Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Animation Domination (FG, AD, Simpsons)

Animation Domination (FG, AD, Simpsons)
gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

Caution....some spoilers may be below. Read at your own risk...

Simpsons:
Ok the first episode with Ray Ramano was pretty stupid, although not nearly as stupid as previous shows. The second episode was actually semi funny. It kind of caught me off guard. The opening scene with the battlefield and the swingline stapler was pretty cool. So I ask...is this a turn around the corner? Are the long dumb stupid episodes of simpsons where they try and get as many guest celeb. voices in one episode actually over? Have they actually started focusing more on the stories and characters again? Only time will tell....

Family Guy:
GREAT episode. However, there were a couple things that bugged me. Did anyone else find the relationship between Brian and Stewie a tad odd? In previous episodes Stewies always referred to Brian as "dog" or "dogbert" or "quadraped" etc etc etc. In fact the only time I can remember Stewie actually calling Brian by his name is at the end of "The Thin White Line" where Stewie comes running down the stairs when Brian is in the Taxi. And yet, right away the second lines (after "hehhhh, it's good to have land ) were, "You know Brian..." This just struck me as odd. Totally unrelated to how their relationship used to be in previous seasons. Ok other than that it was a pretty good episode. Mila really needs to work on the voice of Meg, that was highly annoying. Meg has now had three different voice styles. First season Meg, second and third season Meg, and now fourth season Meg. Chris's "new" voice didn't bother me that much. Then again, I didn't notice much change. So is Peter still a fishermen? Or did he move on from that profession? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

American Dad:
Ok, I know I'm in the very small minority that actually likes this cartoon. I think it's hilarous. Then again, I'm a PoliSci major and a politics junkie. The part with Trump had me in tears. Other great lines..."Sweet Sean Hannity!!!" "Now honey, you know I love Brit Hume" "honey, we can't let them move in next door!! (referring to the two gay TV reporters)"Honey, do you know what they are!!!....They're REPORTERS!!! part of the liberal media!!"
Long live American Dad!
( Last edited by gumby5647; May 2, 2005 at 11:58 AM. )
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 12:01 PM

Meh, not worth my time until they add Futurama. Maybe the appearance of Bender in the last (or one before that) episode of the simpsons bodes well.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 12:27 PM

I missed the first Simpsons, but the second one with the fat farm was really funny. The whole Bavarian Youth Hostel schtick has hysterical. When Homer sang 2 verses of 99 Luftballoons I nearly peed myself.

FG was brilliant (as usual). If anything it was even edgier than before. There had to be at least 3 major pedophile gags in there. And the opening bit where Peter names all the shows that Fox has aired was awesome.

AD is kinda shakey. The dad character is very funny and all the stuff with him at work is great. But the fish and the alien are just akward and painful. REALLY akward and painful.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Mick
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 12:57 PM

Missed the Simpsons.

Loved Family Guy!

I thought American Dad was pretty good, I had not seen it before. Some pretty funny gags. The Alien character saying that mom was having a "Catch U Next Tuesday" moment was freaking hilarious!

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 01:14 PM

Second Simpsons was actually decent, but since I can't remember any jokes it obviously wasn't that good.

Family Guy was freakin' hilarious, I really can't think of the last time I laughed that hard watching network television, I am so very glad its back.

And last but not least American Dad grew on me a bit with last night's episode...will it be great? Only time will tell.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

FG was freakin' awesome! It was like the writers never missed a beat from the 3 year hiatus.
As far as the Stewie-Brian relationship, he did call him "dog" at least once, but I don't remember him actually calling him Brian. Usually they are at odds, but don't forget the whole diaper thing at the beginning! He did "let loose" on Brian with the whole "Aft Torpoedoes, Fire!" bit (Wrath of Khan reference?). After that, Brian changed him and they worked together to control the other kids.

AD was much better than that post-super bowl episode. I have hopes it will stick around long enough to be worthwhile. I thought the whole "lose you manhood" scene/s were... disturbing, at best.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; May 2, 2005 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typos typos typos)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

AD is kinda shakey. The dad character is very funny and all the stuff with him at work is great. But the fish and the alien are just akward and painful. REALLY akward and painful.
Agree and disagree.

Agree that the fish (whatever his name is) has to go. He's such a poor character with little room for growth and little potential to develope into a good character.

Disagree. Roger on the other hand fits with the show and has a TON of room for development and growth. Any time you have a smart ass alien . I'd like to see Seth ditch the fish and focus more on developing roger's character and personality.

IMO, the show has legs to run....but it will need to be tweaked a little.
4GB RAM
160GB

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Mick
The Alien character saying that mom was having a "Catch U Next Tuesday" moment was freaking hilarious!
Heh, that's such a subtle gag when spoken (not read) I wondered if people would catch it.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Heh, that's such a subtle gag when spoken (not read) I wondered if people would catch it.
I don't get it..

...then again i may be out of the loop on somethings...
4GB RAM
160GB

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
I don't get it..

...then again i may be out of the loop on somethings...

OOOOooooOOOOHHHH!!! Nevermind...i get it!
4GB RAM
160GB

meelk
Baninated
May 2, 2005, 06:05 PM

American Dad is great.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

Oewww! Dimmer Switches!!!! Dimmer Switches Everywhere!!!
4GB RAM
160GB

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
Agree and disagree.

Agree that the fish (whatever his name is) has to go. He's such a poor character with little room for growth and little potential to develope into a good character.

Disagree. Roger on the other hand fits with the show and has a TON of room for development and growth. Any time you have a smart ass alien . I'd like to see Seth ditch the fish and focus more on developing roger's character and personality.

IMO, the show has legs to run....but it will need to be tweaked a little.
Its not that Roger isn't funny. He's got some of the best lines. I guess its just the whole alien thing seems such an unnecessary contrivance. Of course, I recognize that its probably point for a show that is so self-referential but I guess I can't help compare it to Family Guy where the contrivances are so brilliant and obvious paradies of TV cliches that with AD it just seems unorgininal and akward.

Hows that over-analyzing!!!!!

<insert fart joke>
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 07:13 AM

What was with the guy covered in crap in his underwear?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
What was with the guy covered in crap in his underwear?

at mr weed's company picnic or whatever, one of the events was to catch a greased up guy (kinda like a greased hog) .. and he was taunting 'em and what not .. no one was able to catch him. it was hilarious .. to think he was a lawyer and drugs turned him into a nutty idiot.

i loved the episode!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 12:12 PM

It was catch the greased up deaf guy (hence his lisp)

"Yo nevah goona catch meee!" "See ya'll next yeear"

ha-HA!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
at mr weed's company picnic or whatever, one of the events was to catch a greased up guy (kinda like a greased hog) .. and he was taunting 'em and what not .. no one was able to catch him. it was hilarious .. to think he was a lawyer and drugs turned him into a nutty idiot.

i loved the episode!
A-ha.... I must review my FG DVDs for this show. Welcome back, FG!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 07:52 PM

god .. and i missed the weatherman .. haha ... punishment forecast. "He gon' get it"

lol ...

and back when he did the black-u-weather forecast
"It gon' rain!"

god i cant stop laughing .. poor al roker

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules