Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Old iPod to New iPod; Apple Store Special Request

Old iPod to New iPod; Apple Store Special Request
gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 05:55 PM

So, I've had my green iPod mini now for a couple years and it's starting to show its age with random shutdowns and poor battery life. I was looking at a new 8GB iPod Nano online and was reeeeeeaaaaaalllllly close to buying one and then I was offered a new job position at my company. GREAT! The only problem is, I have to go to Wilmington DE for about 10 weeks of training. The good news is, there is an Apple store in a mall near the hotel...and in DE...there's no sales tax! The problem is, ...my iMac is going to be sitting on my desk at home in Southern IL.

Question is, if I buy a new iPod at the store and bring my old iPod in with me, is there any way they could transfer my library to the new iPod (maybe for a small fee?)?

I'd hate to buy a new toy and then wait 9 weeks to be able to use it
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2007, 06:51 PM

you will need a computer unless you want to PodShank.

The Mod Gods: PodShanking: physical pod on pod penetration.

Why don't you just put your whole Music collection online or have it available online. That way you could get to it anywhere.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 10:56 PM

Beg, borrow or steal (or buy) an external hard drive large enough for your music, copy it over to the drive. When you go to the Apple Store in DE, buy your new iPod, hook up the hard drive to one of the Macs in the store and transfer to the iPod. Disconnect your hard drive. Go back to the hotel and enjoy! And you've got your music library backed up as a bonus.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 08:57 AM

actually, since the disk is less than half full, i'm just going to copy the entire Library folder to the iPod disk....hook it up to a Mac at the store...transfer to iTunes...then transfer to the new iPod. Hopefully I won't get into any trouble.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules