Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > 2005 Team MacNN goals...

2005 Team MacNN goals...
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 06:19 PM

I got to thinking that we need to head into 2005 with some specific goals for the team(s).

feel free to post your ideas:

Mine are:

1. I'd like to see at least two massive recruitment campaigns for new members. Maybe one in May and another in Oct. or so.

2. I'd like to make a push to re-awaken as many of our inactives as we possibly can.

3. Would like to see one MAJOR race during the summer. (all of July maybe?). On one project. With real rules...and real prizes.

any other ideas? suggestions?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2005, 06:35 PM

I agree. We're losing major traction on pretty much every project, and we're just plain tanking in SETI.

We have a very large community here, and I wish we'd take advantage of it more often with recruitment.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 06:43 PM

Yeah, we dropped two places in D2OL just this week, from #8 to #10. Ouch.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 05:09 AM

Getting new members: few are willing to put up with CLI and manually starting the DC or even worse DC that break all the time. At least the mac version of D2OL is POS that breaks on most updates of java or OS or something else.

At my work we have 100 to 200 GHz of computing power mostly PCs Win98, 2000 and XP pro. I think I could get several of those GHz donated but only it it is a simple installation of set and forget that does not need updates in a long time.

F@H seem to be a good candiate I have installed it on two Win98 boxes with pentium III CPUs, I will see how that turn out before I start to ask people to donate

Seti is the only DC for the classic Mac OS and works well with those slower macs and PCs say below 300 MHz, I have some of those running as well

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 11:00 AM

so how would we go about re-awakening some of our inactives?
4GB RAM
160GB

Seattle
Jan 12, 2005, 11:25 AM

I just joined the seti group with almost 75000 WUs.

Patrick

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2005, 12:23 PM

Setting goals is nice; implementing ways to meet those goals is even better.
If the goal is more members, plan a recruitment drive.
If installing a client is hard, write up good instructions or code a little app to make it easier.
And so on.
Take action. If you do a recruiting run, I can get things posted in other forums, and hopefully on the main page.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 02:02 PM

I've been dropping PM's to members in the iMac forum that say they got (or are getting) a new mac. Maybe we can snag a few here and there....here is a copy of the message i've been sending:

Put your new iMac to work!!! Join us at Team MacNN...Crush your enimies!!!

Want to find Aliens? Run the SETI@home client

Want to help find cures for Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's diseases? Folding@home is the client for you

Want to crack 72bit encryption and win $1000 dollars? Run the RC5 client.

Both Folding@home and RC5 are enhanced to take advantage of the G4/G5's altivec co-processor.

stop by http://team.macnn.com and check us out!

PM me if you have any questions about set up/installation

Brandon

-------

Yah i know i left D2OL and Predict out....but i'm not that familiar with those clients. Those three seem to be our heavy weights.
4GB RAM
160GB

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
I've been dropping PM's to members in the iMac forum that say they got (or are getting) a new mac. Maybe we can snag a few here and there....here is a copy of the message i've been sending:

Put your new iMac to work!!! Join us at Team MacNN...Crush your enimies!!!

Want to find Aliens? Run the SETI@home client

Want to help find cures for Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's diseases? Folding@home is the client for you

Want to crack 72bit encryption and win $1000 dollars? Run the RC5 client.

Both Folding@home and RC5 are enhanced to take advantage of the G4/G5's altivec co-processor.

stop by http://team.macnn.com and check us out!

PM me if you have any questions about set up/installation

Brandon

-------

Yah i know i left D2OL and Predict out....but i'm not that familiar with those clients. Those three seem to be our heavy weights.
This is the best advertisement (and only) I have seen here in a long while, since we did the last competition. GREAT JOB!!!!

Keep up the good work!

Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 01:56 AM

heh. i figured one small quick PM was better than adding on a reply to every thread...and/or clogging their email box.

I need to revise the message a little. I forgot to mention that Seti was the only OS 9 compatible client.....and such

can someone maybe take the PowerMac, PowerBook and iBook forums? Revise the message for the apporpriate machine...and just drop PM's to the newbies? I've got the iMac forum under control
4GB RAM
160GB

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Seattle:
I just joined the seti group with almost 75000 WUs.

Patrick
Yea, I noticed... Just when I was holding all the 24 hour, weekly, monthly, and I'm just on the verge of taking the yearly crunch-rate spots.

Well, welcome to the team, I wish I could say there was more competition in the SETI group, but the top 1% do about 99% of the work .

jarling
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2005, 03:05 PM

when recruiting for the last race, to form subteam Lurker I PMed all the people who had posted only a few times in our Team forum or who hadnt posted in a long time.

Mark Asiala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
E@H stock client is also altivec enhanced and Alex has a super-enhanced SETI client. The G5 quads are crushing the competition in RAC for both E@H and S@H.

Forum Links
Forum Rules