Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Im about to get a TI!!!??

Im about to get a TI!!!??
G4 punk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 03:40 PM

Im about to go down to Comp USA and get myself a Ti 500, and was wondering, on a scale of 1-10, how strongly would you recomend that I get the extended warenty. I would be getting it through Comp USA, I heard that it is better then apple care. Thanks!!!
A G4, what coulf be
better!!??

bighead
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 03:49 PM

considering that compusa sends all of its applecare work to apple now (i think they were an authorized service center at one point), i would say that buying applecare through outpost.com (i got it for $200) is your best bet. i did a demo days at compusa, and i don't trust anyone working at that damn establishment. you shouldn't either.

oh yeah, and the tibook at the compusa i was at had a visibly white border. just to stir things up.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

pismoElegance
Apr 9, 2001, 04:33 PM

let's not even go there. i still don't know how that white border made it to production....then again there was that infernal hockey puck mouse awhile back.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 04:43 PM

Whatever you do get either insurance, applecare, or compusa extended warranty. It depends how technical savve you are. I personally only get insurance on it. But I recommend Applecare services. Although compusa is basically reselling the applecare, they do offer loaner machines and a few other features for the same price. Take your pick, but as LOTS of questions and everything you would want to know, take a tape recorder!!!!! it works.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 04:49 PM

Why don't you buy your Ti from Outpost and save yourself $200+ on tax?
~Peace~

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2001, 04:53 PM

Bodhi and "bighead" are right. You can get the TiBook tomorrow if you order from Outpost.com, and they often include extra stuff such as carrying bags and more RAM when you order a computer from them. I believe you get a slinky when you order from them, too. Wait, that was Small Dog, right?

MacMall is better than most magazine retailers. Check them out, too.

splyn
Apr 9, 2001, 05:45 PM

compUSA = 2 years from purchase date

appleCare = 2 years from when it is activated (must be activated before original warranty expires. original warrany = 1 year)

applecare + original = 3 years.

------------------
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here

Gaijin
Apr 9, 2001, 07:06 PM

I agree... I've heard the Comp USA warranty is a rip off. Also, Mac Connection has some really great bundle deals right now...a whole bunch of free stuff you can choose from if you buy a Ti.

------------------
Stand tall and shake the heavens!
Stand tall and shake the heavens!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Gaijin:
I agree... I've heard the Comp USA warranty is a rip off. Also, Mac Connection has some really great bundle deals right now...a whole bunch of free stuff you can choose from if you buy a Ti.

The local CompUsa offers "Total repair or replacement" included damaged screens. I did take a tape recorder and set it up for the "in store Apple Rep to see" includes "accidental damage including screen replacement!"

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage or cracked screens.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 07:41 PM

"accidental damage"???!?!?!?!?

does this mean if i drop my soon to be purchaced ti off my desk and it breaks they will fix it/give me a new one?

one thing that i like about the comp usa warrenty is that they will replace the book if they cant fix it. like if in two years there is a g5 for $3500 and you get the titG4 500 you can get the titG5 500 instead.

i am very interested about this accidental damage thing though, it may be worth paying the insane amount of money for tax and not getting 256mb ram free.

G4 punk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 09:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, and your right it would be a better deal to get it from outpost or maconnection, but Im in high school, and am paying for it with the money that I am going to earn with my summer job, which will give me plenty. Being a lifeguard and a swim coach really pays. Anyways, so Comp USA has a 6 moths no payments, no interest thing going on, so my parents can put it on the credit card, and I will pay them back throughout the summer. That 256mb ram upgrade would be nice, but with ram as cheap as it is I figure that I could always upgrade. Thanks again
A G4, what coulf be
better!!??

splyn
Apr 10, 2001, 06:47 AM

read the compUSA warranty CAFREFULLY. it states that accidental screen damage is NOT covered. however, ive heard reports that compUSA replpaces them anyway.

drop at own risk.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules