Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New large-screen iBook for July

New large-screen iBook for July
Andrew Boucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 10:08 AM

I was just flipping through the Bloomberg news for Apple when I came across this one, dated 24 May. "Apple Computer Inc., the second largest seller of computers to U.S. schools, plans to release a larger-screen version of its recently introduced IBook laptop in July, Apple's Taiwan contractor Alpha-Top Corp. said. ... Apple's order should boost Alph-Top's profit by almost a third to ... $24 million... [Alpha Top spokesman] declined to elaborate on design detais and the size of the IBook order." Does anyone believe this ??

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Andrew Boucher:
<STRONG>I was just flipping through the Bloomberg news for Apple when I came across this one, dated 24 May. "Apple Computer Inc., the second largest seller of computers to U.S. schools, plans to release a larger-screen version of its recently introduced IBook laptop in July, Apple's Taiwan contractor Alpha-Top Corp. said. ... Apple's order should boost Alph-Top's profit by almost a third to ... $24 million... [Alpha Top spokesman] declined to elaborate on design detais and the size of the IBook order." Does anyone believe this ??</STRONG>
This topic was discussed in several threads and most people do not beliebe the rumor. The arguments: the iBook is brand new, it's selling like crazy and many, many customers who recently bought an iBook would be angry to see a new version introduced in July. On the other hand, there could be minor improvements at MWNY, and new colors are even probable.

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 10:27 AM

This old news.
Like mentioned earlier on this site, if you add things up it all makes sense.

-What model in the line-up needs a major revision?
-What model at this current time is the only one without a LCD display?
-What company said they were no longer making CRT displays?

Answer these and you have your answer.

It is too early for a major overhaul on the iBook. A 14" screen would require a whole new casing, which in the long end will cost Apple tons of money. Apple likes to milk the life out all the casings... look at all the previous products. There has NEVER been a product from apple with a major case change within a year, and people expect them to change it in 2 months? Dream on.

The real answer is a whole new iMac LCD. Period!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2001, 11:28 AM

I'm betting it's the new iMac. I've been saying for a long time that a flat-panel iMac makes sense. No reason to create another iBook so soon.

The iBook2 is $1299. Put it in a slightly larger, easier to manufacture chassis, with off-the-shelf parts, slap a 14" screen on it, and you've got a new iMac for close to the same price. Cool.

Looking at it another way, the base Cube is also $1299. Put a G3 and some other cheaper components in it, slap a 14" screen on it, and you've got a new iMac for close to the same price. Cool.

pkjackson
Jun 13, 2001, 12:40 PM

A new iMac is a given (LCD).

I minor update to the iBook is a possibility (colors).

Bloomberg News says null"Apple plans to release a larger-screen version of its recently introduced iBook". To me, this does not sound like a new iBook, but a altogether new machine that looks like the iBook, but a little larger to accomodate a larger screen (14")

But, I all comes down to what Steve has for us on July 18th!!

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 02:14 PM

Why is that you people do not understand in order to use a 14" screen, the casing would have to be redesigned. The current model can not fit that screen size. 14" into a 12" space does NOT work! Now if it was the other way around, that's a whole other can of worms.

It's a iMac LCD. There isn't a big enough price gap for another portable. $500.00 isn't enough space. (Combo w/20gb approx. $2000 & the G4 PB 400 approx. $2500)

Everyone on here always thinks too much about this... putting their expectations way too high.

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 02:16 PM

Why is that you people do not understand in order to use a 14" screen, the casing would have to be redesigned. The current model can not fit that screen size. 14" into a 12" space does NOT work! Now if it was the other way around, that's a whole other can of worms.

It's a iMac LCD. There isn't a big enough price gap for another portable. $500.00 isn't enough space. (Combo w/20gb approx. $2000 & the G4 PB 400 approx. $2500)

Everyone on here always thinks too much about this... putting their expectations way too high.

Remember too that the Mandarin(Taiwanese)-English translation could also be a factor in this whole rumor.

Andrew Boucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 03:08 AM

This is on Bloomberg, which is presumably taking the story from a press release of the company, Alpha-Top. Companies, at least in the West, cannot just emit press releases with false information. I doubt that a Taiwanese company can as well, but to be honest I'm not familiar with Taiwenese law. I think the most likely explanation is that someone at Bloomberg transcribed the press release incorrectly. Still, this is not likely because of a part in the Bloomberg feature I didn't add: "The new IBook, to be made exclusively by Taipei-based Alpha-Top for Apple, will have a wider screen and come in a variety of colors instead of the single white Apple introduced on May 1, said Alpha-Top spokesman Wang Hsin-wu." So there's seems to be no mistake and we *are* talking about an IBook. Perhaps there is an outside possibility we're talking about a TiBook, but i don't think it can be an iMac.

Anyway, does anyone know the company Alpha-Top? Maybe this whole thing is made-up, and Bloomberg took a false press release innocently.

Andrew Boucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 04:02 AM

I wrote to the Bloomberg reporter, George Hsu, and his reply confirms the story (no mistranslations...), though now the company chairman "declined to confirm details and timing." The chairman's previous remarks were "off the record."

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 09:07 AM

<STRONG>This is on Bloomberg, which is presumably taking the story from a press release of the company, Alpha-Top. Companies, at least in the West, cannot just emit press releases with false information. I doubt that a Taiwanese company can as well, but to be honest I'm not familiar with Taiwenese law.</STRONG>
You sound like you are studying the rights... one has to distinguish law and capability... every company *can* emit false information, though in some countries the *may* not do this. You can do a lot of illegal things, after all. If you could not, there need not be any law.

<iBook3>
Jun 14, 2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by iBook2:
<STRONG>Why is that you people do not understand in order to use a 14" screen, the casing would have to be redesigned. The current model can not fit that screen size. 14" into a 12" space does NOT work! Now if it was the other way around, that's a whole other can of worms.</STRONG>
I'm not logged in now (to protect the innocent)

People,
The casing *has* been redesigned. There *will* be a 14" iBook. And it should be at the same price point as the existing 12" iBook. Deal with it. It's out in the field now - so it's no big secret (especially to the likes of O'grady, etc.) No, I have not hugged one with my bare hands, nor do I know when they'll release it. Though they should announce it sometime in July. This much I do know.

It's cheaper for Apple to make a huge 14" LCD order (for iMacs and iBooks) than mix it up with 12" and 14" LCD's.

Now, before you kids get too upset... remember when they first released the PowerBook G3?... and how many rapid iterations there were of the product before they somewhat standarized with specs with the Lombards and then the Pismo's?

This is life. There will always be something newer and better coming out. The current 12" iBook is a killer product. It will still be when the 14"s come out.

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by &lt;iBook3&gt;:
<STRONG>

People,
The casing *has* been redesigned. There *will* be a 14" iBook. And it should be at the same price point as the existing 12" iBook. Deal with it. It's out in the field now - so it's no big secret (especially to the likes of O'grady, etc.) No, I have not hugged one with my bare hands, nor do I know when they'll release it. Though they should announce it sometime in July. This much I do know.

It's cheaper for Apple to make a huge 14" LCD order (for iMacs and iBooks) than mix it up with 12" and 14" LCD's.
</STRONG>
Yeah, sure... they will even drop the 15" and 17" displays and sell the 22" cinema display for the price of the 17". Oh, yes, no more iMacs, the G4s will go for the same price (including the cinema display, of course). Why didn't Apple come up with this wonderful strategy years ago? They will make a fortune!

<uhm Apploe said no?>
Jun 14, 2001, 07:40 PM

<STRONG>

People,

Now, before you kids get too upset... remember when they first released the PowerBook G3?... and how many rapid iterations there were of the product before they somewhat standarized with specs with the Lombards and then the Pismo's?

This is life. There will always be something newer and better coming out. The current 12" iBook is a killer product. It will still be when the 14"s come out.</STRONG>
Correct me if i am wrong here but didn't Apple officially deny this rumor? So they lied which would set a precedent even though the changes don't or this is not an iBook at all.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 08:37 PM

<STRONG>

People,
</STRONG>
Yeah... It's true. And the new iBook will have a G6 processor at 30000mhz with 2 billion megs of RAM and a 32 terriquad drive. The laptop will only be a 1" cube, since when it closes, it folds into the 4th dimention.

And the best feature... when it becomes outdated, you can break it down at the molecular level and reassemble it as a new one.

I can't wait... and it'll sell for only 90 million dollars (or you can trade your slightly used Jet)

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2001, 08:44 PM

Gimme a break. No way. Not gonna happen. Please.

The form factor of the chiclet is getting as much positive press as its feature list. Maybe more. Its not getting bigger anytime soon.

If Apple really did order a boat load of 14" LCD, they can only be for iMac2. The evidence for LCD iMac2 is hugely compelling and these displays MUST be for that.

If you really want to dream, they *might* be for a new Apple internet Appliance, but 14" LCD would be WAY out of the sub $500 space for such a product.

Repeat the mantra, iMac2--LCD--Jobs_makes_too_much_money--Microsoft_is_evil
It's wise to know who wrote the music to which we dance.

Andrew Boucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2001, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by &lt;uhm Apploe said no?&gt;:
<STRONG>

Correct me if i am wrong here but didn't Apple officially deny this rumor? So they lied which would set a precedent even though the changes don't or this is not an iBook at all.</STRONG>
If anyone has a source of Apple denying this story(and not just saying, "We do not comment on future product releases"), I would like to know it. Note that I say "story", not "rumor". Again this appeared on Bloomberg, which is the most reputable source for financial news. The Bloomberg reporter stands by his story.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2001, 08:39 AM

<STRONG>

If anyone has a source of Apple denying this story(and not just saying, "We do not comment on future product releases"), I would like to know it. Note that I say "story", not "rumor". Again this appeared on Bloomberg, which is the most reputable source for financial news. The Bloomberg reporter stands by his story.</STRONG>
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=2950

Andrew Boucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2001, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
<STRONG>
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=2950</STRONG>
OK thanks ! I can agree with this, it could be about a G4 model.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 16, 2001, 09:53 AM

I think it was a Dell plot to cause people to delay buying iBooks so that Apple's stock price will drop.

GeneShifter
Jun 16, 2001, 02:01 PM

I think there's one thing missing from these discussions: the fact that G4 cubes are starting to dwindle from the supple lines. MacNN has a story about this, in fact. I agree that a new iMac model is in store, but a new cube is also on the horizon based on the supply numbers.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 02:20 PM

OMG do people even think before they post? Yes, Apple is going to release another new iBook in July. Of course.

GeneShifter - I think Apple disbanded the Cube development team, so unless its just a simple spec update I wouldnt expect anything huge.

<iBook3>
Jun 16, 2001, 06:54 PM

<STRONG>

If anyone has a source of Apple denying this story(and not just saying, "We do not comment on future product releases"), I would like to know it. Note that I say "story", not "rumor". Again this appeared on Bloomberg, which is the most reputable source for financial news. The Bloomberg reporter stands by his story.</STRONG>
Yes, Apple will *always* officially deny or not comment on future product releases. We can't blame them for that.

Just for the record, I was the first one to deny O'Grady's leak of a new 14" *Book. It just didn't make sense to me, and I wrote it off as just a mad rumour. Well, things chage. Mr. O'Grady got one thing wrong though - he's calling the thing a "son of Pismo" (stupid name) and says it'll be a PowerBook G3. Nope, it'll be a G3... but it'll be an iBook.

I can not deny the evidence. Nor the veracity of my sources (which are not, by the way, Bloomberg or any other publication, on-line or otherwise).

Unless Apple is planting decoy's to throw us off the scent, then a 14" iBook *does* exist. The only question is, *when*? That, we just don't know.

Another thing, just because I know about this news, it *doesn't* imply that I'm suggesting there will be million giga-hertz G5's bundled with free UFO's coming up next quarter. That would just be crazy.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 07:14 PM

Man, I really, really hope that a mid-range laptop doesn't come out. For one, I just talked a friend of mine into buying an iBook (of which he's still waiting for shipment), and two, it will only add confusion to the very streamlined mix they already have.

Now colors would be very interesting for a new ibook -- however -- I'll stick with white...thank you.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 07:43 PM

<STRONG>

Yes, Apple will *always* officially deny or not comment on future product releases. We can't blame them for that.

Just for the record, I was the first one to deny O'Grady's leak of a new 14" *Book. It just didn't make sense to me, and I wrote it off as just a mad rumour. Well, things chage. Mr. O'Grady got one thing wrong though - he's calling the thing a "son of Pismo" (stupid name) and says it'll be a PowerBook G3. Nope, it'll be a G3... but it'll be an iBook.

I can not deny the evidence. Nor the veracity of my sources (which are not, by the way, Bloomberg or any other publication, on-line or otherwise).

Unless Apple is planting decoy's to throw us off the scent, then a 14" iBook *does* exist. The only question is, *when*? That, we just don't know.

Another thing, just because I know about this news, it *doesn't* imply that I'm suggesting there will be million giga-hertz G5's bundled with free UFO's coming up next quarter. That would just be crazy.</STRONG>
Well, umm.. Apple *DID* comment on this iBook rumor and said that they were not releasing another iBook at Macworld. Look at the posts above and see what they say.

Should you have evidence of 14" iBook, then it would most likely either be either the rumored "link" between the iBook and Powerbook, or maybe something to do with a new iMac.

Again, Apple has just released a laptop that they cannot keep up with demand. Just how stupid do you think Apple is? They would get no new sales from another model, and hardly get any return on their investment on the current model. (when the sales of the old iBook tapered off right after they released the 366 SE version, they still waited another YEAR to completely revise the iBook)

Even if by some slight chance Apple had designed another iBook for a July release, they would delay its launch until the sales of the iBook died. Apple has no need to release a new product just to release a new product. They already have two of the best selling laptop families on the planet.

The current iBook has gotten great press and really is an amazing product. I just hope that no one is reading this thread and deciding not to buy based on a stupid rumor that has no real evidence.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 18, 2001, 10:15 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 21, 2004 at 01:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules