Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone else want "Folders" on the iPhone?

Anyone else want "Folders" on the iPhone?
iamnotmad
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 09:53 AM

Hi All, with all these apps, I really would like to be able to create folders on my iPhone to organize my apps. I can't be alone in this, would anyone else like to see this?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 10:49 AM

I'm content with each "screen" being like a folder to separate the apps, but I really wish there was an option for "snap to grid" like in the Finder, instead of having everything get pulled right next to the last app. Is there a blank "app" that you can download in order to have some space between the applications?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 12:53 PM

I'd like some better way to organize apps than just screen after screen of icons. You know what else I'd like? An actual background (desktop image).

-Q-
Oct 1, 2008, 12:54 PM

Nope. The multiple screens separating apps works fine for me.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 01:24 PM

Or at least the option to tab or a better user experience with multiple pages.
Scrolling speed option (+/-) support.
There's plenty of room for improvement (*cough* copy/paste *cough*).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:26 PM

I think it would be convenient to be able to go directly to screen 4 without having to go through 2 & 3.
My first thought was to click on the little dots to go directly to where I want to go, but I was wrong.

Maybe not folders, but perhaps a double tap for screen 2, triple for 3, etc... but that would get annoying if someone had an insane amount of screens. Maybe those little dots, if made a bit larger, could serve this purpose.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
There's plenty of room for improvement (*cough* copy/paste *cough*).
Yes, and we must never stop repeating this until it is realized.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2008, 10:48 AM

Mulitple screens works fine for me but this suggestion make me think. Leave the Home Screen as-is. Then, have Page 2 be a list of folders like the top level of bookmarks in Safari. You can organize, add folders as you see fit.

I don't like the idea of wallpaper on the Home Screen or other pages. It'd look way too cluttered.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 06:38 PM

I like having a screen for each category, but some sort of categorization would be welcome, whether it is in the form of folders or otherwise.

PaperNotes
Oct 3, 2008, 05:39 AM

Exposé for home page spaces.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2008, 03:11 PM

I like how its laid out... its right to the point.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 12:31 AM

I'd like some way of making App's I don't use invisible. I can delete the non-Apple ones but I can't get rid of the Apple ones. For example I have no stocks, the weather app is wrong for Australian weather and I use PcCalc not the Apple one.

For example when you hold an app down and make them all get little delete boxes pressing the delete could bring up a screen with options of Delete or Make Invisible. If an app was already invisible it could appear and have a Delete or Make Visible option.

Michael

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 06:13 AM

As 2.1 fixed the way updated apps are installed by putting them into their old location rather than jumping them back to the first page, I'm OK with the current way of things. However, there is room for improvement for sure and one relatively trivial feature to add to the current implementation would be to make the page dots at the bottom scrubbable (sweeping back and forth over them would jump whole pages at once, like the sidebar in contacts goes through the alphabet).

However, I can see a need to add some sort of way of adding a hierarchy for someone who has lots of different apps and/or bookmarks on their phone.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 05:20 PM

There's an app named "Categories" for jailbroken iPhones, which creates folder icons on the main screen. When you click the folder, a springboard-like launcher application is launched.

It functions, but I found it much too slow to be usable.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
I'd like some way of making App's I don't use invisible.
There's a jailbreak app that will do this as well.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2008, 03:30 PM

How about a scrollable dock? With stacks. Stacks could have a solid and transparent background, whatever the user prefers. Theming the iPhone would be one hack of an easy and cool job now!
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by QSilver View Post
Mulitple screens works fine for me but this suggestion make me think. Leave the Home Screen as-is. Then, have Page 2 be a list of folders like the top level of bookmarks in Safari. You can organize, add folders as you see fit.

I don't like the idea of wallpaper on the Home Screen or other pages. It'd look way too cluttered.
Drool, I like it!

xclusive
Banned
Oct 9, 2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
How about a scrollable dock? With stacks. Stacks could have a solid and transparent background, whatever the user prefers. Theming the iPhone would be one hack of an easy and cool job now!
hmmm..scrollable dock would be interesting to see...

wackerpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2008, 04:43 PM

I agree with the scrolling option. Someone mentioned using each screen as a folder, but that limits you to 16 apps per folder, and in the case of, say, Games for example, many people will end up with more than 16 little games.

If up/down scrolling were capable to go beyond 16 icons per "screen" it would make the use of screens as folders much more useful. Also, as more and more apps come out, users will have more and more screens.

The other thought I had was to use the home button (single click - since you're already at the home screen) to quickly pop up a list of the screens so you can automatically jump from the first to the last one, and also giving the capability to name each screen (whether the name is displayed on the springboard or not is another thing). This way if you have several categories of apps, and several apps per category, you can place more than 16 in each screen and skip to labeled, organized screens quickly.

Granted, this is still a two click process (home button, then the screen you want), but the software can easily recognize a horizontal swipe vs a vertical swipe, so even with scrolling there is no reason to eliminate the horizontal sliding of screens as we have now. This way, depending on the user, someone with a lot of screens can switch easily, and someone with only 2 or 3 can still just slide around.

-sigh- I can dream

retroneo
Nov 17, 2008, 04:32 AM

I have so many apps they are getting pushed off the ninth page.

It's SOOOOOO cumbersome rearranging the icons!!!

I wish I could do it in iTunes.

kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2008, 07:12 PM

I'd like to be able to put icons in any grid position I want rather than having them go from top-left to bottom-right. That way I could put three apps that go together on the same row and start with something else in the next row. I could also skip a row if I wanted to help with the visual memory of where things are.

Forum Links
Forum Rules