Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stickers? (to protect iBook)

Stickers? (to protect iBook)
motorhead99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 06:14 PM

OK, call me crazy, whatever, this is not the topic of this post.

My wife's VAIO came with some stickers on the palmrest, and we didn't remove those for the 8 months we had it, because it doens't hurt.

I'm about to get an iBook, which I'd like to keep in pristine condition. I like my things to be neat and clean. Since the iBook seems very easy to scratch, I think some stickers on the palmrest and especially on the lid will protect it somehow even if it doesn't look so cool. I wonder where do I get some stickers (or some other material) that I can stick on the iBook and which peels off without leaving marks. I'd like to peel it off every once in a while and replace it with new one. Plain white or any other decent color will do. I was thinking of vinil book cover but that doesn't stick very well.

Any ideas? Once again, if you don't like it, please no flames.

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2001, 06:25 PM

You want stickers on your iBook - it's like wearing a raincoat so that you new designer suit doesn't stain

If I were you, I wouldn't, not just because of the look, the glue of the stickers could damage the shiny surface (some adhesives will solve the plastic surface, the result is that it's matt). The Vaios don't have such a shiny surface, they are already mate.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 07:48 PM

Only thing I can think of is to get some of those static stickers.. the ones that adhere to glass and other smooth surfaces without any adhesive. Maybe an automotive store would carry some sort of decals.. Hotrod iBook anyone?

-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 10, 2001, 07:54 PM

Personally, I think stickers look tacky. Stickers make the product look cheap, too. Probably why Apple doesn't cover their machines with stickers. Bad for the brand image.

I can understand your concern with scratching up your machine, however. I don't think there is any getting around that... even the space bar gets worn on new Macs.

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2001, 02:57 AM

A worn spacebar gives a Mac character. Anyway, I'd suggest buying a very nice and padded bag and just be careful.. And keep your fingers crossed that Apple goes Nokia-style and releases faceplates for the iBook this July. Here's to hoping.

-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

<sadfdfdf>
Jun 11, 2001, 03:50 AM

Check out http://www.rippedsheets.com

They have a very impressive array of sticker stock (all the regular stuff, plus glow in the dark, tyvek, water soluble, etc.), and even very affordably cut it to any size/shape you like in short runs. You might want to check out the "ultra-removable" category.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2001, 04:47 AM

Don't forget the two big Apple stickers you get in the box, although they are white and white-on-white may not have the desired effect

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 07:01 AM

&gt;&gt;You want stickers on your iBook - it's like wearing a raincoat so that you new designer suit doesn't stain

For real dude, you dont want protection stickers on your beautiful iBook. Thats just as tacky as those vinyl couch covers!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 11, 2001, 10:29 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 21, 2004 at 12:53 PM. )

motorhead99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG> But please don't transfer your "Intel Inside" or "PIII" or "RedHat Linux" stickers on it. </STRONG>
Oh, you forgot "designed for Windows 98" LOL!!!

Oh, no, I'll never do that! those stickers are gonna stay on VAIO, I was just looking for some new stickers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules