Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VST CDRW w/G4 Powerbook

VST CDRW w/G4 Powerbook
iBook2
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2001, 01:22 PM

Isn't this a joke
It's bad enough you have to get it seperate, somewhat like a mail-in-rebate. Then they tell you you won't get the external drive for 8-10 weeks!
When is Apple going to learn.
I bet you if there was a poll on what is wrong with Apple, people would definately say SHIP TIMES

PowerBookDude
Jun 16, 2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by iBook2:
<STRONG>Then they tell you you won't get the external drive for 8-10 weeks! </STRONG>
IT IS FREE! Don't complain.

If you rather not wait that long go buy one or a different model.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 08:47 AM

Just clearing out the pipeline for MWNY, when they announce the new model with 16 MB VRAM, optional DVD/CD-RW combo drive, and better screen resolution. And maybe annodized color finishes.

Stingray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 10:21 AM

Sorry Rambo, it doesn't seem likely at the moment with the promotion expiring on Septmeber 3rd. They wouldn't announce them (at least not with combo drive) at MWNY.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 01:06 PM

True, the September date makes MWNY look like an odd time to make the announcement, but this could be cammoflage for the announcement of the upgrade. We all know how Steve likes to drop bombs at shows!

What about the possibilit of selling the current rev. A Ti Books while also selling the rev. B that I expect? Perhaps the updated Ti's will be announced but won't ship until after September. Buy the current model now, or wait for the upgrade. Price could play a part as well.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 02:12 PM

&gt;&gt;Perhaps the updated Ti's will be announced but won't ship until after September.

Not gonna happen. Apple likes to get rid of old products before the new ones ship. All this would do is stop people from buying the old PBs. Unless maybe they did some sort of serious price reduction on the old PBs... But that would be pointless for them.

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: ion ]

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2001, 06:06 PM

What do we have on the 3rd Sept? Seybold? Or is this suppose to last until Paris?

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by ion:
<STRONG>&gt;&gt;Perhaps the updated Ti's will be announced but won't ship until after September.

Not gonna happen. Apple likes to get rid of old products before the new ones ship. All this would do is stop people from buying the old PBs. Unless maybe they did some sort of serious price reduction on the old PBs... But that would be pointless for them.

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: ion ]</STRONG>
What?

Do you think all the version "A" Ti Power Books are all going to be sold before the version "B" is introduced. Not likely and it has never happened. You can still buy brand new Pismo Powerbooks and the Ti Power Book has been selling since January.

The VST promo is there so as not to piss anyone off who purchases a Ti Power Book between now and MWNY...plain and simple.

There will be a revised PB at MWNY. More RAM, Larger HD, Nvida Chip, built in CDRW. No speed bump because MOTO can not deliver.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

hoopla2000
Jun 16, 2001, 09:30 PM

It's a good move for Apple to throw in the CD RW with Ti book not to piss some buyers off, but what I'm concernined about is "is it really doable at this point for Apple to put DVD and CDRW together using a slot-loading drive.

Slot-loading iMacs,Cubes have only either one(DVD or CDRW). Given that slot-loading is not quite new to Apple, I think it's only natural that highend G4 DTs have come with slot-loading drives already... but not because they couldn't use it to accomodate both DVD and CDRW. My point is if it's not possible to do it on a big DT with more than enuff space to squeeze tons of stuffs, how could they ever pull it off on a machine like Ti book? If they could, i suppose they couldve done it way before on iMac,Cube and we must've seen slot-loadin G4 DT too.

I wonder if Apple will really come out with a rev B Ti equipped with "BOTH" DVD and CDRW... not just either one. I'm greedy and i'd like both if I could ever afford to buy one.

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by hoopla2000:
<STRONG>
I wonder if Apple will really come out with a rev B Ti equipped with "BOTH" DVD and CDRW... not just either one. I'm greedy and i'd like both if I could ever afford to buy one.</STRONG>
It will be a BTO option. Either a built in CD,DVD, or CDRW. Just like the new iBook.

hoopla2000
Jun 17, 2001, 12:16 AM

Hi Skyman,

So we can't expect a Ti with both CDRW + DVD...? Sounds kind of discouraging... Or probably that's what most everyone in this forum had in mind... I reall was too greedy, I guess.

How soon do you predict will Apple able to put them both in without fattening up the Ti? I hope that's not beyond their capability...

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by hoopla2000:
[QB]Hi Skyman,

So we can't expect a Ti with both CDRW + DVD...? Sounds kind of discouraging... Or probably that's what most everyone in this forum had in mind... I reall was too greedy, I guess.
QB]
Opps..I left that one out.

Apple has to include these BTO options for the revised Ti Power Book at MWNY. The iBook has these options so Apple will have to include these options with the Ti Power Book at MWNY.

BTO: CD, DVD, CDRW, CDRW +DVD

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2001, 03:39 AM

Regarding the debate over fitting a combo DVD/CD-R into the Ti without fattening it up, here's one more variable to consider:

It's a given that Apple will continue make its designs more efficient and squeeze more into less. Could be the case with the rev B Ti. Or couldn't. But I I don't think we should assume that they just can 't do it within the Ti's current frame.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 01:10 PM

The features of the flagship Ti Book simply cannot lag the features of a lesser model. The CD situation will match the iBook's unless it can beat them. I agree it will be tough, given the current push toward slim design, that anything more than the same options as the iBook are only a slim possibility. However, don't overlook Apple's innovative ability and desire to surprise us. We will see iBook-matching CD/DVD options at MWNY, and who knows? Steve could always amaze us....again!

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: rambo47 ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2001, 01:23 PM

I am almost positive that there will be a replacement for the Tibook in July. The current promotion serves two purposes: it brings the Tibook a bit closer to the ibook in terms of features, and serves to help clear out the older models from the retail channel. I don't think Apple is doing this to keep people from getting upset when the new revision comes out -- they have never really cared about this kind of thing. Think of the people who bought old ibooks just before the new one came out.

As others have said, just because it ends Sept 3, it doesn't mean that there won't be anything coming at Macworld. Do you expect them to say that it ends the day of the show? Also, since there will still be older models left after the announcement, this will help to get rid of them, as I mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure there are similar motives behind their current iMac promotions.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2001, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
<STRONG>I am almost positive that there will be a replacement for the Tibook in July. The current promotion serves two purposes: it brings the Tibook a bit closer to the ibook in terms of features, and serves to help clear out the older models from the retail channel. I don't think Apple is doing this to keep people from getting upset when the new revision comes out -- they have never really cared about this kind of thing. Think of the people who bought old ibooks just before the new one came out.

As others have said, just because it ends Sept 3, it doesn't mean that there won't be anything coming at Macworld. Do you expect them to say that it ends the day of the show? Also, since there will still be older models left after the announcement, this will help to get rid of them, as I mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure there are similar motives behind their current iMac promotions.</STRONG>

I wish so but I really doubt it.

<Lertsiri Boonmee>
Jun 18, 2001, 01:59 PM

I just can't wait to see what's in stall for all PowerBook lovers out there. I started to save money for the revision Ti since the announcement of the first Ti! I didn't buy the first edition Ti because I have a G3 500 Firewire, keeping me happy.
But the form factor of the Ti is simply, ooh so good. The Ti justs needs more muscle, to make 2 powerbooks on my desk justifiable.
OK Apple, (Steve) raise the curtains for more muscle!

<waggy>
Jun 20, 2001, 10:02 PM

If you look at the iMac promotions, they both go until July 8--right in time for Macworld... doesn't look good for a MW TiBook revision (though I'm still praying...)

Circa
Senior User
Jun 21, 2001, 01:08 AM

I can promise you there will be "some" changes there has to be, if there isn't than Apple is going to really be behind.
Circa

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2001, 01:22 AM

Personally, I think people are expecting too much from MWNY. Sure, there will be updates, but people want them to almost everything. They want :

iMac
TiBook
OS X
iBook
G4 Towers

... ummm, is there anything else in the Apple product line?

Yeah, some things will be updated, but not everything at one conference.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

wags982
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2001, 01:45 AM

My guess is that the questionable iBook update and the revised iMac will emerge at NECC. I read somewhere (though I'm skeptical) that this is Jobs' first NECC, and if so, he'll want to make it good. That leaves a possibly-reasonable amount of updates for MWNY.

Forum Links
Forum Rules