Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MWNY TiBook specs (real)

MWNY TiBook specs (real)
Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2001, 08:45 PM

My extremely reliable source has informed me of the MWNY revisions. If any part of this is wrong, I will never post future specs again. However, if it's right, my source is still reliable. You get the idea. Revisions: speed-bumped processor (500MHz and 600MHz), NVIDIA graphic chipset, and combo drive.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 08:48 PM

DUH!!!!. That's a general update. Anymore info?
G4 Cube Owner :-)

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the update, Kozmic. I've got my scorecard out ready to rate your source when Judgement Day arrives.

Did they mentioned if the combo drive was slot or tray?

You might also inquire about any plans for a higher screen resolution. I don't expect it at MWNY, but I'm just looking further down the road....

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 10:13 PM

Rumors! Rumors! Rumors! Give me more rumors! I need a reason to live!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Circa
Senior User
Jun 21, 2001, 12:58 AM

Circa

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2001, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Kozmik:
<STRONG>My extremely reliable source has informed me of the MWNY revisions. If any part of this is wrong, I will never post future specs again. However, if it's right, my source is still reliable. You get the idea. Revisions: speed-bumped processor (500MHz and 600MHz), NVIDIA graphic chipset, and combo drive.</STRONG>
Thats what I am waiting for!!

If this is true then it is bye bye to my PISMO and hello to the Ti PB.

Fingers and toes crossed!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

blot
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2001, 08:35 AM

If the specs are true.....

I too, will be ditching my TI and saying hello to T2

Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2001, 09:34 AM

Still dissapointing

The resolution still needs to be kicked up 1 notch...plus a 10GB hard drive isn't enough for $2500...2 OS's (3 or more if you run VPC) will fill that up fast....plus often times we're talking about big graphics files..

alas
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Kozmik:
<STRONG>My extremely reliable source has informed me of the MWNY revisions. If any part of this is wrong, I will never post future specs again. However, if it's right, my source is still reliable. You get the idea. Revisions: speed-bumped processor (500MHz and 600MHz), NVIDIA graphic chipset, and combo drive.</STRONG>
MacOS Rumours latest bit of info doesn't seem as opptimistic as your reliable source about MWNY T2

Stingray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2001, 12:09 PM

It's not a question of "What?", it's a question of "When?". If Kozmik's sources are reliable, I'd like to hear from them how Apple would manouver with the external CDRW promo, which lasts until september.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

mismith
Jun 21, 2001, 02:22 PM

there are several possibilities:

1. the announcement will be made @ MWNY and new tibooks ship immediately, with revA books at a discounted price

2. the announcement will be made @ MWNY and new tibooks ship sometime in aug or sept. seems unlikely, would seriously cut profits on revA promo, and right now that is apple's bread and butter

3. the announcement wil not be made until aug or sept, just about the time that revA sales are slowing. seems more likely, as they could stop producing revA in july, sell what they have left and start preparing the production facility. It costs a lot more to have two product lines than just one, as there would more than have to be two separate facilities. Specifications for production lines have to be checked and rechecked and then there are some prototype models that need to be made, as well as some test models straight off the line. It can also take time to get the line running at full capacity.

4. the middle book, jumbo ibook, son of pismo, or whatever you wanna call it with a bigger screen and combo drive. Supported by that clown from kuala lampur, taiwan, or wherever that factory who opened his big mouth a month ago. go2mac.com seems to support this idea.

5. just one additional model tibook, maybe the 600 mhz, with the new drive, and at a higher price than the 400 or 500, but drop the current 400 and 500 prices. Just a speculation, i really have no idea.

to be honest, i can't see how a combo drive is feasible right now. my ti/400 is pretty hot as it is. And i believe that the 500 runs 2-5 degrees Celsius hotter than that. i'm not sure. Most of you already know that a cd-rw can get pretty hot on its own, not to mention inside a nearly sealed metal case. But i give those technicians and designers at apple credit, if anyone can figure it out, they can.

All in all, i wish we could just put this to rest. We have no idea what apple could be doing. There must be 8 billion possibilities. They could be merging the ibook and tibook all together and coming together to form one laptop for all, a la winME + NT equals XP. Or a nuclear weapon for that looks just like a tibook, so they won't question it on an airplane. Maybe they have scrapped the computer business and are working on an aircar. What about using quantum mechanics to bundle a tibook with a transporter, much like "beam me up scotty...," but you would need parallel processing for like 1000 g4 733mhz, and even if you could fit 'em in a 'book, you would never be able to cool it, unless you included a COOLpad. How about a device that would harvest energy from your body and create other machines and take over the world, and then create an elaborate computer program to make us think we are still living. Isn't that a movie or something. Maybe there isn't really an Apple computer, it could be the US government, trying to brainwash us all in the largest conspiracy yet, or is that MS. Whatever.

<�ig�>
Jun 21, 2001, 04:06 PM

I won't buy TiBook until it ain't got higher resolution screen.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2001, 12:20 AM

the next tibook better not have that p.o.s. nvidia in it. Id take a rage 128 pro over a geforce 2 any day, and I doubt apple will forget its core user base in favor of, hah, gamers. especially on the tibook. as it stands the drivers on the geforce are junk, because of which the 2d performance SUCKS. no matter how lazy ati is, they got the 2d front locked down, and for the people who rely on macs the most, thats all that matters.

glurx
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Moderator:
<STRONG>Still dissapointing

The resolution still needs to be kicked up 1 notch...plus a 10GB hard drive isn't enough for $2500...2 OS's (3 or more if you run VPC) will fill that up fast....plus often times we're talking about big graphics files..
</STRONG>
I completely agree.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

glurx
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2001, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by C33:
<STRONG>

MacOS Rumours latest bit of info doesn't seem as opptimistic as your reliable source about MWNY T2</STRONG>
MOSR isn't all that accurate. We'll know soon who's got good sources.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

wags982
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2001, 01:37 AM

From what I gather (and believe me, I've been doing a lot of research lately), it looks like we WON'T be getting much of a revision for the TiBook at MWNY, if any... and that really annoys me for the following reason: I need to get a laptop for college, which starts September 5.

It would appear that Apple won't be introducing the big Powerbook revision until mid September, and thus if I ordered one immediately, I would still have to go for about a month of college without a computer. This is a BIG DEAL, since I'm off to one of those technical instititions where computers are used for EVERYTHING. I could go ahead and buy a current Powerbook, but they're so UNDERPOWERED. From what I've heard, as well as from personal experience, only DP G4's and G4 733's run OS X well, so even the ultra-expensive Powerbook 500 is lacking in that department... Rage128 is seriously sub-par considering games are currently being tailored for the GeForce3 (yes, of course I'll be playing some games on my new machine...). Those are my two biggest concerns. I'd hate to buy a current PB right after MWNY (I'll at least wait until then to see what emerges...), only to have the model I've been waiting for be introduced only two months later...

One of my friends just bought a Toshiba laptop with a GeForce2Go and an 800MHz Pentium III for college--for $2000. LAST YEAR for college, another friend bought himself a 650MHz Dell with a Rage128. Imagine the embarrasment if I paid $2600 for a 400MHz PBG4, or even a whopping $3500 for a 500MHz (both with Rage128). It just seems like I'd be paying a disproportionate amount for last year's technology.

I imagine that many soon-to-be college students are facing this dilemma (at least the Mac users). My only hope is that Apple really is on the ball--that the revision WILL be ready before September--and that the rumors are thus incorrect. What would you guys do in my situation?

Circa
Senior User
Jun 22, 2001, 01:44 AM

I still today believe that the most reliable source for a rumor site has been Apple Insider , they have always had rumors right on the money...

We can expect one soon probably.
Circa

wags982
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2001, 01:50 AM

You're right about the pending update, Circa:

"Thursday, June 21, 2001
Resuming publication, soon... Stay Tuned."

Circa
Senior User
Jun 22, 2001, 02:11 AM

Yep,
Circa

TibookX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 12:19 AM

this seems completely logical for apple right now. if they can launch the new titanium at the show and have them ship in time for the next school year. they would keep offering the vst because if they offer the combo drive people might still want the other drive and its not going to hurt apple anyway.

but then again who knows? well have to wait and see
Tibookx
(TI 550/256/30)

Stingray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 10:10 AM

One reason they WON'T be announced is Son Of Pismo, if you believe in its existence. If such a thing is announced, I think Apple would target it for students and skip the Titanium so the SOP would be an immediate hit. They don't want to confuse the market with 3 appealing, fresh notebooks in 1 megashow.

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Circa:
<STRONG>I still today believe that the most reliable source for a rumor site has been Apple Insider , they have always had rumors right on the money...

We can expect one soon probably.</STRONG>
I stopped going to appleinsider because it's been almost two months since they've posted anything mac related. there's so much going on with with the mac but you wouldn't really know it by judging from how infrequently they update thier site. Maybe they are more accurate than MOSR but it doesn't satisfy my thirst for knowledge if they wait til a new mac product is almost out the door to reveal its secret specs.

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 12:49 PM

Please no higher resolution for me...The main problem is that nearly all the applications, games or Director multimedia apps are made for 800*600 or 1024*768.

And when you play at 1024*768 on a higher resolution LCD screen that's really ugly, big pixels and everything...

I'm happy with my Tibook but I'll sell it if the new revision has a GeForce or Radeon and a bigger Hard Drive, with OS X 10 GB is too small...maybe a combo drive but I don't think we will have CDR/DVD on the low entry model.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2001, 03:18 PM

I am 100% sure that the TiBook revision will get higher resolution. If not, something is really wrong. Even iBook has better resolution/inch. Just cut iBooks LCD a bit larger and stick it on Ti. That's all I am asking to Mr. Jobs.

pead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by wags982:
One of my friends just bought a Toshiba laptop with a GeForce2Go and an 800MHz Pentium III for college--for $2000. LAST YEAR for college, another friend bought himself a 650MHz Dell with a Rage128. Imagine the embarrasment if I paid $2600 for a 400MHz PBG4, or even a whopping $3500 for a 500MHz (both with Rage128). [/QB]
Join your stoopid windozer buddies, get a Toshiba and stop bothering us!

The Dude
Banned
Jun 24, 2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by pead:
<STRONG>

Join your stoopid windozer buddies, get a Toshiba and stop bothering us!</STRONG>
He isn't bothering us. It is a fact that Apple is slowly falling behind in things like GPUs and CPU megahertz speeds.

If Apple has any sense, they will do a first for the PowerBook series and introduce both the nVidia GeForce2Go and ATI Radeon Mobility to appease both markets, gamers and graphics gurus. This could be a BTO option. They could even go so far as to make the amount of VRAM a BTO option!

Stingray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2001, 07:09 AM

Just had a thought. If the boys at ATi don't manufacture the Rage 128 chipset (and all its variants i.e. Mobility) anymore, Apple is stuck on reserves. Certainly not enough until fall. So, if I understand the situation correctly, they HAVE to bump the iMac, iBook, TiBook (and 466MHz tower too) to something else, and soon, or they won't be able to make new machines. The iMacs are sure to be upgraded at MWNY and so are the towers, but iBooks and TiBooks are iffy. You see my point?

Just my 0.02 NIS

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Stingray:
<STRONG>
Just my 0.02 NIS

</STRONG>
Are you sure you don't mean 2 Agorot ??

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2001, 03:27 PM

400 Mhz G4
128 MB
DVD
10GB HD
15.2" Mega Wide Screen Display
Ati Rage Mobility 8MB

500 Mhz G4
256 MB
DVD
20 GB HD
15.3" Mega Wide Screen Display
Ati Rage Mobility 8MB

Both come with a free CDRW from SmartDisk.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2001, 01:32 AM

I would love to have a PowerBook Carrying Case with a Ti. It could have an apple logo on it. The case would be like this case/sleeve from Madsonline. I would love to have a carrying case with an Apple logo on it. Come on Apple it shouldn't be too hard to create one for us.

Slogans could be:
Where do you want to go with your Apple Carrying Case today?
Or all your Apple Carrying Cases belong to us.

Just joking about the slogans, but totally serious about the case.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 02:43 AM

apple used to make, or rather pay port to make cases. I never knew about this untill I got my first pb, they used to include catalogs for the line of cases with the pbs. come to think of it they had some really tight cases. anything you could possibly want from cargo to nylon to leather, all with either the old school colored apple or a silver apple depending on the finish.

Stingray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

Are you sure you don't mean 2 Agorot ??

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]</STRONG>
Just thought a non-israeli would figure it as New Israeli Shequel, he wouldn't understand what the hell is AGOROT!

P.S. Nice to know I'm not the only isreli in Mac forums.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2001, 02:04 PM

I'd love to have an Apple case!
Anyone listening up there!

t

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: t_hah ]

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2001, 03:17 PM

wags982, I had the same problem as you last summer. Back then everyone was talking that the PB G4 was coming out any day now. I was more pessimistic and thought it was coming in January (am I a genious or what?) but there was this Apple event in September (Seybold, I think) where there was talk that the G4 was coming then. But I didn't want to head off to school with no computer in hand. So I bought the Pismo. I definitely made the right decision because Apple was offering them at a huge discount back then for education users. I got my Pismo 400 for $2000. Although at Seybold they upped the hard drive to 10GB from my 6, but I made the right decision.

As for you, I would wait as long as possible for the current TiBook to drop in price, but don't plan on getting a Rev B. There is nothing wrong with this computer, and with education pricing and the VST burner you really have everything. Don't wait for a new TiBook, wait for this TiBook to go down in price.

Kozmik  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2001, 04:55 PM

Consider how long the TiBook has been on the market. Now, everyone's saying the desktop models will get a revision, so think about this. The current line of iMacs has been around since February. The current line of G4s has been around since January, and so has the Ti. So, if a February model and other January model will get revisions, why not that January model, the PowerBook G4?
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Ekim Neems
Jun 28, 2001, 07:01 PM

It's cool (and fun almost) to wonder what the new rev. will be, but as they say: thinking comes from not knowing.

Just wait for an official word, it'll be less painless and nobody will have to be wrong =)

yukon
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 01:26 AM

No way will (should) Apple let the iBook be superior feature wise to the TiBook. A "son of pismo" would have to be pretty crappy today to keep the TiBook at the top tomorrow (without a revision).

I mean, come on!

A "Professional" laptop with a tiny hard drive (half the size of my two year old drive), and a nonupgradable rage128?? Anyone here work with photoshop or osx? Kinda like my "Professional" G4 with no input/output multimedia support whatever.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

<reply to Kozmik>
Jul 1, 2001, 11:40 PM

on your last point about the revision vs. time for the tower G4's and the iMac... You asked why the TiBook wouldn't get a rev. since it was introduced at the same time as towers and before iMac, which everyone seems to be sure of rev.s at MWNY.

Well, while I would like a TiBook rev. as much as anyone else. It is less likely because it is a portable. Portables have longer turnover times than desktops because the components are smaller and more expensive.

inquisito
Jul 3, 2001, 09:41 AM

Looks like a Rev B is coming very soon, Apple have just extended the CDRW offer to the UK!! The small print of which features:

The closing date for this offer is July 27th, 2001. All purchases must be made by this date. Therefore, there must at least be a powerbook g4 with cdrw released at MWNY I would hope!

Some men see things as they are and say why?
I dream things that never were and say why not?

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by inquisito:
<STRONG>Looks like a Rev B is coming very soon, Apple have just extended the CDRW offer to the UK!! The small print of which features:

The closing date for this offer is July 27th, 2001. All purchases must be made by this date. Therefore, there must at least be a powerbook g4 with cdrw released at MWNY I would hope!

</STRONG>
I, as an iMac DV/SE (Oct. 1999) user in dire need of an upgrade, would love to see a new PowerBook G4 at MWNY. It is my intent to purchase a laptop between now and September; I feel that if I have the money by the end of MWNY I will buy it then regardless of if it's been updated or not. But if I won't be able to purchase it until August, then I'll hold off until it's updated - hopefully I won't have to wait too long. I have an urge to listen to this hearsay and call it fact because I'd love to buy an updated TiBook, but that's impossible. Apple UK could've easily reduced the offer for many other reasons... perhaps they don't know yet if they're going to update the TiBook at Macworld; it's happened that way before. Even with only two weeks left.

Still hopin' for the best, though!

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by inquisito:
<STRONG>Looks like a Rev B is coming very soon, Apple have just extended the CDRW offer to the UK!! The small print of which features:

</STRONG>
I, as an iMac DV/SE (Oct. 1999) user in dire need of an upgrade, would love to see a new PowerBook G4 at MWNY. It is my intent to purchase a laptop between now and September; I feel that if I have the money by the end of MWNY I will buy it then regardless of if it's been updated or not. But if I won't be able to purchase it until August, then I'll hold off until it's updated - hopefully I won't have to wait too long. I have an urge to listen to this hearsay and call it fact because I'd love to buy an updated TiBook, but that's impossible. Apple UK could've easily reduced the offer for many other reasons... perhaps they don't know yet if they're going to update the TiBook at Macworld; it's happened that way before. Even with only two weeks left.

Still hopin' for the best, though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules