Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What book are you currently reading?

What book are you currently reading? (Page 2)
SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I once pointed out a basic flaw in a tax-related Supreme Court opinion - I forget if it was written by Frankfurter or Brandeis. They completely misunderstood the nature of bond valuations - that there's an inverse relationship between interest rates and the value of a bond. They got it backwards. I thought I was pretty cool that day.
I'd have been impressed. I don't know enough to spot those kinds of issues myself, but I can understand how bad it is when the error is explained to me. The main area I have been seeing it is in antitrust. There's one Supreme Court opinion by Justice Marshall called Topco that is just ludicrous. We read a nice Bork opinion that justly skewered it.

Part of the problem is surely the people the justices picks as their clerks. They seem to go for nerdy academic people like my Con Law professor, who clerked for Marshall. In fact, I think he clerked right about the time Topco was decided!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 23, 2002, 01:15 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 13, 2004 at 02:43 PM. )

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
I am currently reading "Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right" by Ann Coulter. Its a good balance for what I read here daily.

PS: Ann Coulter's hot.
You've got to be kidding. This is the same woman who said after 9/11 we should "Invade the Middle East kill all the terrorists and convert the rest to Christianity".

Definitely NOT hot. She's an idiot. Or desparate for attention at the very least.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2002, 01:19 PM

Ann Coulter and Newt Gingrich are my heroes.

< shook hands with Newt at his book-signing tour years ago.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 23, 2002, 01:23 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 13, 2004 at 02:43 PM. )

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 01:24 PM

I'm reading "The good American's handbook - how to fight communism, pray for the public and build up a strong militia."

PB.

Sheep
Oct 23, 2002, 02:29 PM

I'm reading "Thief of Time" of Terry Pratchett for the second time now.
The Discworld Series rule!

Swancoat
Oct 23, 2002, 03:07 PM

Last Book: "The Canadian Regime" by Malcolmson and Myers. I'm including my last book here because although it *is* a textbook, I did read it (cover to cover) for fun. (Or more accurately to educate myself about the principals and mechanisms behind the government). I am finished school.

Current Book: "The Bourne Supremacy" by Robert Ludlum.

I try to alternate between reading books for pure enjoyment (usually fiction) and books that will make me a better-well rounded person, like the textbook above, or literary classics (which are often very enjoyable as well).

Jeremy

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by red44dog44:
Macnn Forums [/QUOTE]

The first Post said..

Are you reading something? (the one who answers "this post" will deserve a "Golden Donkey Award").

Well done The donkey award goes to....

red44dog44

Cheers Edwin

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Sheep:
I'm reading "Thief of Time" of Terry Pratchett for the second time now.
The Discworld Series rule!
Some of the best books ever written!
I really like Guards! Guards! and the books that surround it (Captain Carrot's stories).

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 09:51 PM

very cool book!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
I am currently reading "Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right" by Ann Coulter. Its a good balance for what I read here daily.

PS: Ann Coulter's hot.
ann coulter = nazi whore!

kitchy = dumb f�ck for endorsing her and thinking she is hot!

quotes from the biatch:

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours.'"---Hannity & Colmes, 6/20/01

The "backbone of the Democratic Party" is a "typical fat, implacable welfare recipient"---syndicated column 10/29/99

To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."---MSNBC

Juan Gonzales is "Cuba's answer to Joey Buttafuoco," a "miscreant," "sperm-donor," and a "poor man's Hugh Hefner."---Rivera Live 5/1/00

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."---Hannity & Colmes, 8/17/99

"I think we had enough laws about the turn-of-the-century. We don't need any more." Asked how far back would she go to repeal laws, she replied, "Well, before the New Deal...[The Emancipation Proclamation] would be a good start."---Politically Incorrect 5/7/97

"If they have the one innocent person who has ever to be put to death this century out of over 7,000, you probably will get a good movie deal out of it."---MSNBC 7/27/97

"If those kids had been carrying guns they would have gunned down this one [child] gunman. ... Don't pray. Learn to use guns."---Politically Incorrect, 12/18/97

"The presumption of innocence only means you don't go right to jail."---Hannity & Colmes 8/24/01

"I have to say I'm all for public flogging. One type of criminal that a public humiliation might work particularly well with are the juvenile delinquents, a lot of whom consider it a badge of honor to be sent to juvenile detention. And it might not be such a cool thing in the 'hood to be flogged publicly."---MSNBC 3/22/97

"Originally, I was the only female with long blonde hair. Now, they all have long blonde hair."---CapitolHillBlue.com 6/6/00

"Anorexics never have boyfriends. ... That's one way to know you don't have anorexia, if you have a boyfriend."---Politically Incorrect 7/21/97

"The thing I like about Bush is I think he hates liberals."---Washington Post 8/1/00

On Rep. Christopher Shays (d-CT) in deciding whether to run against him as a Libertarian candidate: "I really want to hurt him. I want him to feel pain."---Hartford Courant 6/25/99

"My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism."---MSNBC 2/8/97

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 10:50 PM

"The Twenty -Seventh City" by Jonathan Franzen.
Great writer.

Ann Coulter is a dink.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 11:48 PM

Boogie Man, The Adventures of John Lee Hooker in the American Twentieth Century, by Charles Shaar Murray.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2002, 03:38 AM

China Wakes: The Struggle for the Soul of a Rising Power - by Nicholas D. Kristof and, his wife, Sheryl WuDunn

I am about to read The Human Stain for a class, but it is supposedly very good. Can't dig up the author around my room though. He just wrote it in that last couple of years.
Semper Fi

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by NosniboR80:
China Wakes: The Struggle for the Soul of a Rising Power - by Nicholas D. Kristof and, his wife, Sheryl WuDunn
I read that for a Chinese foreign policy class a few years ago. Good book! If you liked that, you might also like The Great Wall and the Empty Fortress: China's Search for Security by Andrew Nathan and Robert Ross.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 08:06 AM

Out of mild curiosity, when the heck is the next Harry Potter book coming out???!!!

-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2002, 09:31 AM

No one knows

You would know, if someone knew.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/

I follow this site, for my Harry Potter News... I know its pathetic, but I don't care!

-Owl

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 10:14 AM

I saw somewhere that it was supposed to be out around July 2001... maybe we'll hear something once the second movie opens.

Sheep
Oct 24, 2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ink:

Some of the best books ever written!
I really like Guards! Guards! and the books that surround it (Captain Carrot's stories).
I totally agree that the stories with the Ank-Morpork Watch rock!!
Have read them all
I'm a huge Discworld lover...
But you should really try The Thruth and Thief of Time, they are both amazing!

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 12:46 PM

Just did a little checking... Harry Potter and The Order of The Pheonix should be out soon.

valeriam01
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2002, 01:37 PM

The complete four volume Arabian nights...though I just went shopping yesterday and picked up the 2002 Best Travel Writing. Also lovely textbooks: Modern Abstract Algebra, Mass Nutrition in Ancient Rome, and Jason and Fleece...yay for math and classics majors everywhere!!! dorkus malorkus.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Sheep:
But you should really try The Thruth and Thief of Time, they are both amazing!
I've read The Truth (pretty good), but I'll have to check out Thief of Time. I think I've logged about 20 Discworld novels so far...

:XI:
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 07:28 PM

"Originally, I was the only female with long blonde hair. Now, they all have long blonde hair."---CapitolHillBlue.com 6/6/00
I hope this bint doesn't have her finger anywhere near the nuke-launch-button-thing�

Neal Stephenson is also a mac user! (since everyone goes on about Douglas Adams, i thought i'd share, oh, and so is Gibson. and Chrichton.)

From 'Zodiac' by Neal Stephenson:
� and refrains from becoming too despondent over my spending eight to sixteen hours a day welded to a Macintosh.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 09:26 PM

Neal Stephenson is a new favorite of mine. I finished Snow Crash, put it down, and went straight to the bookstore to pick up Diamond Age. I thought I'd die of old age waiting for the next William Gibson novel but Neal definitely fills the void. Maybe now I'll be reading Gibson while waiting for Stephenson's next book instead of vice-versa.

I'm also now reading Yellow Dog Linux (John Worsely/TerraSoft). Yup, I'm trying Linux again. Rather than sell my dual-USB iBook I'm keeping it as a Linux learning tool. This is my second go-round with YDL and is only taking place due to the utter failure of MandrakeLinux 8.2 to install. Here we go again...

Forum Links
Forum Rules