Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > would like to play Riven again...

would like to play Riven again...
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2008, 03:38 PM

Is my only option that 10th anniversary DVD pack thingy?

last time i saw one of those at Best Buy...Myst and Riven were PC only, while Exile was at hybrid PC/Mac version.

So i'm curious when I see this: http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anni...2544216&sr=1-1 if it is all Mac versions of Myst/Riven/ and Exile. (as i wouldn't mind trying Exile again)

advice?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2008, 03:55 PM

It doesn't matter; even if you can find a Mac version of it, you won't be able to run it unless you have a PPC Mac running OS X 10.4 or earlier.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2008, 05:47 PM

dang. would almost be worth picking up a cheapy 350mhz iMac or something just to play some of those old games
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 04:17 PM

If you have a PS1, PS2, or PS3, you can always get Riven for that. I played it on my original Playstation and it was quite playable, and looked great! Heck, if you were considering picking up an iMac top play this, just get an original playstation. Myst IV: REvelation was utterly horrible on the XBox, Riven on the PS was great. I was at first worried how it would translate (I couldn't imagine not sitting as a desk and using a mouse), but it works well. I did keep wanting to play with the lights off, but had to keep them on, as many of the puzzles required lots of notes.

Oh, and here is what I played the Myst series on:

Myst: Mac Centris610 (8MB ram, 40Mhz)
Riven: Playstation
Exile: G3 Powerbook (400MHz)
Revelation: XBox
End of Ages: Windows XP in BootCamp on a MacPro.
( Last edited by admo; Sep 29, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added systems I played the Myst series on)

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2008, 02:05 PM

There are some decent PS1 emulators out there too. I think you could also play in Parallels if you have a decent speed Mac.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules