you put ANOTHER 5 1/4" bay under that one...... Other possibilities are far more interesting, but far less likely - such as a complete motherboard makeover to use the new nVidia nForce chipset.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 06:11 PM

Oh, and the starting price is still $1,599 (but you should get a single 733 for that price now - gee OS X isn't slow at all anymore!).

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2001, 09:13 PM

snodman-

What are you talking about?

You are making no sense.
~Peace~

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Bodhi:
<STRONG>snodman-

What are you talking about?

You are making no sense. </STRONG>
SKU's are what the guy down at Fry's or Comp USA looks at when he or she reads the price and availability information off their little computer screen at the store. It tells the employees how many units are in stock or on order and what price they sell for. Until a big retailer gets an SKU there is no way for them to actually receive merchandise. The SKUs hit about a week before the product hits the shelves. SKUs for unannounced merchandise are supposed to be "secret", but anybody who works for an Apple reseller could look them up (if their warehouse has posted them). So even though nobody outside of Apple and a few buyers have seen the real goods that Steve Jobs will trot out on Wednesday, several hundred people can confirm what the prices will be and a couple of specs (clock speed, hard drive capacity) for the first shipping models.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by snodman:
<STRONG>Look, what is out now are the SKUs for the G4s Apple will ship into the channel in the reasonable future. Steve Jobs may *announce* a faster G4 in the keynote, but it won't be available for a number of weeks/months. You can't tell any of the "under the hood" things from an SKU (just CPU clockspeed and drive size - the things that Apple uses to differentiate between models) - so there could be some good news come Wednesday as far as the bus speed, DDR vs SDRAM, video graphics, etc.</STRONG>
I guess where I am confused is above where you state that the SKU's are out and that speeds are attached to them....but you dont say what the speeds or SKU's are?!? What info are you basing your statement that Jobs *may* announce faster G4's but they will not be out for weeks/months? If SKU's are in the system (yes I know what a SKU is) then that means there are new and faster machines coming. This being the case, I do not understand this comment:

Steve Jobs may *announce* a faster G4 in the keynote
~Peace~

<iohjsdg>
Jul 16, 2001, 12:35 AM

Bodhi, I think what he's saying is that Steve always has the option of announcing future-availability (or Apple Store only) models, such as a GHz G4, which don't yet have a SKU and hence won't be immediately available.

What I want to know is how you get processor speed information from a SKU. I was under the impression that all that you could tell was that there will be X new models of [iMac, G4], and what their MSRPs are.

What are the new SKU numbers? Particularly for the G4s... Think Secret says 4 iMac SKUs, 2 $999 and 2 $1299, presumably two models with two colors each.

Are there confirmed G4 speeds, then?

Alex

Nimisys
Banned
Jul 16, 2001, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by snodman:
[QB}Other possibilities are far more interesting, but far less likely - such as a complete motherboard makeover to use the new nVidia nForce chipset.[/QB]
the nForce isn't happeuning for the Apple Platform, not as long as Motorola is there with RapidIO, as the key to nForce is AMD's HTB, RapidIO's direct compititor.

<speedracer83>
Jul 17, 2001, 07:46 PM

6 new iMac's (2) @ 999 (2) @ 1299 (2) @ 1499
3 new G4's 1699 2499 3499

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 12:40 AM

&gt;&gt;so far, Motorola is the exception to Moore's Law.

LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules