Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ethical conundrum of eating meat, and factory farming

View Poll Results: What kind of diet makes sene, with the information provided?
Poll Options:
Cruelty-free diet 11 votes (30.56%)
Vegetarian 6 votes (16.67%)
Vegan 0 votes (0%)
No Change 19 votes (52.78%)
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
Ethical conundrum of eating meat, and factory farming (Page 3)
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post

The animals require meat to survive. Humans do not. At any rate, a lion treats it's food in a far less cruel manner than humans do.
The point: it's a part of nature that animals kill and eat other animals.

It's merely someone's belief that humans have 'evolved' past that themselves, or that there's any moral issue involved. IE: A lion is morally exempt, therefore when it bites the throat out of a gazelle and eats it, its perfectly natural. But somehow a human can't have a steak because there's some moral absolute that states otherwise.

Personally, I think that's a whole load of horseshit. It's merely someone's BELIEF that there's anything "immoral" about humans eating meat. A belief that's no different than someone's religious belief.

I have no problem what-so-ever with people believing whatever they want. I don't eat much if any red meat myself- it's a personal choice, as it should be for anyone.

It's just when people start trying to force their beliefs on others that the problems start. If others choose to eat meat- a perfectly normal part of the natural world- then fine.

Also, the whole "cruelty free" nonsense, is just that. That just reeks of another of those ways people exempt themselves from whatever it is they're thumping on about, because they've found a little 'loophole' for themselves. If you believe it's wrong to kill animals for food, knock off all the what way of being killed and consumed is "cruel" or what isn't nonsense.

Lions don't torture and rape their food before they eat it.
Ever see a mere house cat catch a mouse?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 05:24 PM

Ethics are just excuses for doing what you really want to do. There is a right thing and a wrong thing in every situation. Ethics be damned.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Ethics are just excuses for doing what you really want to do. There is a right thing and a wrong thing in every situation. Ethics be damned.

V
Oh, this is just screaming to be quoted again. For posterity. Or something.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 06:40 PM

Mad Cow Disease is God way of telling you bastards not to eat red meat.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
It's God's way of reminding us that we should stop fucxing with shiat we know nothing about or we'll create diseases we know even less about. There was nothing wrong with red meat 'til a couple pinheads thought too much about ways to meddle with it.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Poor science created that monster. Just like it will create some rather horrendous diseases due to tampering with human genetics (if it hasn't already).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 10:40 AM

I pretty much followed an omnivore diet for the first 30 years of my life, and to be completely honest, never had a clue about what went on in factory farms and other meat production facilities.

I made an effort to educate myself about the horrendous effects of meat consumption on society, the environment and politics and turned vegetarian over-nite – haven't looked back since.

To each his own, I guess, but turning a blind eye towards the tremendous amount of cruelty going on, simply because people want to continue their meat eating habits, makes me shake my head with disbelief (at times).

It's all rather sickening.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos View Post
I pretty much followed an omnivore diet for the first 30 years of my life, and to be completely honest, never had a clue about what went on in factory farms and other meat production facilities.

I made an effort to educate myself about the horrendous effects of meat consumption on society, the environment and politics and turned vegetarian over-nite – haven't looked back since.

To each his own, I guess, but turning a blind eye towards the tremendous amount of cruelty going on, simply because people want to continue their meat eating habits, makes me shake my head with disbelief (at times).

It's all rather sickening.
So, you're painting all meateaters with that broad brush, eh?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
So, you're painting all meateaters with that broad brush, eh?
Not at all. But, from my experience at least, only very few people who indulge in meat eating habits take it upon themselves to actually find out what "goes into" making that delicious burger etc.

And a lot of "them", even if they do find out, simply don't do a damn thing about it.

Of course there are those too who try to do their best to minimize the suffering in the production cycle...definitely a step in the right direction.

Like I said, to each his own.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 11:06 AM

How did "poor science" and create the monster that is mad cow disease? I don't know much about it at all, but I thought it came from feed companies grinding up animals like sheep for feed for other animals.

greg

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
How did "poor science" and create the monster that is mad cow disease? I don't know much about it at all, but I thought it came from feed companies grinding up animals like sheep for feed for other animals.

greg
I'm sure these multi-multi-million dollar feed companies studied it in their labs to see if the practice is harmful. Not to mention the state universities that work hand-in-hand with these mega-farms (and rely on their sizeable donations).
- Thomas Paine

The Left
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 11:40 AM

Not at all. But, from my experience at least, only very few people who indulge in meat eating habits take it upon themselves to actually find out what "goes into" making that delicious burger etc.

And a lot of "them", even if they do find out, simply don't do a damn thing about it.
this is why legislation/laws are needed to enforce a ethical diet on those too stupid to think for themselves.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Left View Post
this is why legislation/laws are needed to enforce a ethical diet on those too stupid to think for themselves.
Stalin, Mao, and Castro all tried that, and failed.
- Thomas Paine

The Left
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 11:56 AM

Cuba has a very low meat consumption rate compared to the rest of the world so I would not call that a failure at all.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 11:59 AM

Interesting, I wasn't aware Stalin, Mao or let alone Castore issued laws regulating dietary habits in regards to vegetarianism…

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 12:26 PM

Interesting, I wasn't aware Stalin, Mao or let alone Castore issued laws regulating dietary habits in regards to vegetarianism…
They all had widespread studies done, entire provinces regulated and watched. It didn't work though, people would simply get the food they wanted from other (not so legal) sources.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 12:28 PM

Cuba has a very low meat consumption rate compared to the rest of the world so I would not call that a failure at all.
Maybe because they're an island with very limited resources and faltering food production?

If the meat were available, they'd eat it.
- Thomas Paine

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2006, 12:42 PM

Their population is also more healthy and have a higher life expectancy than most Americans.

I'm sure not having access to Mcdonolds helps alot too.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 12:45 PM

Cuba probably has a very low overall food consumption rate, considering how the majority of the population lives in poverty. I seriously doubt they can afford to go to vegetarian restaurants either.

Holding up Cuba as a model of a vegetarian lifestyle is hardly going to give your arguement credibility.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 12:58 PM

Of course there are those too who try to do their best to minimize the suffering in the production cycle...definitely a step in the right direction.

Like I said, to each his own.
In order to eat meat you have to kill the animal, period. If you consider that cruel, then it doesn't matter if the animal is killed in an efficient manner or if its sitting on a pillow being fanned with palm fronds which is what "cruelty free" people want. I've read a number of books about meat processing--some written by vegetarians--and aside from a few concerns I have about contamination and employee safety--I don't have a problem with the practices of these plants.

The only rules a meat processing plants should have to follow are those that ensure that the end product is safe for human consumption.

People "don't do a damn thing" about it because most sensible people recognize that animals like cows and chickens are here for us to eat. Not because the Bible says so, but because that is the natural food that we need and have evolved to eat.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Their population is also more healthy and have a higher life expectancy than most Americans.

I'm sure not having access to Mcdonolds helps alot too.
My family is from Cuba, I've been there on several occasions (once legally and twice illegally), and I can tell you that their life expectancy isn't even close to that of citizens of developed countries. Castro's administration is full of **** if they claim otherwise. I've had relatives in their teens die from malnutrition, cholera, and dysentery. The place is a hellhole, with a few semi-nice places set aside for tourists and publicity.
- Thomas Paine

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2006, 01:08 PM

Yeah, just tell Americans we can abandon the lifestyle we have now, and start living like they do in Cuba. We will be miserable, but it's ok, because the animals are happy!

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
In order to eat meat you have to kill the animal, period. If you consider that cruel, then it doesn't matter if the animal is killed in an efficient manner or if its sitting on a pillow being fanned with palm fronds which is what "cruelty free" people want. I've read a number of books about meat processing--some written by vegetarians--and aside from a few concerns I have about contamination and employee safety--I don't have a problem with the practices of these plants.

The only rules a meat processing plants should have to follow are those that ensure that the end product is safe for human consumption.

People "don't do a damn thing" about it because most sensible people recognize that animals like cows and chickens are here for us to eat. Not because the Bible says so, but because that is the natural food that we need and have evolved to eat.

Well I supose the amount of suffering an animal may or may not have is up for opinion. For me the main concern is...what is in the meat? If it came from a factory it is probably loaded with pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, fat, and other nasty things. Fish farming also suffers from the same problems.

Organic free-range on the other hand is completely different.

People need to change how they think of meat. Many (if not most) of the prevantable diseases the developed world suffers from are linked to diet. Humans were never meant to eat meat every day. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, ect... all linked to diet. --- the American diet that is.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Left
Ok, that settles it. You have to be a sock puppet.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

Ok, that settles it. You have to be a sock puppet.

just because you disagree?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

No, because you're a joke.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
No, because you're a joke.
? well sorry you disagree

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 01:59 PM

? well sorry you disagree
Oh no. He's stating provable fact.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Oh no. He's stating provable fact.
that he disagrees?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 03:23 PM

that he disagrees?
Uh... yeah.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
If it came from a factory it is probably loaded with pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, fat, and other nasty things. Fish farming also suffers from the same problems.
True, but I think many of these things are also present in vegetables(not antibiotics or hormones obviously, but certainly pesiticides aplenty). I remember as a kid seeing a chemical froth in the ditches next to corn and sugarbeat fields.

People need to change how they think of meat. Many (if not most) of the prevantable diseases the developed world suffers from are linked to diet. Humans were never meant to eat meat every day. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, ect... all linked to diet. --- the American diet that is.
Sure, the average person probably shouldn't have meat at every meal and I certainly won't dispute that people's health problems are frequently caused by what they eat. However, when I hear vegetarian people argue about how unhealthy meat is, they tend to focus on fast food at places like McDonald's or Burger King -- as if the only way to eat red meat is in between two buns with extra cheese and bacon. A lean cut of red meat with a side of *gasp* vegetables(rather than steak fries) is perfectly healthy. Substituting a chicken breast would be even better.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 02:35 AM

I'm sure these multi-multi-million dollar feed companies studied it in their labs to see if the practice is harmful. Not to mention the state universities that work hand-in-hand with these mega-farms (and rely on their sizeable donations).
Could be true, but the statements on "science" leading to this downfall were quite strong. Does anyone have anything besides supposition on the processes behind how animals like sheep were ground up and fed to other animals?

greg

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 02:58 AM

Could be true, but the statements on "science" leading to this downfall were quite strong. Does anyone have anything besides supposition on the processes behind how animals like sheep were ground up and fed to other animals?
Where'd it happen?

Is that place also a derelict spiv nation in which the inhabitants will do anything and take all manner of shortcuts to save a buck?

That's not supposition. That's fact (I'm in the National Farmers' Union of that country).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 11:59 AM

Well, that's what I was wondering. At least two people specifically blamed mad cow disease on scientific tampering with "things they don't understand." I know very little about its history, but if it was indeed transmitted by grinding up animals to feed other animals, I have my doubts that "science" was very involved in the process in any meaningful way – probably more like feed companies trying to save a buck and not testing their product at all.

Not that I don't think science does a crapload of stupid stuff. But blaming "junk science" for mad cow when no one seems to be able to produce any evidence makes me go

greg

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 12:56 PM

Why was "The Left" banninated? He/she was the one flamebaiting us to keep this thread going.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 02:59 PM

Well, that's what I was wondering. At least two people specifically blamed mad cow disease on scientific tampering with "things they don't understand." I know very little about its history, but if it was indeed transmitted by grinding up animals to feed other animals, I have my doubts that "science" was very involved in the process in any meaningful way – probably more like feed companies trying to save a buck and not testing their product at all.

Not that I don't think science does a crapload of stupid stuff. But blaming "junk science" for mad cow when no one seems to be able to produce any evidence makes me go
There was a teeny bit of science mixed in, IIRC. But what you have to remember is that those scientists are inhabitants of that derelict spiv nation. If I had to guess I'd say 75% feed companies, 25% "scientists".

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 09:56 AM

In order to eat meat you have to kill the animal, period. If you consider that cruel, then it doesn't matter if the animal is killed in an efficient manner or if its sitting on a pillow being fanned with palm fronds which is what "cruelty free" people want.
Well, given the wealth of information out there, and the mind boggling amount of senseless cruelty involved in factory farming, I personally don't see how any halfway "sensitive" and intelligent person could not at least think about changing his or her dietary habits to at least minimize the suffering involved.

I don't know what books you've read, but what I've seen and heard is hardly a "laughing matter". It's not only the lack of efficiency (both nutritional and ecological), but also the unbelievable disrespect for ethical concerns in (some) factory farms which made me reconsider my choice of food.

The "health concerns" you speak of are, of course, a direct result of these issues.

People "don't do a damn thing" about it because most sensible people recognize that animals like cows and chickens are here for us to eat.
And you know this because…? Quite frankly, even if they were alive merely for our consumption (which is not only highly debatable, but most likely flat out wrong), that still wouldn't justify the sometimes truly revolting ways animals are being treated in ritual killings, factory farms, and meat production facilities.

Forum Links
Forum Rules