Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 22" Cinema Display and G5

22" Cinema Display and G5
Chito
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 03:45 PM

I have an interesting trade offer for a 22" Cinema Display that I would use with my G5. I've got a Radeon 9800 and am wondering if the display is compatible? Any problems/drawbacks using the older display? I thought there was some discussion about exactly this setup on Apple's discussion boards but they're down right now. I want to get back to this guy soon as it's the best offer I've had and I REALLY want to move up from my 17" display.
Thanks
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 05:50 PM

First off, the 22" cinema display is awesome. . sure it aint the newest/greatest anymore, but in it's day everbody drooled over how awesome they were (and they still get nice drool today)...

Now, the thing is, if you have an ADC radeon 9800 (which is the only one that works in the G5, I think) -- it's got a blue PCB, (and ADC, of course!) then you can run the cinema display without a hitch.

Otherwise, you'd need a DVI to ADC power adaptor, which costs $99.

Hope ya enjoy your new monitor! If anything, your friends or whoever stops by will get a kick out of it, especially since they tend to look like no other monitor on this planet (except of course, other cinema displays from that time)
Aloha

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 10:15 PM

Thanks Link. My 9800 has a DVI and an ADC port. I'm going for it!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules