Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tibook and Hard Drive noise...

Tibook and Hard Drive noise...
Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2001, 04:48 PM

I'm really happy with my Tibook, it's one of the best and more stable mac I've ever used (with my Powermac G4) but for a few days my hard drive (Toshiba 10 Gb) is making a high pitched noise.

It's pretty annoying and I'm wondering if it's normal after a few weeks of use or if it will break soon ???

Do you think I can change it with Apple Care ?

thanx

Lolo from Paris  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2001, 05:00 AM

Oops...There were some problems with the forum yesterday and now i have multiple posts :-(

Can anyone delete them ?

raz303
Jun 16, 2001, 05:16 AM

Nevermind abut the posts, this forum is definitely crippled, at least it looks like there's some life in it
You should be able to have it replaced even without the Apple Care plan, since u're still under warrantee, but how long it'll take in view of Apple crappy service recently, is another story(especially for Europeeans). Sorry to hear about yet another faulty Ti.
A part cela, ca va la vie? Qu'est ce que je donnerai pas pour etre ou tu es maintenant!!!

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: raz303 ]

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: raz303 ]

Lolo from Paris  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2001, 12:16 PM

I'll see with my Apple Care center in order to change the HD but I'm not sure the HD is broken...

Do the laptop hard drives make this high pitched noise after a "hard use" or does it sound like it's broken ?

I'm not a lucky guy, every mac I own had a problem and needed a repair (my G4 had a bad Western Digital HD, my iMac has strange bugs...Well only my old ibook never had problems except a dead pixel).

Do you think guys that Apple hardware is less and less robust as it used to be during the beige period ???

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 02:07 PM

>>Do you think guys that Apple hardware is less and less robust as it used to be during the beige period ???

None of the problems you listed are directly related to Apple hardware.

raz303
Jun 16, 2001, 02:25 PM

Clicking metalic noises = normal to me
By high piched noise, do u mean like it whistles. I'm not so sure u should have those. Is it loud enough, so that u could make Apple tech people listen to it over the phone?
Aciaobonsoir.

matthewmodern
Jun 16, 2001, 02:31 PM

Apple replaced my 30GB HD due to loud noise (which suddenly developed after about 2-3 months), and they gave me the impression that it was a very common problem.

BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR DATA before you send it in though, because they just rip it out and slap in a new one.

-m

shawn_hsiao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 04:33 PM

I am also having the problem. The 10GB disk in my TiPB starts developing whistles after two months (bought in March, found it with the noise in late May)

From what matthewmodern said, I think even Apple will replace my disk, I will have to ship my laptop to them. This is not very convenient to me.

Prior to TiPB, I own a Thinkpad. My disk break one time (can not boot), so I called IBM and they sent me a replacement. I install it myself and ship them back the broken one.

Does anyone manage to get Apple send them replacement disk instead?

shawn_hsiao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 04:43 PM

I am also having the problem. The 10GB disk in my TiPB starts developing whistles after two months (bought in March, found it with the noise in late May)

From what matthewmodern said, I think even Apple will replace my disk, I will have to ship my laptop to them. This is not very convenient to me.

Prior to TiPB, I own a Thinkpad. My disk break one time (can not boot), so I called IBM and they sent me a replacement. I install it myself and ship them back the broken one.

Does anyone manage to get Apple send them replacement disk instead?

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2001, 06:10 PM

shawn_hisaio, what kind of internal hd do you have?

sounds exactly like what my brother is telling me what his ti does. he's got a toshiba hd. i got an ibm and it works fine. it's a little louder than the toshiba, though.

shawn_hsiao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2001, 08:16 PM

seb2, Yeah, I have a Toshina one, the one comes with my TiPB 400.

I plan to replace this one with a larger, better one later. The one I am looking forward to is the 48GB IBM Travelstar. But it is too expensive now.

Do you also have a TiPB 400?

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2001, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by shawn_hsiao:
<STRONG>Do you also have a TiPB 400?</STRONG>
yes, i do. 400/384/10 to be exact. but i got an internal ibm hd which is a little louder but doesn't make that high pitched noise.

if i remember correctly, my brother seriously thought about giving it back because of that noise. i'll ask him whether he contacted apple and what they replied.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2001, 04:32 AM

Most of you seem to have the Titanium model, but it is a somewhat common problem that popped up with the previous two G3 PowerBooks. I had my 12g drive replaced by Apple a couple of months back when it got so noisy that I could hear it accross a room. It was an IBM drive and they replaced it with a Toshiba. The noise is much less and doesn't seem to be getting louder, but I think that the thinner profile of the newer PowerBooks, as compared to a 1400 or 3400, allows significantly more noise into the room because there is less computer bulk between the drive and the outside.

shawn_hsiao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 12:41 PM

jeromep, I agreed with you that the disk noise problem across models, even platforms. (My thinkpad used to have even louder disk noise)

That is why I did not try to solve the problem immediately, because I am afraid either the replacement or any other fix will not last too long before the noise come back.

I don't know whether the thickness contribute to the problem. If you listen carefully, you may find that on TiPB, the disk noise is louder on the touch pad side, not the bottom. (Hmm ... should I do some padding on that side to aborb the noise? )

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: shawn_hsiao ]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2001, 06:04 PM

I'm certainly not claiming that I have proof that the construction of a laptop has anything to do with ambient drive noise, but I can't help but wonder why my 1400's internal drive is barely noticeable while myself and all of my friends with late model laptops, regardless of platform, have lots of ambient drive noise.

If you search in the forums for issues about drive noise you will probably find articles from late last in 2000 about bronze keyboard G3s that have drive noise. Frankly, I think that is enough proof that there are manufacturing, engineering or quality problems with recent 2.5 inch format disks.

I don't think people should wait to request a drive swap if they are under warrenty. It is inconvenient to ship a PowerBook back to Apple for the service, but I'm happy with my swap, for now. Anyway, Apple's costs are limited to the round trip shipping of a PowerBook casket and the time for tech service. I'm sure that Apple gets replacement drives from IBM, Toshiba or anyone else they are purcahsing drives from. It also sends them the message that they need to be more vigiliant with their suppliers on component quality.

schroedingers_cat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2001, 12:55 PM

i had a high tone noise. And the backligh was flickering.
Battery was low ( 1h left) and when i dimmed the backlight a little lower or connected it to powerline, then sound vanishes. it was reproduceble.

Did anybody had the same effect on a TiPb?

Forum Links
Forum Rules