Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you think bad taste exists?

Do you think bad taste exists?
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 02:39 PM

Most Mac users also appreciate aesthetics. I would then like to discuss if you believe that there is such a thing as good and bad taste. Is it something absolutely subjective or, on the contrary, it is something objective and independent from the observer?
What do you think?

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 03:03 PM

no

I think Good and Bad taste are entirely subjective. Really depends on the time and place.

In the US...

An orange shag rug or velvet paintaing may have been considered by most people to be good taste in the 70s, bad taste in the 80s, questionable taste in the 90s, and good taste again in the 00s.

In another country, who knows? Maybe the polar opposite per decade for the same object.

Lerkfish
Sep 19, 2002, 03:05 PM

But of course there is good and bad taste, how can you tell? what YOU like is good taste, what the other guy likes is BAD taste.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2002, 03:16 PM

Arrrgh Maytee! That Salty Dog John Waters's films (especially the pre-Hairspray ones) are all celebrations of universally unequivocal bad taste. Ya need look no further for evidence. Q.E.D.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 03:27 PM

Taste is socially constructed.

Taste is related to class.

This book has more than you ever want to know about the relationship:

Great book.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2002, 03:28 PM

Watch the ending theme sequence of the anime Excel Saga. Then listen to the full version of the song.

Then come back and tell me with a straight face there's no such thing as bad taste.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 03:50 PM

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 03:51 PM

Not only does it exists, but it has been exeplified by the GUI designers of Windows XP.

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 04:04 PM

Bah, I forgot. Bad taste does exist.

Directed by Peter Jackson in 1987

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 05:46 PM

Could we conclude that in art (even in design) it is impossible to tell what is good and what is bad?. Does it always depend on the observer?.
What about Kandinsky's writings?
Has anyone read "Apocaliptici e integratti" (I don�t know the translation in English, because I read it in Spanish, so I posted the original title in Italian) by Umberto Eco?
I would like to assimilate the concept of bad taste to the concept of "Kitsch".
Whereas I believe that the eye and the social surrounding of the observer is mostly the responsible of determining what is good and what is bad taste, I also believe that we can find some very basic guidelines about what is good and what is bad taste. What I will not discuss, however, is that you may like "bad-tasted" things or works, but that doesn't change their essence.
So, is good and bad taste tied to what you like or not?. Are the notions of good and bad taste tied to how good or bad (in terms of "quality") a work is?
And I also think while I type: If you may like something or not whether it is good or bad taste... what's the point of the existence of such concepts, then?
I personally like classical music, but I dislike Opera while I aknowledge they are terrific works of art...

I am not so sure about the "inexistence" of good and bad taste.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules