Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > why left side ports?

why left side ports?
skutsch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 02:31 AM

Since most of the world is righty, why did Apple put the ports on the left? For people plugging in mice (or sickos like myself who plug in giant trackballs), it could be annoying to wrap the cord around the back. Or would be annoying if I wasn't a righty who used his left hand for mousing. But still, why did Apple favor lefties? Is Job's left-handed? Is it a political statement?

carl

Circa
Senior User
Jun 17, 2001, 03:27 AM

I know why,

The reason is simply because the majority of peole are right handed. And if you had a whole bunch of cords on your right you would have your mouse there as well and it could get really crowded. Make sense now? It may offer a bit of convenience, but in when your actually using your comp just imagine all of these courds next to where your mouse is.
Circa

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 04:06 AM

Circa's right. Just imagine having a CD burner, external hard drive, phone cord, ethernet cable, headphones, Palm Hotsync cradle, and DV camera all where your mouse is on the desk. Not too comfy. This is the pain that lefties must deal with, but that's their own fault for being, well, not quite right

<BerberCarpet>
Jun 17, 2001, 07:20 PM

I happen to be left handed, and I use the machine, on my desk, right next to my workstation all day long for email and checking websites as I build and upload them from the other machine.

In any case, I use a mouse while at my desk, and I wondered the same thing: why on the left? It works very well for me, but i've wrapped that mouse around to the right to see if the other 90% even has a chance, and no... there's not enough cord on the mouse to use it on the right side of the iBook.

So, I'm way glad they're on the left.

NateMarg
Jun 17, 2001, 07:43 PM

well there is more than enough cord on any mouse except apple's. All other usb mice have very long cords because they need to reach the cpu on windoze machines.
QS 733 - 640MB 40GB
iMac DV 400 - 384MB 40GB
iBook SE 366 - 320MB 6GB

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2001, 10:56 PM

Dang! I was wondering the same thing. I'm a righty, and I figured that the Apple Pro mouse wouldn't reach along the back. I guess I could use a USB extension cord. I understand the reasoning behind the "peripherals on the 'other' side, though."

Circa
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 12:47 AM

yep [/LIST]
Circa

Circa
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 12:48 AM

yep
Circa

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2001, 01:08 AM

I think there should be a single USB port on the right side in the back for mice... everything else should plug in where it normally does.

Mac Guru

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2001, 03:35 AM

It is harder to take out a CD with your left hand. Ports aren't that hard to do.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2001, 05:00 AM

I think it's the CD thing too. Apple has always put the CD on the right. I like it better when it goes out the right side (as opposed to the front on the ti) and it's easy to take off using my right hand. I also am not allowed to use a mouse (my mom was so pissed at me when I forced her into buying me a Pismo (as oppsed to an iBook) for college that she wouldn't buy me a mouse. I've now become very keyboard savy and have gotten pretty good at avoiding the trackpad (except now in OS X none of my little utilities work!!!!! I really really need programmable function keys and a lot more short cuts. It looks to me that Quickeys will be the first of it's kind out for X and I think I'll have no other choice but to buy it even though I don't use it now.)

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2001, 05:25 AM

mac guru - well sure thats a great idea for when the screen isnt open

Heman
Jun 18, 2001, 07:55 AM

I prefer them at the back except the audio.
Imagine when you have all firewire, USB and RJ45 cable plugged in, you will see what a messy thing it is, be it on the left or right. :o
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules