Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Appleworks ate my homework...

Appleworks ate my homework...
trippinvicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 11:29 PM

Well, here it is, I have 2 days left of high school, and one BIG lit analysis due. I had the whole thing finished (in appleworks of course) and saved, and I was damn proud. I emailed it to myself, so I could grammar check it on my PC. When I opened the file, most of it was not there. It slowly sank in that appleworks had not been saving the file at all. Prompt after prompt I clicked yes on all those saves... what the f happened? I just had a good cry and re-wrote the paper on my PC, but it's just not the same... is there any way I can recover what I had? Do I need a patch to fix the problem?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2007, 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear that. Your situation sounds like it's kind of... a bummer.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 12:05 AM

Do you have the Appleworks file there on your Mac? Is it still missing when you open it? That does, indeed, sound like a bummer.

trippinvicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 12:22 AM

Ah yes, a total bummer. Good news is I was able to recreate the paper pretty well. There are two files by the name of dedalus that come up when I search the harddrive, and neither of them are the complete file. And by complete I mean at the stage where I thought I was saving. I kept doing the command s thing and saving it, but apparently nothing happened.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 12:24 AM

Sorry to hear that. Can't you check on the Mac to see if it's there? It may be the PC just isn't opening the file correctly.

What Mac OS version are you using? Any version of OS X and you should use TextEdit instead of AppleWorks, unless you need the integration with the other AW apps. Doesn't sound like you, it being a lit analysis and all.

trippinvicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 12:41 AM

Yes, thank you for not questioning my intelligence and computer literacy. It is (unfortunately) just as corrupt on the Mac as it is on the PC. No matter where I open the file, only the first bit, pre-edits and pre-finishing, show up.

I'm using Mac OSX and Appleworks 6, which I just learned from the apple site are a buggy combo, resulting in the exact problem I have. There is no way to recover the data, and I'm just supposed to be mor careful when saving. They say if it prompts me to save a previously "unsaved" document when I do a command-s, to cancel and save under a different file name in a different location. Also renaming or moving an open file will cause this problem. Apparently what happened to mine is that it was a multipage paper that was open for hours...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Recovering previously saved files ... <-- the mac forum that helped me sorta

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 12:47 AM

That's horrible. Puts Ellen Feiss in a whole new light.

I'd go with the other advice given in the thread, and not use AppleWorks. TextEdit is actually more capable, if you can believe it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:54 AM

A very unfortunate way to learn that AppleWorks is dead as an application - development stopped on it not long after OS X 10.0 first shipped. It is one of the definitive BCP* applications that gave Carbon such a bad reputation. I would upgrade to Pages if you can (it can import AW files), or use NeoOffice (free) if you require the whole office suite in one app.

*Bad Carbon Port of a classic Mac OS application.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2007, 08:12 AM

While it won't help you now, it may be useful for you to know that your school probably has MS Office:Mac for an insanely low price. I bought it for about $20-full version, all the bells and whistles. Sure, it's not Universal yet, but it runs more than adequately fast on my 2.0GHz MBP, and everything I use it for is completely cross-platform compatible (except for external images in PowerPoint). Word is easier to use on the Mac than on a PC, at least for me, and the whole suite is easy to set up and run. Check with your campus bookstore.

It's just wrong NOT to take advantage of Microsoft's habit of "campus-level agreements" that make their typically overpriced software available for the cost of a few lattes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nai no Kami
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by trippinvicious View Post
Prompt after prompt I clicked yes on all those saves...
That is strange because, unless you are giving it a new name to the file (Saving As) you shouldn't be prompted when saving after the initial save was done. The other possible scenario was that you were saving when closing the file with new changes made. Although it's late to say so, that's more risky than hitting Command S once in a while.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 08:57 AM

I still use AppleWorks occasionally on Tiger (I prefer a light weight spreadsheet app and don't want to buy one), and while it's dated and not very pretty I have never had a problem with it corrupting files or not saving them properly. Can you point us to the Knowledge Base article describing the problem that occurred? I'd like to know what happened.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

trippinvicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami View Post
That is strange because, unless you are giving it a new name to the file (Saving As) you shouldn't be prompted when saving after the initial save was done. The other possible scenario was that you were saving when closing the file with new changes made. Although it's late to say so, that's more risky than hitting Command S once in a while.
Yeah, that was the weird thing, I was doing command s and it was prompting me. I kinda knew something was up, but I just didn't know what to do about it. I assumed it was still saving, just being flakey about the process. The prompt would come up and it would have the file name and I would click save and it would ask me if I wanted to replace the file with the same name so I would confirm that, but turns out it wasn't saving anything at all...

trippinvicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 05:05 PM

And yeah yeah yeah, I know about the education discount. I'm actually buying one of my friend's licenses for about $15, so that's worked out...now.

I had not seen the Ellen Feiss thing. KInd of interesting considering it happened to me on a MAC!

UUGGHH! But I still love my new baby (MacBook 13, white, beautiful, grad present).

Forum Links
Forum Rules