Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wich case would you choose for the TiBook?

Wich case would you choose for the TiBook? (Page 5)
Gee4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 10:19 PM

Just wanted to let you all know I have the Chrome Bag and the TiBook fits wonderfully, and it converts into a backpac or can be used with the shoulder strap like a normal bag, it's great and the silver color goes well with the tibook

Gee4

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2001, 10:45 AM

This is from Japan, and so you might have a hard time getting one unless you can convince MacsOnly to import them, but I think they are very cool. (Later addition: I checked MacsOnly's website, and they do mention that they will be getting what seems to be this case (no picture) sometime late this month. You can ask to be put on a notification list when they arrive.

This is like the powerbook G3 bag that has been available through MacsOnly for a while. There is a clear plastic window to show the Apple Logo on the TiBook. I wouldn't use this bag by itself in high crime areas... But it should also work pretty well as a sleeve that you will carry in another bag.

It has an opening in the back so you can access the ports without removing the machine from the bag.

And apparently you can use it while in the bag.

Here is a link to a Japanese page about it:
http://fm.powerlab.co.jp/bag/FMPro?-...2726923&-find=

It's about $55 from the store I saw it at (www.mobile-bag.com), although it would be more if it had to be imported, of course.

[This message has been edited by Icruise (edited 05-24-2001).]

Gee4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 11:38 AM

Just wanted to let you all know I have the Chrome Bag and the TiBook fits wonderfully, and it converts into a backpac or can be used with the shoulder strap like a normal bag, it's great and the silver color goes well with the tibook

Gee4

supernature
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 03:12 AM

I just ordered this bag. It hasn't arrived yet.
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=300

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2001, 10:55 AM

Just got my Vanguard Slim Laptop Aluminum case from Sharper Image. Oh, it's beautiful. It's pictured above in other posts so I won't use up the space.

It looks great but not too practical. Can't get anything else in there except for a CD or two and Business cards. I'll use it at a digital portfolio case if I'm on an interview. I wanna put those white Apple stickers that come with the Towers but they're kinda big. I want a sticker the size of the Apple logo on the Ti.

Anyone know of a nice compact sleeve or mini-case for the Power Adapter and its cord?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Cal63434
May 27, 2001, 01:06 AM

Italian Titanium Cases I hear that Orbino, makers of beautiful, form-fitting Italian Palmcases like the one pictured here are at work on a line of form-fitting TiBook and new iBook cases. The Orbino artisans are the ones responsible for many of the beautiful leather interiors in Italian sportscars of the likes of Ferrari, Bugatti, and Maserati. Should be interesting to see what they come up with!

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by elbow:
What about the STM bag that MacNN reviewed? http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/stmsport/stmsport.phtml that's what I'm getting for my Ti
Hey, what's up with this bag, it looks GREAT! I need something that can carry around not only my PowerBook, but also some other toys as well (Cd wallet, books, discman, etc). I have the Timberland Crag now, and I like it (and the removable 3-tier sleeve) but it's a bit bulky, and I'd rather have something that's always a backpack, not a messenger bag that can be converted. This one looks good, but does anyone have any positive/negative feedback on it? Thanks...

edit: I found the review post: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum7/HTML/000592.html and it seems to have some positive feedback on it... any other suggestions?

------------------
[email protected] | 3932806 | Avenirx http://www.avenirex.com

[This message has been edited by Avenir (edited 05-27-2001).]

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Singrfreak
May 28, 2001, 11:27 AM

OK, so I'm thinking of buying the STM bag...but my one question is this: It looks as though the pocket would fit my Ti while in a Waterfield Sleeve..but my eyeballing has never been very good. Do you guys think it would fit in there? That would provide good protection, in addition to all the books and crap I'd need to haul around. Thanks!

TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 06:26 PM

I also have the Madsonline neoprene sleeve bag, and it makes for a very snug (i.e., secure) fit in the laptop pocket. Nice combo.
someone in the post on the review of the STM backpack posted this, so it might fit with the waterfield sleeve,though I'm not sure. In any case, I am really thinking about getting this bag now as well, if I can scrape up the cash...

here's some images of the STM LapBack:

------------------
[email protected] | 3932806 | Avenirx http://www.avenirex.com

[This message has been edited by Avenir (edited 05-28-2001).]

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 06:48 PM

Forget cases! What's the best sleeve.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 06:51 PM

I like your style Matsu

------------------
[email protected] | 3932806 | Avenirx
http://www.avenirex.com

bcwinters
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 02:18 PM

Hey folks, I posted about this to a Ti mailing list the other day but I forgot to mention it here... Pantone (the color matching company) has a line of cool new messenger-type bags now that are EXACTLY the right size for a Ti. They're very tailored and sharp although it's hard to tell from the pics I took. I picked one up at a store called Flight 001 on Greenwich Ave in NYC, along with "The Pouch" for added protection ( www.thepouch.com -- ugly website but really quite a nice, simple Neoprene sleeve, and in perfect Ti size). Anyway, I couldn't find anything about the Pantone bag online so I took some cruddy pictures of it and posted them here. Take a look!

[This message has been edited by bcwinters (edited 05-29-2001).]

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 05:27 PM

I ordered my STM laptop last night (see prev. posts above). Thanks to my location, I had to have it air-mailed ($20), but the benefit is that it will be here TOMORROW!!! So, I'll have my review of the STM Sport LapBack up and running my mid tomorrow, I hope...

------------------

sleeves
May 29, 2001, 10:43 PM

Gee4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 12:15 AM

well the pantone bag can be found at:

pantoneuniverse.com

Gee4

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 08:25 PM

I got it!!!! My STM backpack came in today, and it's so cool. I don't have time to post a thorough review of it right now (I will in a bit) but I can definitely say it's the nicest laptop case/backpack I've seen at any price. If you want something besides a hardshell/briefcase, get this...

------------------

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 09:17 PM

Just putting this in here again, because the Gap is clearing these out (if you can find them) for $9.99. The sleeve that comes inside this bag alone is worth $9.99. It is a very high quality bag, light weight, and the silver bag very much compliments the TiBook (I know because several people asked me if it my TiBook came with the bag from Apple !! I've grabbed a bunch of them from Gap Stores around Boston (they'll make awesome gifts for my powerbook toting family (and even those that don't have laptops, can use them for school, etc).
regards,
dave

[This message has been edited by ddiokno (edited 05-30-2001).]

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 02:28 AM

Alright, as a follow-up post, I got my STM LapBack and it's wonderful.
-the drawstring not closing is just a minor problem, the velcro strap closes perfectly over the top of it, so the PB isn't going anywhere.
-There are soooo many different pockets!!!! and tons of room on the inside that it's amazing, it almost has as much room as my Crag
-The shoulder straps and padding on the back of the pack not only protect the Ti (which hangs in an internal extra-padded sleeve that will never touch the ground when set down) but make the back so unbelievably comfortable, I almost don't want to put it down
-the waist strap is a nice touch (means I can use this bag when I go biking and hiking, sans-PBG4, of course, though it'd be safe if I did bring it)
-Laptop Travel was a joy to work with, I had my bag in less than 48 hours. It's the only place to get these bags, so I can't say anything about pricing, but it was reasonably at about $90 US
-the internal sleeve is probably enough protection for the Ti, but if you don't close the draw string, I'm sure you could fit a madsonline sleeve in there or something

In my opinion, this bag provides more protection for my Ti than my Timberland Crag or my old Targus NotePac. If you need something stronger than this (and better built) I think you'll need to get a hard-shell case, because this thing is very, very cool. I'm gushing, I know, but I am so happy with my $100 well-spent. If you want a backpack for your laptop and all your other stuff, this is the one to get.

------------------

pmark
Jun 1, 2001, 09:27 AM

A couple of questions for anyone w/ a Timbuk2 computer bag (esp Mogwai): 1. how snugly does the the Ti (in the additional sleeve) fit in the bag? 2. any problems with moisture getting in the bag given that the main compartment doesn't zip closed, or is the flap good enough?

I'm weighing this vs. the Waterfield med. Cargo plus sleeve. Like the style of the Timbuk2 but don't want to sacrifice protection. Any thoughts welcome.

*incredibly helpful thread*, thanks everyone!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 04:12 AM

Bringing to the top...

dave

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 09:11 AM

I just rec'd my SKYRUNNER from Outpost http://shop1.outpost.com/product/52474 Thanks t_hah!

It is actually a little smaller than it appears online, but I like it nonetheless. I still can't seem to find a nice LARGE leather briefcase like bag. Anything new out there?

meetingpeopleiseasy
Jun 8, 2001, 11:46 AM

THE BEST BAG FOR THE TIBOOK AWARD!

Thanks to Timbuk2(messenger bags) http://www.timbuk2.com my search for a bag for my new Tibook is over. Run don't walk to the site and order a computer commuter bag with the g4 sleeve. I got my yesterday. I custom built it(colors, accessories,,,,) I am in love.
http://www.december9.net

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 02:29 PM

You know, I think that I could get away w/ the Timbuk2 Bag in my office if I go w/ all black. Did you get the "waxed" or "ballistic" bag? Again, I need it for office use. It's hard to tell what's what on the screen. I'm considering "waxed" for the bag and "ballistic" for the sleeve. But, I already have a WaterField Sleeve. Does anyone know how the Timbuck2 sleeve compares? Does the TB2 Sleve fit the TB2 Bag better than the Waterfield Sleve?

dsheetz
Jun 8, 2001, 06:42 PM

Yup, just got my timbuk2 bag in the mail. I'm almost more excited about the bag than about the TiBook (used my roommate's for a month before I got mine, so that difffused a bit of the excitement).

Seriously, this bag rules. I bought a the TiBook sleeve as well. so sweet. I can put my canon scanner (thinner than the tibook), my qps que drive, my coolpix camera, cd's, cords, cell phone, and I still have room for papers and books in the back pouch.

I got the el guapo model in ballistic, with the deluxe pouch inside, the back pouch for papers, etc, the water bottle holder, and the strap pad.

This thing rules. Worth every penny of 180 bucks.

dsheetz
Jun 8, 2001, 06:46 PM

Yup, just got my timbuk2 bag in the mail. I'm almost more excited about the bag than about the TiBook (used my roommate's for a month before I got mine, so that difffused a bit of the excitement).

Seriously, this bag rules. I bought a the TiBook sleeve as well. so sweet. I can put my canon scanner (thinner than the tibook), my qps que drive, my coolpix camera, cd's, cords, cell phone, and I still have room for papers and books in the back pouch.

I got the el guapo model in ballistic, with the deluxe pouch inside, the back pouch for papers, etc, the water bottle holder, and the strap pad.

This thing rules. Worth every penny of 180 bucks.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2001, 11:51 PM

meeting people . . .
What commuter bag did you get??? Btw, you are right. These bags are great! Just building them is fun! I bought the Sweet Pea at a retail store today, but I'm debating getting the Mogwai instead (or) as well. The only thing I didn't like about the Mogwai is that it's width causes my Ti to not fit snug - even with a sleeve on (about a two inch space on each side). Is there any way to stabilize it? My Ti fits very snug in the Sweet Pea, but then I can't put alot of files in there with it.

dsheetz . . .
do you use this in an office? I saw a couple of the mesenger bags in black and I think that I could still use them as an office bag. The reflectors may have to come off though, but I think that the sizes of the messenger bags are a little more in proportion with what I need. It seems like the small commuter is a little too small, and the medium commuter is a little too big. Any thoughts?

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: TonyRado ]

Circa
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 11:57 PM

bumping up.[/LIST]
Circa

<zorg128>
Jun 18, 2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Circa:
<STRONG>bumping up.[/LIST]</STRONG>
Waazuup!

<font face = "courier">Bringing on top!</font>

<pmark>
Jun 19, 2001, 03:50 PM

Recently received my Timbuk2 Mogwai. I'm using it together with a Tom Bihn G4 Lapdog, based on comments here about the benefits of a rigid sleeve (the Lapdog is hi-density foam PLUS corrugated plastic). The fit is very good -- the Lapdog fits into the Mogwai with ZERO clearance at the top and about an inch or a little less on each side -- but I don't find there's a lot of movement when I carry the bag. An extra strip of foam could easily solve any residual shifting.

FYI, I asked the Timbuk2 people about watertightness; I was esp. concerned about the top corners of the bag (since there's a flap but no inner zipper or closure). They said that their actual messenger bags have a slightly more watertight flap design, but from what I can see the commuter bag should be OK too. It's also more structured.

The bag is comfortable to carry, good-looking (I got black-silver-black ballistic) & looks really well-built. Only worry is that the handle (NOT the shoulder strap) seems a little flimsy... but I carry it mostly as a shoulder bag not a briefcase so that should be OK.

Thanks again to all.

TibookX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 12:46 AM

Ok everyone I have a question. I need to decide between a Zero Halliburton or a Boblbee Megalopolis or People's Delite. I need to know which one is going to work the best for a college student who needs to be able to tote around his laptop. Also, which one would be safer for the titanium itself? thanx.
Tibookx
(TI 550/256/30)

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by TibookX:
<STRONG>Ok everyone I have a question. I need to decide between a Zero Halliburton or a Boblbee Megalopolis or People's Delite. I need to know which one is going to work the best for a college student who needs to be able to tote around his laptop. Also, which one would be safer for the titanium itself? thanx. </STRONG>
I'm a college student, I have a Ti, I have an STM LapBack, and I say get the STM bag!!! It's the best, but if that isn't enough, I've heard most people say that the Boblbee is the most protective for the Ti, though I personally hate the way it looks.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 11:43 AM

What about this one.....
http://www.nubaggage.com/main.html

...only $399 : ) I've been waiting for this but it's a tad too expensive....too bad . Very nice.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: pete ]

<sebastian>
Jul 10, 2001, 05:04 PM

the best tibag� at a great price yes i'm shamelessly plugging my new tibag�! it's specifically designed for the powerbook g4 and will also work great for the ibook. come one, come all and check it out at www.tibag.com

bobette
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 05:27 PM

Voyager Bag by Tilley Endurables. Great for all you field photographers and �let's get physical� 'puter geeks out there in need of a sturdy, discreet and versatile portable bag.
http://tilley.com/index2.asp?MT=A

Hoohaa.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by dsheetz:
<STRONG>I got the el guapo model in ballistic, with the deluxe pouch inside, the back pouch for papers, etc, the water bottle holder, and the strap pad.
</STRONG>
Is the water bottle holder big enough for a standard 32oz Nalgene bottle? I emailed them last week and they never responded.

amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 07:19 PM

One more... if I were to get a Boblbee should I still purchase some sort of sleeve?

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 07:51 PM

I was gonna order a boblbee untill i saw the fast and furious. you get to see the silver ones for a few seconds and they look stupid as ****. maybe its better in real life/different colors?

anyone know of stores in the nyc area that carry boblbees, specificaly the peoples delight? id like to check em out in person

jffdx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 04:27 PM

Don't know if it's the "best " bag for a TiBook but... just ordered a 2.5 inch-deep Zero-Haliburton that seems to be the right proportions for $99 plus $10 shipping from Sierra Trading Post (they say it's a $260 case.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xt_...&pg=p&bn=81649

they had 4 different models (one looked like a a sweet iBook case with molded dividers)... all said limited quantities so I jumped on it (after checking the return policy).

Forum Links
Forum Rules