Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook SuperDrive upgrade cost/model number.

MacBook SuperDrive upgrade cost/model number.
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 08:51 AM

My 1st generation MB's warranty is going away, and I've decided that it would be nice to put a dual-layer +/- DVD burner into mine to replace the ComboDrive. I was wondering what the cheapest option on the market is right now. A cursory search for one specific model turned up some expensive results, so I have decided to ask for a cheaper model here.

jamiemcf
Aug 10, 2007, 08:55 AM

You mean you want to do it yourself? I've seen a couple of places around offering it for about $200 overnight but can't remember where. I'd love to get me a DVD burner if I could DIY it but not paying $200...

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 12:20 PM

Yes, I want to do it myself. I already upgraded the RAM and the hard drive to 2GB and 120GB, respectively. I realize this is harder, but I want to be able to burn DVDs, and dual layer, as well. I also don't want to pay what ifixit wants for a drive, either. They gouge pretty badly, IMO. I saw a buy it now auction on ebay for the same model drive that ifixit sells the other day. It went for less than half of the ifixit price. I was thinking that I could realize greater savings by using a cheaper brand/model.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 10, 2007, 01:25 PM

Ultraslim DVD burners are still somewhat rare. The 12.5mm ones won't fit, and even those are around $70 or so. If you don't want to pay full price for the 9.5mm drives, eBay is the place to go. The Matshita (aka Matsushita/Panasonic) U-857 is the mechanism Apple uses, and so should be compatible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules