Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger orders from PCMall (MacMall) already in customers' hands

Tiger orders from PCMall (MacMall) already in customers' hands (Page 2)
passmaster16
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.S.
There better be an update for this (and I mean free one)...having to spend another $500 just because I updated with what I would call a very minor update is beyond me. I will return to 10.3.9 and stay there and only be out $119 instead of $500.
It should be a free update. Apple probably wasn't going to release it until their "official" ship date or not long after that.

Markk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 06:37 PM

I received my copy yesterday, installed today and everything went very smooth. Apple has a winner here! My computer is running better than ever (G4 Desktop). Here is my problem. MacMall (ClubMac) called me today and they want me to ship the DVD package back to them. They admit they screwed up, sent it too early and want it back. They said they will pay shipping and send me iLife plus the Tiger again after April 29, Apple's promised date. So what do I do? Should I uninstall the program and reinstall Jaguar plus all the updates and send it back? Or should I do nothing. They (MacMall) said if I do not return it I will receive NO APPLE Support for this product I paid for. Wow, what a mess! MacMall obviously can not read instructions very well, all I did was order and pay for the product last week.
If I uninstall the program what files should I backup so I do not loose my valued files and applications? Just the home folder or what?

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I can't see Apple charging for it, they are probably just waiting for the official release of tiger.

"Official" release of Tiger...I read on another site that some people are getting phone calls from the vendor (I will not repeat it but you can find it easily) asking to return the orders since it was a mistake. That is by far the funniest thing I have ever heard.

What are two things heard at that office sometime today??? "Got a minute?" and (Trump voice) "You're fired!!!"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Markk
They (MacMall) said if I do not return it I will receive NO APPLE Support for this product I paid for.
Wow, are you kidding me? They said that? 100% garbage, don't return it whatever you do.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 06:54 PM

Leave it installed, they are lying about the support and version part. Ship it back but tell them you want some compensation for their mistake.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Markk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 07:00 PM

I told them of their mistake and that their issue is with Apple, not me. They said my Apple registration would be voided, my product regisration would be invalid. What? I am worried the Apple police will break down my doors tonight.........Besides paying for all the shipping they offered me iLife or iWork. I am very surprised this is not headline news on MacNN, these calls for return from ClubMac aka MacMall. Anybody else got their telephone call yet?
( Last edited by Markk; Apr 22, 2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Addition)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 07:02 PM

(in response to someone saying piracy confirmed the build number a few weeks ago)

Well duh, the problem is not everyone believes him as he doesn't have a retail DVD in his hands.
You don't think that a 5/5 record is enough credibility for him? He called 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4... good enough for me

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
You don't think that a 5/5 record is enough credibility for him? He called 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4... good enough for me
Exactly.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:07 PM

I told them of their mistake and that their issue is with Apple, not me. They said my Apple registration would be voided, my product regisration would be invalid. What? I am worried the Apple police will break down my doors tonight.........Besides paying for all the shipping they offered me iLife or iWork. I am very surprised this is not headline news on MacNN, these calls for return from ClubMac aka MacMall. Anybody else got their telephone call yet?
hell if you installed it, make a copy of the DVD, and ship it back. Also be sure to email MacNN, they don't have your phone tapped.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:07 PM

They are feeding you a line of crap. Don't listen to them. Just ignore them and be on your merry way.

Polo2883
Apr 22, 2005, 07:10 PM

leave it installed, can send it back but request for something else as compensation. Let's say a ipod shuffle!!!!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:13 PM

Officially, Apple tech support probably won't support Tiger until the 29th, but that doesn't mean you can't have it a week early.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 22, 2005, 07:13 PM

The support you have is for the Mac you bought, not just some software upgrade. As long as you have the hardware support you have everything.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:14 PM

Buying Tiger at MacMall = $113.99
Posting to the 'NN Forums = $0.00
Taking pictures of the Tiger Retail box for all to drool over = $0.00

Having MacMall call you back after making a huge mistake and lying to you in order to save their own ass = PRICELESS!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:22 PM

Apple is probably just threatening them saying they will lose their licence. They probably promised Apple they would get each copy back.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:22 PM

Markk

Highly impressive!

passmaster16
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Highly impressive!
Total Posts: 2 (0.00 posts per day)

Very

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 07:31 PM

Now I feel cheated...I want them to call me to return my copy. Heck, I even have an account manager with them.

I want my call, dammit.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 08:33 PM

hell if you installed it, make a copy of the DVD, and ship it back.
Exactly. And on top of this they're going to send you free iLife or iWork, and pay for all of the shipping.

I don't see the problem here. It's a win/win for anyone in this situation.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Markk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 12:27 AM

Apple is probably just threatening them saying they will lose their licence. They probably promised Apple they would get each copy back.
I guess I am the only one to get the call? Or the only one to admit it. Thanks for all the support, great ideas. So far, all I can say is that you will like Tiger. I certainly see a performance increase in my banking and company connections. So far it seems solid. Install was easy!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
That's what I asked, and so far, the mods are being strangely quiet.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm being quiet because I'm in the middle of a move from Asheville, NC to Long Beach, CA.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 05:02 AM

Shocking :o
- I cant believe people have got it all ready

Can we get some screenshots??
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

crossdisolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 01:13 PM

Markk can you tell us what build the Tiger has please...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by crossdisolve
Markk can you tell us what build the Tiger has please...
8A428.

crossdisolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 01:37 PM

thanks...

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 02:20 PM

I have it installed as well, If I get a call (nothing yet) I will return it for the ilife/iwork freebees but I AM NOT un-installing it, way too much work went in to backup and installing 10.4 in the first place.

I will say, it is very,. very nice and now I am going to see how well my V551 phone works with it!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 02:21 PM

Build 8A428 out the box, BTW

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 02:46 PM

So now we know that the Tiger Final build is 8A428.

So I guess the 2.53gb .dmg that leaked out was legit. Anyone do a "Get Info" on their retail disk and post the size?

Thanks.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 02:58 PM

Send it back on the 28th.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
The support you have is for the Mac you bought, not just some software upgrade. As long as you have the hardware support you have everything.
This is correct. OS support is included in AppleCare
i dont know about the OS release..

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
Send it back on the 28th.
lol

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 08:49 PM

Markk

Definitely send it back, if they are going to give you iLife for free.

You have it installed on your mac. MacMall can't check it you haven't deinstalled the software.

As for your warranty - it will start on 4/29 when Tiger is officially released. It is not your fault that MacMall sent the item to you early, plus Apple are not going to be able to find out or even be bothered to track those who received it early.

But I would send it back anyway cos MacMall will give you free stuff - go for it dude. Make a copy of the disc if you feel you need a copy in case something goes wrong with the machine.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Markk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks Neil. I doubt my computer will crash, so far Tiger runs great! I wonder what the cost of this is to MacMall? I would love to hear the calls they are getting from Apple. But if the Apple Store is doing the same thing, guess there is enough smoke for a while.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 03:39 AM

Come off it people. tiger has been finished for a long long time

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
I feel a "Trump" is about to happen to somebody at PCMall...

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 03:42 AM

Send it back. This is of course after you copy it. Have it installed, then send it back. Then they will send you some free software and the tiger again when it's "out"

It's all the same. People have been getting this build for damn near 2ish weeks ago... (dev and warez)

Originally Posted by sideus
They are feeding you a line of crap. Don't listen to them. Just ignore them and be on your merry way.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 03:44 AM

Why don't you just leave it installed, and send it back to get your free iLife? What's the big deal? You have tiger now, and you don't need the actually disc for 10 days (and if your worried about it make a backup copy before you send it back)

crossdisolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 06:18 AM

I would NEVER ship it back it not your fault... and there a already other users who have received Tiger 10.4 according to macfixit...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...37183#comments

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 09:51 AM

I would NEVER ship it back it not your fault... and there a already other users who have received Tiger 10.4 according to macfixit...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...37183#comments

Of course it's not his fault, but all he's out by shipping it back is a little bit of time. If he doesn't have ilife, he'll get it for free. If he does, maybe he can ask for something else. (As previously suggested, go for the Shuffle!) I think the threats were way over the top, but ship the thing back -- and leave Tiger installed. I'm excited for Friday...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 10:52 AM

I would NEVER ship it back it not your fault...
If he gets iLife or iWork as compensation and the shipping is free, he'd be stupid not to send it back.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 12:31 PM

On principle - I wouldn't send it back. I would ask the rep on the phone for his/her name. Also say you want their threats that support will be invalid in writing. That will make them back off quickly. As soon as you say "in writing" people start to think about thier actions - even if you never plan to do anything.

If you do want to negoitate something from them - try to get hardware. Ask for a 512 meg shuffle or some ram. They offer software because the cost of pressing a disk is very low compared to the cost of an individual stick of ram.

Or tell them because of the crappy service you have recieved, you want a full refund.

inchhigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jguidroz
C.A.S.

Can you check this file

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/rbconfig.rb

and see if -arch i386 is set for the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS variables

J
here ya go:

Code:
CONFIG["CFLAGS"] = "-arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe -pipe -fno-common" CONFIG["LDFLAGS"] = "-arch i386 -arch ppc "
hope that makes you happy

Forum Links
Forum Rules