Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Foot fell off!

Foot fell off!
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2001, 01:56 PM

I lost one of the "feet" on my new iBook. I was not too concerned until the machine would not start up. I had to remove the battery and reintall it.. Then all was fine. I am guessing that since it sat on my desk somehow the connection got lost. I called Apple and have been waiting for a month for replacement feet. They are on backorder. Does anyone know where I can buy any myself?

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2001, 06:28 PM

yeah...I hear they are free at all Fry's and CompUSA stores....they just keep them on the bottom of their display models
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

<Oxygon>
Jun 28, 2001, 07:36 PM

When I got my ibook2 Ilost my left front foot and it really ticked me off after a look at how Easily they fell off, So after a thorough search thru my office I found the little bugger and Siliconed them all in (except battery foot... which is not a removable foot) back into the sockets.

Glue can be messy... Sticky Silicone has worked OK so far, fills in the little phillips shaped cuts in the top of the foot, yet silicone is easily removable for repair (to get to the screws)

Anyway... I would silicone them in after you get your replacements... or you will be ordering them for a long time to come...

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 11:55 PM

This was also a problem with the Lombard and Pismo PowerBooks. I personally have not had a problem with any feet coming off of any model iBook or PowerBook. It is most likely related to heat generated by the processor and then warming up the adhesive enought to come loose. I use a CoolPad with all PowerBooks and iBooks. It allows heat to dissipate better and it allows you to rotate the iBook or PowerBook for easy viewing. This might be something to consider as well as using the silicone adhesive.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

amrosario
Jun 29, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
<STRONG>I lost one of the "feet" on my new iBook. </STRONG>
In that case, I'd like to buy you a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

(Sorry.... couldn't resist)
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2001, 03:38 PM

Oh NO! Lost another one today!

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 07:16 PM

Wait, wait... Are you guys saying that feet on the new 500 MHz iBooks are falling off? I thought these redesigned feet with metal grommets weren't supposed to fall off !?!
Apple user since 1987

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 09:05 PM

yea the feet on apple laptops always fall off. after a couple feet fell off my lombard i took em all off cause the wobble was bothersome. later I found some better feet (i forget where, maybe they came with a cdp I bought) and put them on, worked nice too. only by that time I had gotten used to the ability to slide the laptop around my desk and picking it up to place it back down 1 foot away was a pain in the ass. so I took her feet off once again and now she roams the desk freely.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2001, 10:51 PM

Yeah...I lost a foot as well...a mere 2 days after getting my iBook. They are super-easy to pull off! I would take all of them off just to make it even, but the one on the battery isn't going anywhere...haha.

Apple is waiting on replacement feet? Meaning that if you call them they will send you a replacement?

I think my iBook is going to get to know Bond-dini
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2001, 12:02 AM

Me iBook came out the box with a foot thing missing, been waiting 2 weeks now Delay in foot production

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
<STRONG>Me iBook came out the box with a foot thing missing, been waiting 2 weeks now Delay in foot production </STRONG>
Nah, it's more like finger up their ass production. They claimed that they couldn't send me a replacement cover screw because, "...that individual part doesn't not exist..." So I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting a little foot.
Apple user since 1987

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2001, 12:15 AM

So I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting a little foot.
I dunno, my Amex card says I will

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Bugs Bunny ]

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2001, 04:16 PM

Damn...
The foot on the battery fell off after just a few hours use!
Is Apple usually reasonable about sending out replacements?
I don't want to have to send it in just for a loose tootsie

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 01:50 PM

My new feet arrived yesterday from Apple. They sent all four. I have also noticed a nicer tone with tech support lately.

tc2riggs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2001, 06:02 PM

I too noticed one little foot missing just days after my iBook arrived. It could have been shipped that way, but I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules